PDA

View Full Version : Flightboards, Kneeboards etc

DTYSAPCO
21st Feb 2005, 17:18
Hello all,

What does anyone think to these kneeboards?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5557854737&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

DTY:ok:

Genghis the Engineer
21st Feb 2005, 18:25
Bog standard A3 kneeboard, they work, but nothing particularly special about them.

G

PPRuNeUser0172
21st Feb 2005, 19:03
bloody hell, what sized cockpit would you require to use that practically??? Whats wrong with the back of a fag packet and a HB pencil?;)

High Wing Drifter
21st Feb 2005, 19:16
Genghis,

I think you mean A4 :D

LondonJ
21st Feb 2005, 19:27
I used A4 during training, prefer A5 now. Whatever floats your boat.

It's unbelievable how much you have to pay for one of those in an aviation shop, its a glorified clipboard. :suspect:

Genghis the Engineer
21st Feb 2005, 21:26
I probably do.

I have an A3 kneeboard, but there aren't all that many types I can use it in.

G

helicopter-redeye
22nd Feb 2005, 07:55
Amazing, one signs into a global pilots forum to find a link to a global e auction site ...

... only to find a neighbour selling off an old kneeboard below cost.

Looks a bit wide to me. Better for having your dinner plate on rather than fitting your knee (mines a bit slimmer)

:cool:

Whirlybird
22nd Feb 2005, 08:09
Kneeboards tend to be one of those things where there are a lot of different preferences. Some people like A4-sized, some A5, some the back of a fag packet or writing on their hand. I have an a5-sized folding one which opens up into three sections, with loads of rooms for pens, extra bits of paper, etc etc. I love it for long cross-countries as I've got everything to hand. But those with longer legs than mine would find it gets in the way...there are just a few advantages when flying to being a little shrimp. :)

Why do I think discussion of this very simple topic could go on and on? :)

Jinkster
22nd Feb 2005, 21:18
Great Kneeboard, but i'd be biassed me thinks ;)

ChampChump
22nd Feb 2005, 22:15
I'll bite Whirly's bullet...(then she can't shoot me down)....

Walmart's clipboard, roughly equivalent to A5: 73 cents.

I didn't want to appear too flash, so limited myself to two (one to use, one to lose). Despite travelling extremely light I managed to lose one by the time I unpacked in Blighty, thus proving my foresight. It turned up a year later, exactly where I hadn't found it previously, so perhaps I should offer it on e-bay....:hmm:

Whirlybird
23rd Feb 2005, 08:14
ChampChump,

Go for it! Items in the aviation section on ebay go for silly prices. At one point I was buying hi-vis jackets in the local market for £1.50 and selling them on ebay for £6-10. I was doing it for charity though, before anyone accuses me of...well, anything. :eek: You'll probably get a fiver for your 73 cent "specially imported from the US" kneeboard. :ok: :)

ChampChump
23rd Feb 2005, 08:52
Or six if I embellish it with wings....:E

Bernd Podhradsky
4th Mar 2005, 15:36
Hi!

Funny thing is, that I never use a kneeboard the way I should too. I just have one and put my charts and papers in it, but I never put it round my knee, because I hate to have my legs being "blocked" by something, especially when I have to do much leg-work (cross-wind-landings etc., single-engine-failure...).

But I do think, that anything bigger than A4 is not usable in small aircraft.

Bye,
Bernd

MLS-12D
9th Mar 2005, 23:02
Personally I am not a fan of kneeboards, but those who like them may be interested in Zuluworks' (http://www.zuluworks.com/index.html) products.

mazzy1026
9th Mar 2005, 23:25
Interesting knee-board - but I doubt I will be downloading that video of how it was made! :ooh:

I use a bog standard A5 folding knee-board - does the job for me however, it does tend to slide round my leg. I have seen these ones with a half moon shaped pad that fits your leg nicely - they look pretty good, anyone use one?

:uhoh:

Whirlybird
10th Mar 2005, 08:42
mazzy,

Yes, I use it for rotary flying as it's very narrow so doesn't get in the way of the cyclic. Works well. :ok:

Before anyone asks, I had about five kneeboards at one point, but I'm now down to two. :)

MLS-12D
11th Mar 2005, 21:37
I have seen these ones with a half moon shaped pad that fits your leg nicely - they look pretty good, anyone use one?When I - infrequently! - fly with a kneeboard, I use the type marketed as the "Pilot's Pal" (http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&did=19&Product_ID=991). It is sold by Sporty's, but I purchased mine from a local pilot supply shop. The bottom is concave and it does a pretty good job of stating put, except for aerobatics.

It's simple, sturdy, and compact, and not a bad choice if you really need a kneeboard. My only complaint is that the pen/pencil holder should be in a horizontal position at the top, rather than a diagonal position on the top right corner: the latter causes both ends of your pen to sit out in the breeze, so it is vulnerable to being knocked off if you are in a moderately cramped cockpit. However, this can easily be fixed with a pair of pliers and a drop or two of glue.