PDA

View Full Version : Florida 10th March, Rocket Launch, Flight Info Needed Please....

BRL
21st Feb 2005, 14:17
Hi all. I believe there will be a rocket launch in Florida on the 10th of March.

Best mate Steve is going over there on a short holiday and has asked me if I could find out any info regarding going up for a flight to view the launch from the air.

If you can help me please let us know here or PM or email.

Many thanks,

Brl.

2Donkeys
21st Feb 2005, 14:35
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/missions/schedule.html

Nothing obvious for March 10th

BigStu
21st Feb 2005, 15:02
Try Here:

http://www.cfnews13.com/nextlaunch.aspx

Not much info, but confirms the date & time.

BRL
21st Feb 2005, 22:10
Thanks guys, knew it was around that date/time.

Need someone to take him up to watch the launch.

Any recommendations?

Keygrip
21st Feb 2005, 23:41
He'd probably get a clearer view if he flew into Titusville Airport, got out of the plane and sat outside the Outer Marker Restaurant with a sandwich and a glass of coke during launch time.

No wings and window frames to block the view and no fear of straying too close to the Notam activated restricted areas.

No - BRL - I'm not joking. Would be better seen from the ground.

<<edit: typo>>

Dannyboyblue
22nd Feb 2005, 07:34
Totally agree with keygrip,

Seen 3 launches, the best one was at night

was 25 miles away the earth was rumbling and it looked like someone had set fire to a thousand flares!!!

The sky lit up

cl12pv2s
3rd Mar 2005, 03:53
Also you have to factor in that if the weather conditions are not exactly right, then they will cancel the launch. Expensive joy ride!

The ground is fine...go to Cocoa beach or anywhere along the waterfront in Titusville.

The place is so flat you can get a good view from just about anywhere!

Also, there is a possibility that the airspace is restricted by TFR. Not sure about the rockets but definitely were in place for the Shuttle launches.

cl12pv2s

strake
3rd Mar 2005, 08:30
I don't know what time the launch you are refering to is but we were in Fla in January and went to the Space Centre to watch the launch of a rocket....I forget what it was called now but it's going to thump into a comet sometime in July..

It was a great experience. They have a public launch control centre manned (or womanned in our case) by a NASA clever person who tells you about everything that is going on. Then, 5 mins before launch, they take you out and you watch everything from about 3 or 4 miles away which is close enough. Only cost was entry to the centre.

Of course, that does not answer your question about flying during the launch but there are loads of FBO's around who should be able to help answer that.