PDA

View Full Version : soloflight @ humberside

fly us to the moon
21st Feb 2005, 09:05
I hear on the vine that Soloflight have lost their groundschool Instructor.Is this just another duff rumour or factual?.If they have, any ideas why? Where has she gone?
The lady in question is a consumate professional with many years in the aviation business.I can vouch for her very effective teaching style and commitment to her students as I have used her services in times past.
Anyone have any definitive answers.

Fly us to the moon.

What a Greaser!
4th Mar 2005, 22:49
Moon,

Linda has set up her own Groundschool at Gamston doing the same FAA I/R, ATP courses as well as the CAA PPL and IMC subjects.

You are right, she is a super teacher with a really nice style to get the info accross and I think all of us who have been taught by her would wish her well in her new venture. She's a great loss to Soloflight and was a great asset to the operation.

I had to do my FAA stuff for a corporate job a while ago and self studied my ATP, failed it, sat it again and passed. So for my Instrument Rating I did 3 days with Linda and got a 98% pass! I just wish I'd done the ATP with her - it would have saved me a lot of bother.

Linda's e-mail is [email protected] if you need to contact her. (She also still runs the ops at Gamston occasionally)

El Quiso Grande
5th Mar 2005, 21:36
Yep you heard right!!

Linda has indeed moved to Gamston following a disagreement with the 'Swamp Donkey' and as far as I can gather, it was he best move she has ever made.

IMHO Linda was the only reason to go to Soloflight; after all their flight safety record isn't exactly the best. (I believe the report on their last fatal incident is out on Monday!)

I paid a visit to soloflight earlier last year and couldn't believe the way the studes are spoken to, the attitude of the owner leaves a lot to be desired. She seems to forget that without the studes, she would not be in business! Correct me if I am wrong but they are her customers aren't they? Flying is expensive there but to pay through the nose and then be treated like something stuck to the bottom of her shoes...

Soloflight is a little like Fawlty Towers but with two subtle differences: 1. its based at a flying school and 2. its not fictional either!

I have friends who have learned to fly there and from what they have told me and conversations overheard at other flying schools about the place, they definately confirm my initial observations.

Glad I went to the states to do my flying training!!

(pm me if you want Linda's number, bumped into her a few weeks ago just after she moved to EGNE)

Justin Abeaver
6th Mar 2005, 09:39
El Quiso Grande,

Lets not get name-calling! But......

It seems lots of people fall out with Mel. Now, let me see, what is the common factor here? Ah, yes! Begins with M and ends in L......

A lot of what you say is true. I did my groundschool with Linda - excellent. I'm pleased to hear she is now at Gamston.

Pip Pip! :ok:

El Quiso Grande
6th Mar 2005, 12:34
Justin Abeaver old bean...

Forgive me but I wasn't name calling just repeating what I overheard a group of Soloflight students calling the owner.

I was at Humberside in the foodhall waiting for my flight to Portugal to be called last october and whilst enjoying a coffee, overheard this group, of I guess, 'members' of the school/club, who were sitting on an adjacent table.

I can say, from what I heard, they were not happy at all with the way they were being treated and messed about. (the impression I gained on my visit earlier in the year).

I must admit, Swamp Donkey was a new name on me and well, IMHO, quite apt from what I saw last apr/may.

TTFN..

Justin Abeaver
6th Mar 2005, 18:39
:ok: No Worries!:ok: No Worries!

bcfc
6th Mar 2005, 19:24
It was only 12 months since this and other forums were extolling the virtues and qualities of the late Glen Stewart and Soloflight.

Tribute to Glen (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=122531&perpage=15&highlight=soloflight&pagenumber=2)

Swamp Donkey? I'm sure you're a delightful oil painting yourself.

Chilli Monster
6th Mar 2005, 20:03
I must admit, Swamp Donkey was a new name on me and well, IMHO, quite apt from what I saw last apr/may.

Ummm - and you're going to be so perfect shortly after losing your husband/wife/partner are you?

El Quiso Grande
6th Mar 2005, 20:27
Wasn't he the guy that was banned from certain airfields in the locality for his dangerous flying practices?? Aeros in non aero twin a/c at less than a safe height?? Didn't rule 5 apply to him??

Wasn't he the man involved in that fatal incident on the runway at Humberside only a matter of months before his own demise in another flying incident that claimed another two souls??

Right... that Glen Stewart!! What qualities and virtues eh??

Never met him, never knew him, heard loads about him, BUT, thank god never I flew with him!!

Shame the other two souls aren't here to respond in person... I wonder what they would have added to the above??

If you knew him, you know the above is correct!!

Chilli old bean, so intent on insults you forgot your grammar.

"Ummm - and youre going to be so perfect shortly losing your husband/wife/partner are you?"

Think you have missed a word or two out old chap!!

And actually I am rather well endowed, thanks for asking.

:ok: :ok:

Justin Abeaver
6th Mar 2005, 22:29
EQG,

"Never met him, never knew him," you say. Well button it then.

This thread is about Linda and what a loss she is to Soloflight, not a slagging off of all concerned.

Glen Stewart, for your info, was a fine instructor who gave his love of flying to many dozens of potential pilots, As you "Never met him, never knew him" you cannot comment.

Pip Pip! :ok:

What a Greaser!
6th Mar 2005, 22:43
Well said Justin. I think that's enough "having a go". If this is the atmosphere I'm not surprised Linda threw in the towel! We are all in this flying game because we enjoy it, enjoy the people we mix with, and if you don't, have the balls to vote with your feet, like she did.

Let's all just wish her well at Gamston.

hollywood285
7th Mar 2005, 12:06
Here Here, Linda was a fine teacher, got me though my ground school, and EQG have some respect for the dead, Glen was a fine gentleman, top instructor and if you did not know him please dont comment.

And the less said about the owner the better.

whizzjet
7th Mar 2005, 16:41
Holly,

Well said. That's it in a nutshell.

whizz

niknak
8th Mar 2005, 00:06
EQG,

If you tried for the rest your pitiful days, you'd never, ever measure up to Glen's skills and knowledge of the industry, the contribution he made to it, or be half the person he was.

Kindly take your purile comments elsewhere Sir.

Chris Dale
8th Mar 2005, 22:17
It is most likely that we have a very sad person here with a massive grudge against Soloflight and in particular the owner, for what ever reason.

Sololfight is one of the best flying schools and clubs in the north and is investing into making itself even better, it is strange that it's recent growth in membership and it's very successfull training is still being recognised by so many.

Who ever you are, you never knew what a great man Glen Stewart was and your coments are purile, insulting and and have a total lack of respect - clearly you are a very sad "little" person.

To all who read this chat room, I urge you to leave this person to his own devices and lets not waste any more time on these false insinuations and accusations.

Finally - I find it hard to believe or respect the comments from anyone who has to drop to these levels of rumour mongering to get their kicks or revenge - so any self respecting pilot should not pay any heed to these words.....and why don't you own up and put a proper name to yourself instead of hiding behind stupid call signs.

Chris Dale