PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance GPSMap 1000 - users?

tmmorris
20th Feb 2005, 13:17
Anyone out there using a Lowrance GPSMap 1000 in the UK? I'm very tempted to buy this instead of the Garmin 196 but would love to see one in the flesh...

If you've got one,

(a) how do you find it in use? what's the UK basemap like on the International version (which I gather is what's needed for the UK)?

(b) (bit of a cheek this, but...) are you based within an hour's flight of Benson, and if so, could we meet up for tea at your local airfield so I can fly in and take a look?

Tim

ChrisVJ
20th Feb 2005, 19:30
I'm not in the UK, but I do have one.

I'm not happy with the service. First the Canadian mapping was going to cost far more than they said, far more. n(($90 US PER AREA< 11 Areas for Canada!) Then when they started selling them with the Canadian mapping I called to see if I could get a swap, they said "maybe" but they wanted $50US for "Border fees" I buy stuff from the US all the time and single sets of software almost never get charged and anyway I would be the one paying it! Today Bought straight the Canadian mapping is still going to cost $ 149 US, I think, more for Topo,

They promised to get back to me but they never did. E mails to them are not returned and a couple of phone calls have been 'lost in space"

I liked the big display but I find the interface a bit confusing. (It does show large lakes, coast and airports) Maybe I don't use it enough, but that's the point, isn't it?