PDA

View Full Version : When are HISL required?

Rupert S
19th Feb 2005, 20:58
Just a quick question,
Does a red rotation beacon on the tail or a white nav light replace the need for HISL on the wing tips when ever they're required?

High Wing Drifter
19th Feb 2005, 22:29
Yes, sort of. You must have an anti-collision beacon during the day and night. Such a beacon can be either a red or white flashing light and is usually switched on before engine start.

The steady white nav light is requirement at night along with the green and red wing-tip nav lights.

Skylark4
19th Feb 2005, 23:30
Drifter,
I don't think so. Nothing is required for daytime and red or white rotating or flashing lights are optional at any time. Red, green and white lights in the appropriate places are required during"night" operations.
Someone better qualified please correct me if I'm wrong.

Mike W

If you've got them by the way, use them but do not operate white High Intensity lamps until you are on the runway and about to take off.

M

High Wing Drifter
20th Feb 2005, 08:50
Ah yes. But if the aircraft is fitted with such a light it must be used though, even by day.

UV
20th Feb 2005, 11:03
None of the above! Red rotating beacons (anti-collision lights) are ONLY madatory on aircraft over 5700 Kgs (I recall) and must be used at all times on such aircraft!
UV

High Wing Drifter
20th Feb 2005, 12:09
Rule 9 doesn't specify a weight. Is there a caveat to counter it?

Note to self: Too much prooning of late. Must actually do some flying!

ShyTorque
20th Feb 2005, 12:46
"Red rotating beacons (anti-collision lights) are ONLY madatory on aircraft over 5700 Kgs (I recall) and must be used at all times on such aircraft!"

Or on a helicopter..

boomerangben
20th Feb 2005, 12:56
In the interests of self preservation I would leave all the lights on all the time when airbourne (except in IMC at night where strobes can be distracting). We fly with the landing lights on all the time as well because it reduces the risk of a bird / Tornado strike.