PDA

View Full Version : When were you ready to solo?

forsakened
19th Feb 2005, 17:12
Im 16 years old and turn 17 this may and have been working on my PPL, i just had a flight today that puts me at 10.1 hours and 30 landings, and we reviewed everything we had covered previously(stalls, steep turns, ground ref, etc etc), and I have a flight this tuesday. He said we will just fly traffic pattern and if my landings look good I can solo saturday(a week from today).

So im just curious, how many hours did you have before your first solo?

AerBabe
19th Feb 2005, 17:14
Well done. Try not to get too worked up about it though...

If you use the 'Search' function at the bottom of the page, you'll find masses of threads about time taken to first solos. :ok: Good luck & remember your camera for after.

Charlie Zulu
19th Feb 2005, 18:10
This is one little difference that I find between learning to fly the JAA way instead of the FAA method when it comes to "first solo's".

Most FAA students are told in advance (say a week or so) that they will solo the next week if they do everything correctly.

Over here in the UK the "first solo" is normally sprung upon one as in the first time you know its going to happen is when the instructor calls ATC and says, "G-XX I'd like to book a student out on a first solo", then looks at the student and says, "Ready?" or "You'll be okay".

Probably something to do with the different rules as instructors in the FAA land have to sign and endorse logbooks, student pilots certificates whereas there isn't a requirement for the same here in JAA land.

Er anyway why did I write the above? I don't know!!!!

Anyway I took 16 hours if I remember correctly and was 20 yrs of age. Solo'd on the 28th March 1998 and can still remember it just as if it was yesterday.

Good luck with your first solo...

shortstripper
19th Feb 2005, 19:11
It was always when ready! From lots I have read, these days it seems that first solo is often held off until a lot more of the syllabus has been covered.

I started in 1986 with 3hrs 12 minutes to solo in gliders, then once Bronze C, converted to power at the Cambridge Flying Group in their Tigermoths ... first solo = just under 9 hrs. Two years later ... yes TWO years! later :ugh: I qualified with 35 hours and 10 mins.

SS

High_Expect
19th Feb 2005, 20:52
3 1/2hrs on a C152 at Southend. . . . . .

little bit diffrent now in the Military as you have to follow the syllabus no matter how good your progress.
Something like 8hrs before Turboprop solo and 5hrs ish before first Jet solo.

EasySqueezy
19th Feb 2005, 21:13
High_Expect, you must be very 'special' to have gone 'solo' so quick!

LondonJ
19th Feb 2005, 22:13
I think from scanning around that the average is 12 - 15 hours, with younger people taking fewer hours. I'll never forget my first solo; get a call that morning from my instructor saying that he reckons I should do it that afternoon, well suffice to say I was slightly closed off to the world for the next 5 hours. Get to the airfield and do my 2 circuit check flight, instructor jumps out and off I go. The most vivid memory was just at the rotation point when I look right and no instructor, look forward and the end of the runway is looming and it hits me that this is it I am committed to go. 4 mins or so later and I touch down and I had a smile on my face for about a week.:D I was 16 then and a few years on it is still funny when I tell people that I have a license that they ask 'so have you flown on your own?':rolleyes:

High Wing Drifter
19th Feb 2005, 22:24
3.5 hrs! Blinking Nora!! How is it even possible to demonstrate general handling, PFLs, EFATO and circuits in that time never mind taxi and transit and demonstrate you know it?

:uhoh:

andyb79
20th Feb 2005, 00:50
Those few minutes have to be the most bizzare of my life. The rapid change from sheer elation to to sheer terror and back again cannot be explained to anyone, except another pilot. the picture still has pride of place on my wall and it is something i will never forget

Whirlybird
20th Feb 2005, 09:47
At the other end of the scale....

48 hours (fixed wing; rotary was lots less), and at least a couple of instructors thought I'd never make it (I don't think trying to teach me was why they left, but not sure!). :( I was determined that I would, if I didn't run out of money first. Lots of reasons why, long story, posted way, way back on PPRuNe. Didn't tell anyone for ages, thinking I must hold the record for number of hours to first solo, number of hours spent learning to land, number of hours in the circuit, etc etc etc etc. Seems, though, I don't have any world records actually. :{ There is a huge difference in how long it takes, depending on all sorts of factors.

And when I flew into Welshpool last week with another pilot, and he commented on how difficult it was to land on the narrow runway between the hills with almost constant turbulence on final and a main road on the undershoot, I said a trifle smugly: "Oh well, I learned to fly here".......and he was ever so impressed. :)

Arrestahook
20th Feb 2005, 12:06
At the other end of the sky god spectrum a colleague of mine once sent a guy first solo after 86 hours of circuits. I don't think he ever flew again after that. Anyone beat that?

tmmorris
20th Feb 2005, 13:13
Depends a lot if your instructor is nervous and worries that the airfield might close while you're on your first solo - and if so, whether there is somewhere else to land close by (e.g. Sleap: Shawbury's about 5nm) or not (e.g. Welshpool: nearest is Sleap about 20nm). I.e. if you have to divert, do you need navigation skills?

Tim

Whirlygig
20th Feb 2005, 17:24
I was around 40 hours (rotary only); my instructor's attitude was that I should be able to do an engine-off landing before being let loose on my own. My first solo was a complete circuit of an international airport; I have heard some helicopter students first solo being lift, hover, put down which to me, is hardly the same thing.

Whilst up there, on my downwind leg, it occurred to me that I was the Captain of this aircraft. My instructor was down there. He DID say if I wasn't happy with my approach, I should go-around. I thought....

This is fun. I'm up here. He's down there. Shall I go-around?

No, he'll kill me!

But I'm in command. He can't argue if I say I wasn't happy.

No, he'll kill me.

{base leg}

There's nothing he can do. OK, so I get a bo££ocking from him; what's new? Do it, do it, do it, do it.....

XXXX Tower, Helicopter ZZZZZ, final for grass training area.

Chicken!

Forsakened - don't go unless you are happy tooo and it is not a competition to see who can go solo in the quickest time. Especially as it seems there are different definitions of solo?

It only took me another 20 hours after first solo to get my licence so in the end the number of hours at which you do it becomes irrelevant.

But relax and enjoy it and if you have the nerve to do a go-around like I didn't, I'll buy you a beer!

Cheers

Whirlygig

Whirlybird
20th Feb 2005, 20:41
Whirlygig,

That reminds me of my five solo night circuits for my CPL(H). Gorgeous night; warm, clear, little wind, could see for miles. I was flying at Gloucester, and could see way up to the Midlands. Four circuits, then on the last one I'm thinking, "I don't want to land; I want to carry on. It's only supposed to be five circuits, but what's a circuit? I could fly a great wide ciircuit so that the downwind leg is...at Worcester maybe. What would happen if I did?"

But, like you, I chickened out. :{

Arrestahook
21st Feb 2005, 09:35
Another legendary one, a certain forebare of mine sent first solo circuit in a Pitts S2 disappears off from the field only to return an age later. Instructor going out of his mind trying to recall him from the tower to no avail. On return ' Well it was a nice day I thought I'd go and practice some aeros'.....radio was turned down too.

Sgt.Peppeh
21st Feb 2005, 14:46
Whirly Bird- Me thinks I hold the record: Not because my instructor wasn`t competent,just the fact that I treated my training flights,as flights of pleasure,and was always happy to re-revise the previous lesson( I wanted to be the perfect pilot )until he could take it no more and sent me off(came as a surprise). We landed after one circuit,he jumped off,I thought I had done something to upset him,till I realise he was smiling and telling me "just do exactly what you`ve just done and you`ll be alright `I was in a trance for the next 5 minuites or so,and when I landed I burst into tears and kissed mother earth. For someone scared of flying,it was an acomlishment.

Andyb 79: Your article made realise I am no freak. My photo taken by my CFI after holds pride of place everywhere in my little home, as for the smile,I am still smilling since 2003 & whenever this topic comes to mind.

P/s: going solo is like losing your virginity, even more dramatic,I`ve never heard of anyone injuring themselves or others when losing it, s`why it`s so important.
:mad:

slim_slag
21st Feb 2005, 15:13
foresakened,

Sounds like you will solo far quicker than the vast majority of students, so well done, and don't let any grumpy old git who would need 30 hours take it away from you.

So now this grumpy old git says you will soon realise it doesn't matter ;) And while I'm at it, anybody who can solo in 3.1 hours has unlogged time and there is no two ways about it!

Whirlybird
21st Feb 2005, 15:32
going solo is like losing your virginity,

Good analogy. For some people it's great; others wonder what all the fuss is about, but then find it just gets better and better with practice. :ok: ;)

Hmm...maybe I'd better not carry on too much with this comparison or I'll get this thread moved to Jet Blast. :)

Whirlygig
21st Feb 2005, 21:34
But where in this analogy would you compare the dual instruction aspect beforehand?

Sorry.

Cheers

Whirlygig

W'Bird - you're a bad influence on me sometimes ;)

Edited for postscript below

Forsaken, I would just like to say that one of the nicest things that happened after I landed, was the girl on XXXX ATC who said over the radio "XXXX Tower, everyone, Whirlygig's just done her first solo. Well done!" and then I heard "Whirlygig, this KLM123, congrations!" and then "This is ABC456, well done!". That was great and really made me feel like a new member of a club I always wanted to join.

Circuit Basher
22nd Feb 2005, 09:13
All this talk of the Whirly girls losing virginity ....... no, this thread's not ready for Jet Blast yet. ;)

I've actually had 3 first solos:

Age 16 in a glider
Age 38 in a C172 in Canada
Age 39 in a PA28 in UK!

Still think the Canadian one was best - more memorable for me.

Oh, and on the UK one I DID go around 'coz my approach was rubbish and speed control was all over the shop. Apologised to instructor afterwards and he reckoned that it was a good decision!

PS No mention of a Private Flying outing to the Flyer exhibition so far - is this 'coz of last years bar bill for the PPRuNers??!! ;)

I suspect I'll be grounded 'coz of junior CB this year! :(

MyData
22nd Feb 2005, 11:54
I started flying on May 2nd 2004. In all that time due to the appalling summer we had in the last year I've managed to accumulate 18.5hrs so far. And that is with having a lesson booked each and every available weekend.

As far as landings go I've so far done 19, flapped and flapless, and in strong crosswinds - I had to call a missed approach on one as the wind was so bad - my instructor reckons that I won't get much worse conditions than that day...

Done the theory and practice for EFATO and PFL. In the air we've covered as much as possible on the syllabus that can be done before we move onto navigation proper - including some instrument flying, steep level turns etc. etc.

So now I call up each weekend to get clearance to fly. The weather in Yorkshire UK has been too windy for the past month. We are waiting for a still day - then away we go.

This means that I should get airbourne on my own just shy of 20 hours. I've never seen it as a challenge to get up any sooner. I'm in no rush to get my PPL, much preferring to take my time and become a more rounded pilot.

All ground examinations are now complete except for nav. The medical certificate is issued... just waiting for a still day...

Whirlygig
22nd Feb 2005, 17:37
Quick hijack,

CircuitBasher - of course! The Flyer exhibition. I'm sure I'll be there to start racking up that bar bill! Perhaps we need to put something on PPrune Bash?

Cheers

Whirlygig

forsakened
23rd Feb 2005, 02:52
Im really excited now, today we went up and stayed in the pattern and i did 10 landings and flew for 1.1, my instructor said im ready to solo now, i just have to get the darn medical(made appt. long time ago its just backed up), so looks like im gonna have to wait 2 more weeks until march 9th when i get my medical :-(

flying snapper
23rd Feb 2005, 12:23
I still remember my first solo like it was yesterday. The circuits I flew were awful, dreadful landings (2) due to apalling speed control. But I felt so elated afterwards, just like losing your whatsit! I didn't stop grinning for a fortnight!

I will never forget it, so sit back and enjoy it!

TwoDeadDogs
23rd Feb 2005, 14:20
Nice topic.
I had 5 and a half hours on Rallyes before doing six more on 150/152s on a PPL course, so 11 and a half. It was brilliant!!! I remember it as clear as day and have yet to surpass the sheer delight i felt at being on my own....Some instructors/schools do take the piss. Anyone who is taking 30 or 40 hours to solo needs to either quit or shake his instructor/CFI by the scruff.
regards
TDD

solouk
24th Feb 2005, 13:36
I'm just waiting for some decent weather to do my first solo in a R22 after about 20 hours.

I'm not sure what feeling is worse, the anticipation (I can't wait to do this!) or the frustration (the bloody UK weather!)

I know exactly how I'm going to feel when I've done it - I'll be cartwheeling through the office at work with a grin that'll last a week!

Solouk

MLS-12D
24th Feb 2005, 15:58
how many hours did you have before your first solo?Who cares? :confused:

What's next? A poll on pilots' net worth, or the size of their genitals? :rolleyes:

Frankly I see no point to asking how long it took someone to solo. This just promotes an unnecessary sense of competition, and doubtless will make some people feel inadequate. What is good about that? :ugh:

I put forward the following two propositions for consideration:

(1) as numerous famous examples demonstrate, the amount of time it takes a person to solo is no accurate reflection of their eventual competence as a pilot;

(2) similarly, the number of hours logged post-solo is not a completely reliable testimony to one's competence as a pilot.

Hueymeister
24th Feb 2005, 18:48
16 (15 really..lied about my age) in an ATC Venture glider
17 in a C152 Flying Scholarship
19 Jet Provost TMk5a....wonderful
19 Gazelle
21 Chippie
30 Grob/As335 Squirell

Whirlygig
24th Feb 2005, 20:18
Ooh MLS-12D, you're an old sour-puss aren't you?

I doubt whether you've actually read ALL the posts; if you did you would have found that the answers ranged from 3-odd hours to 50-odd hours. There have been some great anecdotes, words of encouragement and words of caution. I think the "competition" aspect has already been pointed out. Feelings of inadequecy? I don't feel at all inadequate as a pilot and I was one of the higher hours here. Anyway, wouldn't these feelings of inadeqacy happen even more if the boys starting talking about the size of their genitalia? Not really a girl topic; we'll continue with the losing virginity analogy.

Who cares? Some of us do. And for whatever reason, it seems to bother you enough to make a snide reply.

Cheers

Whirlygig

Whirlybird
24th Feb 2005, 20:46
MLS-12D,

No, hours to solo don't matter, and total hours don't say much about a pilot's competence. But you're never going to stop people thinking it's important. And those who are competitive or feel inadequate will do so anyway, since the whole aviation industry is obsessed with hours. What does a flying school want to know before you hire an aircraft? Total hours, PIC hours, hours on type, hours in the last month. What do the powers that be want to know if you have an accident? Total hours, hours in the last 90 days, hours in the last 28 days, hours on type. What do I fill in on a cv for a flying job? Total hours, PIC hours, rotary hours, hours on each type, instructional hours, night hours, instrument hours, cross country hours....and probably a few more I haven't thought of.

So now when I see a thread like this yet again, I yawn. And let people get on with it since they seem to enjoy it...and even.......join in. :)

Why not? It's really not important, so why make a big deal out of it?

PPRuNeUser0172
24th Feb 2005, 21:03
Obviously MLS-XXX needed a few more circuit lessons before he was allowed to go off on his own, or is this unnecessary banter and competitiveness???? Wind your neck in old bean, although it seems to have touched a nerve.

Never flash at a hot spoon old chap, for fear of looking like an ass...............:E ;)

squibbler
25th Feb 2005, 10:02
Did 15 hrs flying training as part of NATS ATCO course at EGHH.

Went solo after 11 hours.

Interesting first solo; off 26 at Hurn, C152, climbs a LOT quicker when you're on your own! Called downwind right, told number 3 & to orbit at the end of the downwind leg. Completed 1 orbit and instructed to report final no. 2 to an Aztec on left base. Try as I might can't see the Aztec, tell ATC. Told he's much wider than anticipated - I'm now number 1. Turn onto final, wind 220/17kts, set it up nicely. Catch a nice gust at about 300 feet, wingover slightly, correct it - put it down on the centreline, PHEW!!

Quite enjoyed it. Instructor said I was a natural and should go for my PPL (well he would say that wouldn't he ;) ), but £3500 for the rest of the course and the subsequent cost of GA flying put me off - I didn't enjoy it that much!!

Still, I can say that I did it - one to tell the kids / grandkids etc.

Good Luck :ok:

MLS-12D
25th Feb 2005, 15:10
Obviously MLS-XXX needed a few more circuit lessons before he was allowed to go off on his own, or is this unnecessary banter and competitiveness???? Wind your neck in old bean, although it seems to have touched a nerve.Not having my logbook handy, I can't tell you how exactly long it took me to solo. I can confirm that I am no more than a mediocre pilot, on a good day. I'm not particularly sensitive about that.

Who cares? Some of us do. And for whatever reason, it seems to bother you enough to make a snide reply.Mean-spiritedness always bothers me. Anything that unnecessarily encourages competiveness is inevitably bound to make some people feel bad, and may discourage them from continuing flying (which, given the tremendous wastage rate in recreational aviation, is something that we can ill afford). I am sorry that you cannot see that.

Whirlygig
25th Feb 2005, 16:57
Who cares? :confused:
What's next? A poll on pilots' net worth, or the size of their genitals?
That is the only mean-spirited comment I have seen on this thread.

I am sorry that you cannot see that.
I can more than see that. When I say I care, I meant caring about responding to a thread from a student who sounded as if they wanted some encouragement and to be told that hours to solo do not essentially matter. I think that has been done by myself and others quite well.

I more than appreciate your comments about competitiveness and this point has already been made.

If somebody asks a question and I can answer it without repeating too much what others have said, then I will. As have others. There's no need to have a pop. You can give your views without resorting to "unpleasantness".

Cheers

Whirlygig

MLS-12D
25th Feb 2005, 17:09
It would appear that you and I are on completely different wavelengths, so I don't see much point in prolonging this discussion. But suffice it to say that name calling ("old sour puss") and ad hominem attacks ("Obviously MLS-XXX needed a few more circuit lessons before he was allowed to go off on his own") seem to me to be much more unpleasant than anything I have said on this thread.

Whirlygig
26th Feb 2005, 10:31
MLS-12D, the thing is, is that we agree on the competitive aspect of this discussion; we obviously have different ways of expressing ourselves. I apologize if you felt I called you names; it wasn't meant in a nasty way at all - more of a joke which fell flat.

Cheers

Whirlygig

MyData
27th Feb 2005, 16:08
Did my first solo TODAY. Bit of a surprise considering the wx this morning. 20hrs 10mins on the clock. 26 landings if my recollections are correct.

Still buzzin some 5 hours later!

hingey
27th Feb 2005, 20:12
Mine was a 16th birthday to remember! 20 hours beforehand, LOTS of build- up :uhoh: (local press, TV and radio all coming to credit me as one of the country's youngest solo pilots- even got a little piccie in Pilot magazine last September).

Early one beautiful summers morning last year, I sat alone at the holding point, with only the legal minimum age, limited confidence and grumpy commercial traffic behind me, I completed some very thorough power checks and sat still for about 30 seconds in anticipation of what I was about to do.

Finally, "XXXX, echo 1, ready for departure". I remember every second of those wonderful 4 minutes! Had a heck of a party that evening too!

On a slightly less relevant note, I remember my (ex) girlfriend's friend boasting about how her 'older' boyfriend could drive, with my ex jumping in with "So what? My boyfriend can fly." Ah, happy days.

10 months later, my 17th birthday and a skills test loom ahead. But of all the wierd and wonderful things I've done in my life, solo flying is my most treasured memory. Never get tired of it, even if it is solo rejoins with 700ft cloudbase, 6k vis and 12kt wind at 90 degrees to the runway!

Happy landings! :ok:

High Wing Drifter
27th Feb 2005, 21:00
Congrats MyData :ok: