PDA

View Full Version : What is your method for landing on the bump at EGCC 24R?

JackOffallTrades
18th Feb 2005, 20:59
I like to try and flatten the bump. But the bump keeps winning.

Do you pretend the bump doesn`t exist?

or,

Try to land beyond it?

or,

land before it?

or,

Like me, try and hit the damn thing ever time??

:O

hapzim
19th Feb 2005, 08:16
What bump ??? my eyes are always closed for landing. Do notice the rough ride on MAN taxiways though.:ouch:

145qrh
19th Feb 2005, 13:33
I've been trying to flatten it for a few years now....don't think it's an better.

06R, was the 3rd or 4th to land on it on the day it opened---man that was smooooth

Bumz_Rush
19th Feb 2005, 13:44
Close the eyes...and hope....and wait.....always works for me...

High Wing Drifter
19th Feb 2005, 14:26
There's hope for me yet :O

WindSheer
19th Feb 2005, 17:57
Just keep slamming away and it will flatten - BELIEVE ME.

Dont burn your arse on the light bulb though :ok:

Quidnunc
19th Feb 2005, 18:27
Could always try landing in the right place at the right speed.

Dan Winterland
19th Feb 2005, 22:10
At night - no chance! The bump gets you :{

Max Angle
21st Feb 2005, 17:43
Touchdown just before works for me but I've had a few good goes at levelling it out as well.

the_flying_cop
22nd Feb 2005, 09:20
we try and land on the top of the bump, otherwise the islander cant get over it without adding more power !!!!

BN2A
22nd Feb 2005, 14:40
You should try a piston engine Islander instead....
That'll solve the problem for you!!!

:ok:

411A
22nd Feb 2005, 21:48
The so-called 'hump' on runway 24R at MAN seems to have more than a few in a tizzy.

LAND the friggin' aeroplane, and ignore the surface irregularities, fer chris sakes.

It ain't rocket science.:\

arugbarbarroja
22nd Feb 2005, 22:13
Always let the first officer land !!! If he or she hits the bump, at least you can laugh and if it's a kiss, learn from it:ok:

chiglet
22nd Feb 2005, 22:16
411A
Have you ever tried to land at Manch? Thought so:rolleyes:
Looking out of the [Tower] window in various wind/wx conditions, I can tell you "It ain't Chuffin' easy"....and I've been watching and wartching.....for 30 years :ok:
I've seen quite a few "greasers"......about 1%.....95% "great" .. and the rest, well perhaps
you were PIC :E
watp,iktch

woodpecker
22nd Feb 2005, 22:21
The Trident, plus reverse in the air, would not fly past the bump.
The 757 and 767 with luck just on top, but if you have not touched down by then...... just a low fly past followed by an arrival!

fireflybob
22nd Feb 2005, 22:38
Just do an autoland - you can blame it on the automatics then!

411A
23rd Feb 2005, 06:26
....which the TriStar did just fine, thank you very much.

Nothing but the best....Lockheed does it right.:E

Oh yeah...for Chiglet.

Is about two hundred manual landings (on 24R) enough for you?
TriStar equipment...of course.

Nothing but the best for yours truly...to be sure.:\

RoyHudd
23rd Feb 2005, 07:08
Allow me to demonstrate...Late'ish flare. and let the slope come up to you, remembering to look well towards the end of the runway. Guaranteed and foolproof method.....always works for me.....BANG!.....well usually.

Global Pilot
23rd Feb 2005, 14:21
I can't believe after all these years that nobody knows the real reason for the bump at Man! It is controlled by the tower. If you are nice to him/her on finals he/she hits the "bump deflate" button, you get a greaser and if your not he/she hits the inflate button. Guess we are all guilty of being pretty nasty with our calls on short finals.

Source: A rather attractive girl who said she worked at MAN tower but I must admit to the story being told very late at night and yes there was plenty of alcohol involved. Still she was so god damn hot I would have believed anything she whispered in my ear.

Pilot Pete
23rd Feb 2005, 15:13
Quidnunc and 411A do make valid points, even if some of us seem to want to have a foolproof method of always greasing it on.

Right flare, right speed, in the right place is what you should aim for on EVERY runway. It all comes down to aircraft type, so any 'pearls' of wisdom given generally on here could prove incorrect for a particular type.

Sure I've 'bumped' it on in the 75/76 a few times (erhum!), but usually it is down to me not getting one of the three factors mentioned above correct. Then, a hump is less forgiving than a nice flat piece of tarmac.

So my advice would be to concentrate on perfecting the technique in your Flight Crew Training Manual and that taught by your training department. The bigwigs have done all the calculations so that if you use the correct technique and account for the prevailing conditions, the runway should be adequate.

PP

FLCH
24th Feb 2005, 15:23
Last time I flew into EGCC we were in a 767-400, the Capt. flared normally, the it was apparent we were going to miss the bump and we were going do some very low flying, he deftly put the right main on the bump and she settled down nicely on the runway, with lots of room to spare. I have EGCC trips next month, I will try and flatten the hump for you and adjust my back at the same time...

CaptainSandL
4th Mar 2005, 15:59
Normal approach until you are over the runway, then allow the aircraft to sink just below the normal approach path. Flare at the normal height but with just a little more (1/2 degree) nose up than usual and then as RoyHudd says let the slope come up to you, remembering to look well towards the end of the runway.

Dan Winterland
5th Mar 2005, 13:43
Notwithstanding the usual bollaux from 411, beating the bump really depends on what you are flying. Landed a couple of nights ago in a 747 at MLW. If you try to grease it on you run the risk of flying past the hump and in a classic widebody with steel brakes at 285 tons when it's wet - that means overheating brakes. I flew it on and took the banter from the positioning crew!

Fly747
5th Mar 2005, 13:58
Banter Dan? Us?
No time for attempting greasers when the weather is like recently. 411A right for a change.