PDA

View Full Version : CAA Night rating in N Reg Plane

stuartforrest
18th Feb 2005, 20:48
I have an N Reg plane. Can I do you CAA night rating in this to add to my CAA PPL or do I need to do it i a G Reg plane as I have been advised.

Whopity
18th Feb 2005, 21:24
The answer is on the Instructors forum:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=163985

stuartforrest
18th Feb 2005, 23:12
Thanks for your reply but it was that thread that set me thinking. I dont think it does answer my question.

It doesnt mention about doing a CAA certificate on an N Reg plane.

Also what has the DOT got to do with pilot training. I have never heard this one before. Can someone explain.

IO540
19th Feb 2005, 07:11
The statement which has been posted on training requirements in N-reg planes is only partially true.

There are at least two issues: can one do a JAA night qualification in a non-G-reg plane, and can one legally get ANY training in an N-reg plane in UK airspace.

The first I don't know, but I can't see why not.

The second: if you don't pay the instructor, then Yes. If you do pay him, then you need to be the owner of the (N-reg) plane (I don't know the current requirements re min % ownership), you have to get the DfT permission (they issue these on behalf of the CAA) and the instructor himself needs to have a JAA instructor rating in order to be himself legal to accept the money.

Cathar
19th Feb 2005, 11:14
Stuart

To expand a little on IO540's answer, flying training is considered to be aerial work if valuable consideration is given or promised in respect of the flight or the purpose of the flight (article 130 of the Air Navigation Order). To undertake aerial work in a foreign registered aircraft in the UK the permission of the Secretary of State for Transport is needed (article 115 of the ANO).

Contrary to IO540's understanding, the permits are a DfT responsibility have nothing whatsoever to do with the CAA, although DfT may seek advice on safety issues in respect of applications for permits.

My understanding is the DfT will for the time being issue permits for flying training by the owner or the trustor (if an individual) of a N registered aircraft and are considering the issue of group/company trustors. However, a recent prosecution brought by the CAA appears to have triggered a review by DfT of legislation/policy which allows UK citizens to base foreign registered in the UK.

stuartforrest
19th Feb 2005, 16:06
Sorry which prosecution. Do you have more details. That sounds like they are prosecuting people for having N reg planes???

My plane is owned by a company which is 100% owned by me. Would this be allowed then?

Cathar
19th Feb 2005, 18:27
The prosecution has been mentioned in the current editions of "General Aviation" and "Pilot" magazines. It was in respect of flying training being given in a N registered helicopter in breach of article 115 of the ANO.

When I spoke to the DfT they were still scratching their heads on company trustors. Their policy had been to allow permits owners to be trained on their aircraft and were prepared to extend this to individual trustors but were considering where to draw the line after that. I understand that it is their intention to put further advice on their web site as soon as they can.

This issue has caused them to bring forward a planned review of the legislation on foreign registered aircraft. I understand that their intention in the long run is to stop foreign aircraft from being based in the UK.