PDA

View Full Version : Handling the Big Jets

Limpeh
18th Feb 2005, 18:48
Hi all,

I will be moving on from a light twin to a small jet and eventually to a big jet and was wondering if the book "Handling The Big Jets" by DP Davis would be useful for the transition.

I am hoping to read up more stuff before my line training, and would appreciate if any of you guys could recommend any books or publications. Thanks in advance.

Engineer
18th Feb 2005, 19:43
Book has been covered quite often on the various forums.

Suggest you use the forum search engine.

But for starters you could start here (http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=121320&highlight=handling+the+big+jets)

flyblue
19th Feb 2005, 12:20
here on www.abebooks.co.uk (http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?imagefield.x=0&cm_re=A*Search+Box*Form&tn=flying+the+big+jets&sortby=3&imagefield.y=0)

Vee One...Rotate
19th Feb 2005, 12:25
Amazon and Transair sell the book as well.

Very readable and comprehensive.

V1R

catchup
19th Feb 2005, 12:35
For my opinion, it's a MUST.

regards

the_bug
19th Feb 2005, 15:38
Sure, an excellent book, but maybe a bit ambitious very early on. Yuo might find it a little more beneficial with a type under your belt. If you find yourself a little overwhelmed at first, there's other lighter reads. May I suggest "The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual" by Brown and Holt, and "Transport Category Aircraft Systems" by Thomas Wild, a Jeppesen Publication.
I do agree with the previous posts... "Handling the Big Jets" is a must.

411A
22nd Feb 2005, 07:50
By all means, get the book and read (and re-read) from cover to cover.

The first publication was in 1967, which is just when I read it for the first time.

I wondered...could the very early jet transports be as difficult to fly (accurately) as Davies indicated?

Well, I found out first hand just a couple of years later that...yes, they could.:\

IMHO, the very best book on the subject of swept-wing jet transport flying.

Davies got it right...absolutely.

Av8trxx
22nd Feb 2005, 08:15
Since you are only transitioning from light a/c to a small jet at present, I do agree "Big Jets" may be a bit ambitious at this stage in your career. What you really need is some reading applicable to the transition you are about to make.
The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual by Greg Brown (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0813800234/102-1610148-1045741) is a MUST!
It it written for pilots in your position making that transition.

From the reviews: This book is the consumate soup of all of the most important things you need to know before you go into ground school at a regional or major airline. It was written by airline pilots who still remember how overwhelmed they were when they sat through their first aircraft systems ground school at their respective airlines. I consider it mandatory reading before you consider setting foot in a flight simulator or airline ground school."

-by MD-80 pilot and webmaster of the very popular US airline careers site Jetcareers.com (http://www.jetcareers.com)

beamer
23rd Feb 2005, 16:00
Interesting stuff but rather outdated unless there is a recent update of which I am not aware. I did find the organisation of the book somewhat haphazard - some important areas almost disregarded and other 'trivial' aspects examined in depth perhaps reflecting the specific interests of the author. Many modern developments not covered though the title does talk about 'handling' not operating and most aspects of pure handling do not change - Airbus notwithstanding and the Airbus family perhaps need their own version of the book.

HonestoGod
24th Feb 2005, 12:59
I could not recommendDavies book enough, even for those flying turboprops. Greg Browns also highly recommended.

Limpeh
24th Feb 2005, 14:09
Thanks everyone for your replies. Am very encouraged by your responses, and have just bought the book.

Thanks again and happpy flying to all!

meatball
2nd Mar 2005, 15:56
Mr Davies book Handling the Big Jets is very difficult to find. I have searched everywhere ( almost ) all I am told is that it is no longer in publication and that I do find hard to believe.
Is there anyone out there that can lead me to a copy ?:ok:

oops...did find some rare copies for sale...very expensive. Anyone have any ideas ?

sorry to hear the gentleman passed away too

Limpeh
3rd Mar 2005, 13:25
I found my copy in a technical bookshop in Perth. The address is as follows:

RELLIM BOOKSELLERS
834 Hay Street, Perth
Tel: +61 9321 5684
Email: [email protected]

There are at least 3 other copies available when I purchased mine. Hope this helps.