PDA

View Full Version : Glenrothes

FullyFlapped
18th Feb 2005, 15:14
The only out-sized "sun" symbol to be seen on yesterday morning's weather map on the BBC was roughly over Edinburgh : so having the day to myself for once, I ploughed off through the clag from Yorkshire in a haggis-seeking frame of mind, and duly landed at Glenrothes. It's the second time I've been, but the first time was too rushed and stressed to appreciate it properly.

What a smashing little field that is. Friendly, helpful folks, cracking grub at the Tipsy Nipper and a lovely warm sunny day to boot. They even give you a voucher so you can offset your landing fee against anything bought in the restaurant - can't be bad.

Highly recommended if you're in the vicinity !

FF :ok:

Pilgrim101
19th Feb 2005, 08:03
Are you the new General Manager ? ;)

Couldn't agree more though and the Country up North of there is very flyworthy !!! Beautiful flights along the Fife Coast North shore of the Forth and then on up to the Highlands. Avoiding Kingsmuir paradropping and Leuchars of course. Great stopover too for flights up to Perth, Oban and beyond to the Islands - well worth the visit(s)

Floppy Link
19th Feb 2005, 09:41
Lovely scenery indeed....
A great area to fly.
No need to avoid Leuchars, just talk to them...

http://www.espotlight.co.uk/gbtbi/listings/53.jpg

Pilgrim101
19th Feb 2005, 10:50
Floppy

"""No need to avoid Leuchars, just talk to them...""" Of course !:oh:

I see the Scottish weather shrunk your P47 though !:p

Paul D.
21st Feb 2005, 16:24
Thanks for the kind comments about Glenrothes. I'm a JAR PPL student there (nearly ready for my solo cross country qualifier) and I've just registered on the site today.

We're told it's a good location to learn from because the runway is fairly short and narrow and there is a non-standard circuit pattern due to Glenrothes and Kinglassie, which are both very close. We have a good mix of controlled and uncontrolled airspace for training i.e. The Edinburgh CTR and Leuchars MATZ are both only 10 minutes away and we have Perth and Dundee aerodromes close by. We also have some great counrtyside for Nav flights, so I suppose I'm pretty lucky to be training there.

You should find the people are always very fiendly, so hopefully some of you will manage to pay us a visit some time.

Paul.

Blinkz
21st Feb 2005, 18:30
I have to agree that glenrothes has always been a nice place to visit. I'm currently just finishing my PPL at Edinburgh Flying club at the moment. I did most of my circuit training at fife(and my first solo!, well first powered solo :D )

Highly recommended :ok:

stiknruda
21st Feb 2005, 21:48
Great chip shop in Kinglassie, superb white pudding suppers! I went to primary school in Glenrothes, Miss Blackwell's class of '67!

Food at the Tippsy isn't shabby either!

Stik

floppyjock
22nd Feb 2005, 13:05
Pilgrim and anyone else

If your in the area of Kingsmuir just give us a call on 129.90. Your more than welcome to pop in for a meal or drink at the paraclub.

Keep a guard on your aircraft though as we will have the door of it as soon as your backs turned.

;)

Floppyjock

ggpmw
22nd Feb 2005, 16:42
Just to add to the praise of glenrothes... I visited from Blackpool between Christmas and New Year, Involving an overnight stop. A certain gentleman there... forgive me for forgetting names... was incredebly helpful, given the weather conditions being less than favourable, managed to rearrange his hangars so that I could fit the TB20 inside to keep her warm.
Nothing was too much trouble.... cheap landing fees and hangarage.... Good Food.
You're only an hour away guys... i shall visit again

Pilgrim101
23rd Feb 2005, 06:09
Stik

"""superb white pudding suppers"""

And you still fit in an aeroplane ? :p

floppyjock

I will - in June ! I suppose you'll have the exhaust off again then too ? See you at Zephyr Hills again in August ???:ok: