PDA

View Full Version : Blindness!

polomint
17th Feb 2005, 17:29
Firstly I know this topic has been covered many times but I have a slightly different worry on this.

Topic being..eyesight.

Currently I am in the RAF as a FC and on completion of my 22yrs was hoping to attempt the transition into civilian ATC as I believe I would enjoy it.

When I applied for FC, the eyesight requirements were+/- 8 diopretes and mine were -4 ish.

Had a medical recently and was shocked to discover my eyes are now -4.75 and -5.75(obviously have to were lenses which correct my vision perfectly).

My concern is that having read a previous thread on here, is it correct that on application to ATC your eyes must be within the +/-5? I have I misunderstood?

In addition, are there any circumstances where this would be overlooked..ie any experience etc etc?

Thanks

(a very worried)
Polo

Chilli Monster
17th Feb 2005, 19:43
Talk to the CAA medical branch at Gatwick - they're the only ones that will be able to give you a definitive answer (As well as doing your initial medical anyway).

Have a read of Medical Certification for ATC (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=529) and if that doesn't answer your question drop them an e-mail or give them a ring - you'll find them extremely helpful.

Vee One...Rotate
17th Feb 2005, 20:11
Due to your background and the fact that you probably meet the renewal standards for a Class I medical, I'd say your chances were fairly decent. Speak to Adrian Chorley (chief optometrist...I think)in the CAA medical division.

Best of luck,

V1R

SpotterFC
17th Feb 2005, 20:22
Polo

Get OUT of the Bunker. My eyesight is still crap but it improved by over 30% in 6 months post exiting the hole at Boulmer. (Sitting at the back of the class for the hard sums course, having real windows and not staring at a screen 12" away might have had something to do with it)

Cheers

Spotter