PDA

View Full Version : 767 engine shutdown

drix51
17th Feb 2005, 12:02
Hope this is the right place to post this. I just heard on the VHF that a 767 has had an engine failure and is diverting to shannon. I don't have any details other than that.

loewy
17th Feb 2005, 12:21
why would you hear a/c type and not airline on vhf ?

any further indications re: airline, origin & destination ?

where are they ? - at which point does the alternate decision switch from Shannon to Reykjavik ?

too many questions I guess... thx for the info anyway,

L

drix51
17th Feb 2005, 12:30
Ya too many questions for me i'm afraid. i'd wait for someone who knows what they're talking about to answer.

The latest i've heard is that the A/c is over land now. What i've heard is from Irish Coast Guard radio, they are just relaying the pan call and asking all vessels in the area to keep an eye out. They haven't given any info other than it being a 76

loewy
17th Feb 2005, 12:31
that explains it.

Thx,

L

WindSheer
17th Feb 2005, 12:33
PAN or MAYDAY??

lomapaseo
17th Feb 2005, 13:14
I don't get it?

All this bandwidth for an engine failure in the sky.

What am I missing?

loewy
17th Feb 2005, 13:21
There we go again !...

Lopapaseo, maybe you experience IFESs everyday... I don't. And neither do most of the airlines in Europe.

This unusual event over the Atlantic which sounds like it justified an ETOPS diversion is worth mentioning on this board. I am sure many people are interested in hearing some details about it.

Of course we all know (or hope!) that this is going to result in an uneventful landing, congratulations to the the crew for a job well handled, etc, etc... but don't try to be as "blasé" as to suggest that this is a non-event, just another day on the job. It isn't.

L

1DC
17th Feb 2005, 14:10
According to Ulster TV it was a delta flight, Paris to New York, and it has landed..

Airbubba
17th Feb 2005, 14:38
It was Delta 119, a B-763 CDG-JFK, blocked in at SNN at 1:41 pm local time.

http://www.delta.com/flifo/travel/reservations/travel_Info/flifo/results/flifo_results.jsp?flight_number=119&flight_date=20050217&request=main

Kestrel_909
17th Feb 2005, 15:29
What am I missing?

That it's a rare occurence.
The 767 is one of if not the most widely used aircraft across the Atlantic and has only had a small number of engine shutdowns across the pond. I can't remember the figure, it was mentioned on Disco in 'The Flight.'

If anything, I think the waste of bandwith here is your post!

hobie
17th Feb 2005, 16:00
I'm very pleased to hear that the a/c landed safely and would be interested to know the reason for the IFSD when this info becomes available. :ok:

ps. looks like the PAS will overnight in SNN and dep. Friday

Sobelena
17th Feb 2005, 21:09
:zzz: :zzz: :zzz: Another exciting day in aviation for the anoraks I see :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

BEagle
17th Feb 2005, 21:12
I'll bet it had them falling off their little aluminium stepladders!

arcniz
17th Feb 2005, 21:19
TRANSLATION for retards and furriners:

Anorak, a term of abuse

A.no.rak noun. [Esk. (Greenland) anoraq] a heavy jacket with a hood.

In the UK this form of coat was worn by all children in the 1970s, but worn now only by socially disfunctional adults who still wear the trousers they wore to school (despite the fact they never covered their ankles even back when they were 14 years old).

also

Train.spo.tting verb. [UK] the activity of recording with pen and paper, the serial numbers from the side of railway locomotives.

Trainspotting was a common childhood pursuit of British children in the post-war period, it comes under that category of hobbies that involve collecting. It is possible to buy books listing the serial numbers of all the railway rolling stock in the country and then check off each one as it is seen. Adults who practice this activity are naturally seen as dull, and immature, because the majority of people find other pursuits more attractive once they have passed the legal age for sex and alcohol.

These two phenomena in British society have given rise to a new use for the term 'anorak' (an article of clothing often worn by 'trainspotters') to mean any dull individual, or someone with a boring hobby. Hence I could be described as a Stone Circle ANORAK.

This seems like a good point to add my personal theory on the *excellent* film and novel, Trainspotting. The subject of the book is heroin addiction which is a high risk high return activity - something diametrically opposed to trainspotting, which has no risk attached and no experiential gain to be made.

courtesy of:
http://www.geocities.com/athens/parthenon/6197/anorak.htm

BEagle
17th Feb 2005, 21:24
I can understand the appeal of watching some Castle class steam locomotive belting along in a thunder of smoke and clattering red hot ironmongery back in the '50s, but why would anyone want to watch present day trains?

And as for bus spotting....

frangatang
18th Feb 2005, 01:44
Now there was a 747 captain who reggo spotted trains around the world and videoed them(steam only of course) and one day hired a car for this purpose,stopped in the bundoo to video something,left the engine running and burnt the car out after the surrounding grass caught fire.

Load Toad
18th Feb 2005, 01:52
If it's not a tractor it just isn't worth it.

Sobelena
18th Feb 2005, 06:50
"Made / Potted" a new tractor in a field yesterday! It was a red one I think (but I'd have to check my tractor log to confirm).

beamer
18th Feb 2005, 08:00
Saw a blue tractor yesterday almost 'bumping' into some hunt saboteurs - rats, missed - and they were weraing anoraks !

hobie
18th Feb 2005, 08:15
Never had an Anorak but I did have a second hand "real American Army Parka" ...... I lived in it .... loved in it .... slept in it .... and I even used to ride a 650cc Thunderbird in it, at one stage (which was really strange :p )

Yaw String
18th Feb 2005, 08:31
Was returning from LRM and these are the facts,
Delta 767 tranatlantic from Paris carried out a precautionary(obligatory) engine shutdown due indications of loss of engine oil quantity accompanied by loss of oil pressure. All handled very calmly with aircraft diverting to Shannon,Ireland. Much assistance offered by fellow crews on 123.45. End of story!!!!

hobie
18th Feb 2005, 08:54
"YS" ..... did I hear that an engine change is required?

:ok:

Scissors
18th Feb 2005, 15:51
Replacement A/C flown in today from MXP. All Pax departed at 1500 SNN-JFK. Original A/C still remote parked in SNN awaiting repair.

Scissors

yachtno1
19th Feb 2005, 07:05
I wonder what effect the incident might have on their ETOPS status?

Coleman Myers
20th Feb 2005, 07:41
Well, a safe and happy end to something irregular but well planned for in training. That someone not too familiar with it had got all "steamed up" is not suprising tho'.

Is bandwidth something to do with drawstring wind jammers ?. Or am I just getting to old for the www :}