PDA

View Full Version : Just Passed For NATS

vector801
16th Feb 2005, 18:28
Hey all,

Was wondering if anyone can help me out?
I've just recently passed the Nats Recruitment Phase and am due to start as a Trainee Air Traffic Controller at Bournemouth this September.

I no that there are a few of you out there that have done this all before and was wondering if you can help me out with a few things?

1) Do I have to attend some sort of Team Building exercise for a week somewhere?

2) With regards to Accommodation, does Nats encourage you to rent a house with others on you’re course. If anyone has any info on the accommodation side of things and what is the usual procedure would be extremely grateful.

3) Just a little enquiry into the Flying Training part of the course. If I am successful in getting that far, can I use the Hours awarded to me to re-validate my ICAO PPL that expired a year ago??

If there are any other things I should no that would benefit me before I head down south I would be extremely grateful in hearing them. I’m very excited about the prospect of trying to become an ATCO. I realize that there is a long hard slog ahead of me but I am determined that I will be successful, and hopefully a good asset to the company.

Regards, John

Loki
16th Feb 2005, 18:44
Congratulations! Can`t really help you with any of your questions, as I`m at the other end of the job.....just think of yourself as my replacement!

vector801
16th Feb 2005, 18:49
Thanks,

I have a very long way to go to do that though.

I know the training is bloody hard and that I'm going to have to put a lot of effort in. So I may lose a few weekends and evenings studying, but I would rather do that so I can reap the rewards later on eh.

Do you think that already having had a PPL will stand me in good stead for the earlier parts of the course i.e. Basic RT, Air Law, Navigation and its Aids as well as Meteorology?

Regards, John

Gonzo
16th Feb 2005, 19:25
Vector801,

I'll have a go here.

1) Team building....yes. You'll get details on this as you get nearer the time. Good fun.

2) There is no 'encouragement' to do anything regarding accommodation from NATS. All that's important is that you turn up every day on time. I would recommend getting in contact with other from your course and arranging to share accommodation, though. The course is far easier if you talk through what you learned that day with others.

Be careful regarding renting a place though, depending on how you are streamed (airports, approach or area) you will spend varying lengths of time in bournemouth, with other periods of secondments at units around the country.

3) Not sure about the ICAO PPL. I don't know much about this, but do many UK flight schools teach the ICAO licence, or is it just UK CAA PPL? You usually get a choice of three or four different schools.

The PPL history will stand you in good stead regarding basic knowledge.

vector801
16th Feb 2005, 19:32
Hey Gonzo,

Thanks for the reply.

With regards to the Accomodation, I presume I will meet others on my course when I attend this Team Building week, therefore I can discus with them the best course of action about living down there. If you advice against renting a place what would you advice me do, B&B and those sort of things??

About my ICAO PPL. I want to get it converted to a JAR PPL which will mean a few exams a Flight Test as well as the usual brushing up of my flying skills. Can I use the Hours given to me by Nats to cover the required flying hours I need to re-attain my JAR PPL?

Regards, John

Gonzo
16th Feb 2005, 21:12
On my course (started in March 98) probably half had not arranged accommodation prior to meeting on the team building week, and grouped together, rang around and organised things then.

I didn't advise against renting, many have and do, but be aware that you might not want to commit to a definite six-month lease. Perhaps you can rent somewhere for a shorter term, or perhaps a more flexible lease?

I stayed in a B&B the whole time.

About the PPL, I don't know. Most haven't flown before and the 15 hours are spent going solo and general handling, SSAT. I had done a bit of flying previously, so after I went solo I did a lot of dual cross countries and ILS /SRA approaches, VOR holds etc., stuff that we decided would be of more use from an ATC point of view. I know one guy from my course already had a PPL, and used his hours to get an IMC. I guess it depends on where you get sent for the flying, and how willing they are to adapt the programme around you. I went to East Mids (Sorry, Nottingham East Midlands Robin Hood Regional Doncaster Tees Durham or whatever it's called this week). and they were fab. The six of us had sole use of the flying school for ten days.

Winter2004
16th Feb 2005, 21:20
Hey Vector801, congratulations!

I've also just recently passed the selection for NATS. Had the medical last month so just awaiting a start date! Have you already received a start date, cos I'm really hoping for Sept but not sure if thats too optimistic!

Anyone else in the same boat? Would be good to get to know some peeps before upping sticks to Bournemouth!

I have no idea about the accommodation side of things, just looking forward to living out of a bag for a few months:-) With all my shoes! Any info would be greatly received, plus any B&B recommendations!

Fingers crossed, I'll be joining you in just over 6 months!

Winter

vector801
16th Feb 2005, 21:32
Hey Winter,

Congratulations to you to!!

I rang Nats Recruitment on Tuesday and they told me that I would be looking at a Sept start date. They couldn't give me any more details other than that.

Here is the No. that I rang - 01489 616090

Give them a call and see if you get any joy.

Here's my e-mail anyway if you want to keep in touch - [email protected]

I'm on MSN as well.

Regards, John

tired-flyboy
17th Feb 2005, 04:09
I'll add to what Gonzo has said

1. Yes to the team building! Great time

2. No official slant, however is you rent a flat be prepared to make up the rent from your wage as when you are away at flying training/ Ops Famil/ BA week or even on holiday you get NO WAP payments (£100pw)
Details about B/B's will come in the post, if you have not recieved them - badger HR from about 6 weeks before your course as the nice ones go first and fast!!!

3. Flying training - yip whatever you wish to do. There was a mixture of skills test, CPL(IR) renewal, FAA conversion to JAA and JAA IMC course. As long as the cost can be contained within the 15hrs flying time then you will be OK.

Like everything in life - if you don't ask you won't get!

Anyways

Congrats on passing and try and not fret about the wait for your start date - HR can and probably will drag it out!!

Anything else you need - just ask!

:ok: :ok:

Scotsliveit
17th Feb 2005, 09:38
Congratulations Vector.

I'm due to start in a couple of weeks. Yes you go to a nice hotel for your induction week. I've done that sort of thing before and it's a good laff especially in the bar afterwards.

Concerning accomodation I've just been sent a big list through. It seems some people send their letting details direct to the college looking for TATC's in particular. Christ one here even has a swimming pool and jacuzzi (Party Party methinks) although it's too close to the college in Hurn and it will be a trek going out in Bournemouth.

A couple of my pals have scoped out a B&B called the hawaiian to stay at first. I truly though don't believe I'll be able to stay in a B&B for an overlong period of time.

Gonzo was it OK staying in a B&B the whole time? i.e some nights just wanting to chill and watch TV, having a long bath?

Good luck vector.

Oh by the way, I've been to the driving range in bournemouth, but does anyone know any good golf courses near Bournemouth?

dingerc
17th Feb 2005, 10:01
Vector801/Winter2004... Congratulations folks! Looks like I'll more than likely be joining you later in the year. I was originally told I'd definitely be in the June course but now that all seems to be very much up in the air.

HR weren't exactly forthcoming with information when I rang them either. I can't wait to make my move from Belfast and get started and I'm really hoping to scrape on to the June course if there are still places. Hopefully once all the March intake have started HR can turn their attention to the rest of us...

If there are any other 2005 starts out there it would be great to hear from you!

Evil J
17th Feb 2005, 14:27
Gonzo:-

You seem a little confused, but then as you work at the centre of the universe I won't hold it against you :E

Nottingham East Midlands Airport = former East Midlands Airport EGNX

Robin Hood Doncaster Sheffield Airport= former RAF Finningley EGCN

Durham Tees Valley Airport= former Teeside Airport EGNV

Hope that clears things up!!

Gonzo
17th Feb 2005, 17:46
Evil J, I thought that might fish you out.....and yes, they all blur into one for me. :confused:

Scots, yes, B&B was fine. It was an odd place, with happenings that seemed straight out of a cross between 'Cracker' and a Hammer Horror film. However, it was quiet enough for studying every night, if that's what I wanted to do.

having a long bath?

Who's been blabbing????? :oh:

RogerOut
17th Feb 2005, 19:37
Vector 801, congratulations a good choice of career:O
There is a weeks team building exercise, not quite sure what its purpose was, but you put names and faces together. No pressure.
Regarding accommodation, don't rush it. Go for a B&B (plenty, most cadets start in Boscombe), you will get a list through. I didn't book anything until the team building week and it worked out okay.
On arrival at the college there is an accomodation folder as thick as the yellow pages with accommodation of varying standards and, of course, prices. It's probably best to share with someone on your course so you can go over the days proceedings before going to the pub. Work out who you'll get on with and what you're prepared to pay. Watch the letting times for houses etc, as you will be spending periods away from the college. Be prepared to put in the time studying and the effort should be rewarded. Good luck.

DI.Burnside
18th Feb 2005, 06:51
Well done.

I applied Feb 2003, told I was successful in June 2004 and was told I should be starting in June 2005.........subject to confirmation. Had no word from NATS since November and not even had a Medical yet. Any body else in the same boat?

Thinking of moving down to Bournemouth anyway and finding another job till I start, anybody have any suggestions? :ugh:

DI Burnside

Inverted81
18th Feb 2005, 07:02
Yep.... agree with all the above.... except one thing....
The Hawaiian, not the best b&b to choose, the landlady is somewhat scary... BE WARNED ;)

I used my 15hrs to revalidate my JAA PPL (A) so shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck ! :cool:

Scotsliveit
18th Feb 2005, 09:41
Haha 'somewhat scary'.

Is she one of those predatory older women? Like the landladies who seduce the young YTS footballers in their residence ;)

italiancars
18th Feb 2005, 14:57
Well done to all getting on the course.

A word of warning tho, i was originally told I would be on a Jan 2002 course and in the end didn't start until Oct of the same year, so don't go handing in any notices until the last feasible minute and you have had 100% confirmation from NATS as they change things quickly if for example lots of people failed the previous course and are then recoursed, I was fortunate that I worked for an understanding company but many don't.

Accommodation, I rented the whole way through the course as i enjoy my own space & a secure parking space for my car and I could afford it as I own a property elsewhere in the country and rent that out which made up the short fall from the wap. Most people on my course rented, either with partners who moved to Bournemouth as well or after meeting people on the induction week which I believe is held at New Place now, used to be Highfield, there were very few who did the B&B thing. The reason NATS discourage renting is it is a fact that some people will fail it's the harsh reality of it but expect to see it, and therefore could be stuck with a rental agreement and no income, and when you are away on leave you get no wap as well, or on flying training or OJT you have to pay for 2 places, but budget for this and you'll be fine.

As for moving down before hand to get a lye of the land this is good if you can afford it, i moved down about 3 weeks before I was due to start, so had all my accommodation sorted before the course began and knew my way around. I know of at least one person who moved down 6 months before and got a job in a call centre as there are many.

I know 2 people on my course used the 15 hours flying towards getting their instrument rating PPL, but had to pay for the exam itself or something like that.

HTH

tired-flyboy
19th Feb 2005, 08:09
No Scotslivet,

the word is that shes one of those psychotic women who like to throw things and damage property if you P**s her off!!

Scotsliveit
19th Feb 2005, 12:13
Oh Dear :ooh:

Noted thanks

rodan
19th Feb 2005, 15:33
If I was minded to call the Hawaiian and tell them about this thread, I imagine they'd probably find it quite libelous.

For some balance, unless the place is under new management, I found it to be a pleasant and friendly enough place to stay, and the landlady was not even slightly 'scary'.

Inverted81
19th Feb 2005, 15:45
fair enough... just thought it worthwhile to raise the point. after all we're all here to help each other....

go there if ya want.... no probs to me!

anyways back to the original reason for the thread...

MilliganNI
23rd Feb 2005, 21:46
Hey, I don't know if I'm adding any additional information here or not, but I'll go for it anyway!

Firstly congrats lads on getting in!

I have just finished the introductory course (finished on Monday!)

1. Yea there is a pretty good fun Induction week. We had ours in the Merriot in Southampton. Its a really good chance to meet all the other people on your course, enjoy it!!

2. With regards to accomodation, I would STRONGLY recommend that you stay in a B&B, at least for your intro course (approx 10 weeks). Its definatly the cheapest option. Besides, remember you will be a "Moveable Grade" and you will move! I myself having stayed in a B&B am now going to Manston in Kent for 2 weeks flying training, then undergoing "Operation Familiarisation" for 2 months, which for me will take place in TC in West Drayton. Some guys will be in Manchester and some in Scottish although some will be in Swanwick. So you can see that taking out a rental contract could be a bit of a gamble. However you could rent out after the Ops Famil stage.
In terms of B&B I really recommend The Clematis on Westby Road in Boscombe. Its prob the best one in Boscombe!!! As for the Hawaiian, some guys from my course stayed there and have had no problem from the owner, (although I have heard some stories from previous courses)!

3. I have no idea about revalidating you licence I'm afraid!!

One final word, regarding the work! Be prepared to do a LOT of work. Realistically, with the current Intro Course, you will be looking at an 8 hour day in college, followed by about 3 hours work each night (although we usually took Fridays off!!) You will grow to love and cherish your MATS Part 1 trust me! :-)

Anyway, I look forward to seeing you in sunny Bournemouth!! All the best for when you start!!

Andy.