PDA

View Full Version : The Emirates FACTS thread

Dissapointed
16th Feb 2005, 13:17
There's a lot of rubbish that's been written about Emirates here, both positive and negative, that is giving an incorrect impression. I think it's best if we stick to the facts. Rumours, such as only 2 out of 16 pilots turning up on their start day, are affecting all of us that work here as well as influencing those thta do want to join up. So sticking with the facts, here's a couple to dwell on.

Emirates are now suffering record numbers of pilots off sick. This is a coroborated fact and is, I believe, due to the extensive duties that are now being performed. Ultra long haul without the correct rest facilities, back to back duties involving combined rest days, only eight days off a month with duty months of well over 100 hours not uncommon. Trip patterens that can involve travelling from New Zealand to the US (The long way around!) with just a few days in between to recover before setting off again. No wonder many of the guys are sick.

Leave allocations for the forthcoming year cannot be given due to the available number of leave slots being full. Many pilots have been unable to have their annual entitlement awarded and have had to carry the leave forward.

If any other Emirates pilots have facts that they wish to share, please add to this thread.

Plank Cap
16th Feb 2005, 13:35
Next Fact:

I flew last night arriving home this morning. I slept as much as I could - 4 hours.
I am rostered to fly again tonight.
In accordance with the Ops Manual requirement to ensure I am well rested prior to flying, chapter 21 paragraph 1.1, I shall not be reporting for duty this evening.
Sorry to all on standby, just can't take any more...........

runkelj
16th Feb 2005, 15:16
Facts:
Have been working over 100 hours every month in last 7 months.
Have been shafted with reserves and support sims after filled credit monthly limit when new payscam started.
Have been awarded 14 days of leave after personal intervention. Still have over 70 days to burn from previous years. No leaves for a third of drivers this year, so don't worry about bond in your contracts.
Constantly being rostered or called out on stby for long haul (ozz then NY) with 2 nights in between.
Spent 4 hours in suicidal traffic because had to pick up my passport in Ek office on my only day off in a week.
Called sick and slept for 3 days when I couldn't take it any more.
Will not be biologically able to work under such conditions for much longer. And it is going to get much worse. In the near future.

BYMONEK
16th Feb 2005, 16:21
Facts

Managed to get 42 days leave this year,some of which first choice.
This months roster,3 europeans( deadhead on 2),2 very short turnrounds,2 standbys,5 days leave and 11 days off.

Just trying to balance the scales of doom & gloom!

Points noted,however,on this ultra longhaul flying and the lack of sufficient rest.Something really is going to have to be done if this Company wants to avoid half its Pilots off on long term Fatigue/Chronic stress and it's going to get worse by the sounds of it.Speaking to a Cathay Pilot in Jakarta recently,they get min 3 days off after any trip,4 days for the longer ones and 5 for the ultra longhaul.That's what we need! Friend just recently did back to back London with 14 hrs rest in Dubai. 2nd departure was middle of night! Aren't the EK Clinic supposed to get involved in this or are they there to treat the fatigue rather than prevent it.
I guess that if you pay the fiddler,he plays the tune that YOU want eh?

Qatari515
16th Feb 2005, 16:57
Just a question out of intrest:

on the long haul and ultra long haul flights, how do you guys deal with FT/DT limitations? Heavy crew? Third pilot? Blocked seats where and how? Crew bunks? What about the cabin crew?

Just asking because it seems to become a big BIG problem and as we all know, we are just a couple of months behind in copying your shedules?

Good luck guys and plse continue to publish those facts. I am sure we here at QR will follow.

Banzai Eagle
16th Feb 2005, 18:55
I'm paxing LGW-DXB on Monday 21/2 on EK. Is the LGW trip a 24 hr stopover or more?.

Dissapointed
16th Feb 2005, 19:13
All Emirates European flights involve the crew laying over at the destination for between 22 and 26 hours.

davidletterman
16th Feb 2005, 23:00
The pace just sucks!

...any questions?

Aussie
17th Feb 2005, 01:04
How long are ya layovers in Sydney?

Anyone flying out of syd to dubai on the 16th march?
Im on that flight.

Aussie

fatbus
17th Feb 2005, 03:35
dxb-syd-dxb 36hrs
dxb-syd-akl-syd dxb 24hrs in syd
Mar blocks not out til @ 25th
New shed coming for mar with additional 777
FTL for 4 pilot have a sep Ops Plan, in theory no limit

Ghostflyer
17th Feb 2005, 04:48
Disappointed,

Good theory but sadly this is PPrumourNE and anyone can write anything they like (Just like the Sunday Sport - Grandmother has alien baby!). You and I both know that 90% of the things that go on in any company are not known by those at the coalface. In EK it is probably even less than that because all of the pilots have been squeezed out of office jobs so that they can get them on the line flying.

Fact - EK are short of pilots! BYMONEK before you start saying but look at my roster, 30 days off and one trip to El Dorado I will caveat that by saying but not in all categories. It seems clear that the 340 does not have enough pilots to allow for a sensible working pattern but that may be by design. It could be argued that a decision may have been taken that paying a few pilots overtime is less costly than hiring new pilots. The reduction in flight hours recorded for augmented operations would appear to support this arguement. Alternatively we might be struggling to recruit pilots, maybe that is where the 777 rumour comes from. Whichever of these it is will determine whether, and how quickly, things will improve.

The thing I notice is that on the 330 some of the F/Os are pretty laid back and not working too hard. On the 340 some are being worked ridiculously; sadly the bidding system was supposed to protect us but doesn't. If you get the right roster (are senior enough) you can end up with overtime, days off and a decent quality of life. If not minimum days off are the order of the day. The fatigue (heart factor) model was removed from the bidding system, as I understand it, because we would have needed a lot more pilots to crunch the numbers. Wasn't there a doc who was in charge of fatigue? It was in the outer marker, trumpets blarring. It might be an interesting exercise to run the bidding system again with the heart factor applied to see whether there are any conflicts.

The problem must be starting to be noticed by the powers that be, I read that CPA had given us all thanks for working through 'unprecedented levels of sickness' at the end of last year. Now some of that might have been down to 'an unusually cold winter' but some was probably due to fatigue.

Sorry only one fact and some conjecture to try and make sense of it.

Ghost :zzz:

crapflying
17th Feb 2005, 09:11
Dissapointed,
I think you must not have been here for a long time just like me, and you have not realized that even the EK contract is not a fact but rather a rumour as it changes as more and more people get involved with it... Therefore it is only appropriate that the lads write about facts that are rumours or rumours that are facts since all this stems from the ultimate rumour/fact which is the contract.

Allas though TCAS is about to change this with his communication network to come in place soon, so when you do get shafted in the future you will know about it for a fact not hear the rumour first.....:D :D

40 days to go....

Not from here
17th Feb 2005, 10:31
In EK hours for augmented crews are factored on a 4 man crew only 2/3rds count to your max limit of 100 hrs in 28 days and in the case of a 3 man crew ¾ is used.
The consequent is many A330/340 crews well over 100 hrs in 28days last month I did 104 in 22days, but as it was spread of 2 months and leave and ground duties added in, no overtime paid. With the loss of flying credit for leave and ground duties this also means if you take leave you have to make up the flying credit, in my case 8 days leave taken at the end of the month I did 79 hrs in 17 days with 3 days during and 3 days off prior to leave. Under the old system this was 101 credit. Thou the company deny it is doing it on purpose!!!!!
The latest rumor is with the change to the SYD/ AKL pattern B777 doing AKL via BKK, SYD. A340 crew (4 man) to operate DXB/ SYD Duty 1520 arr SYD 0645.
Rest 13:55 Depart same day 2110 SYD/DXB Duty 1605.
Wonder what annex that’s under??????

Plank Cap
17th Feb 2005, 11:32
Does any other major player in the airline world use this outrageous method of factorising flying hours?

scanscanscan
17th Feb 2005, 11:39
Annex is........ You fly them... not me... shut up or ship out.
You have one "right" and that is to go sick and then walk off the job.
There is a lot of "Premature mortality in your rosters" I think they know it and I know if they care with no crews they will do nothying about it.
It was the same in Gulf Air in 1982 when a Doctor told me all of this.
The insurance companies do not know it (yet) so you should if you wish to provide for your family insure your life heavily and fly these rosters as they will certainly kill you off, before a long and happy retirement at the new age of 65?
They are all heart and the pilots are on the wrong end of a ****ty stick.
If you do not like your roster tell them and walk.

rumblytumblypoo
17th Feb 2005, 12:21
That will come under the Authorities brown envelope Annex 1.1 pg 1

"

Operators requiring deviations should contact the Authority in advance. Authority for a deviation will only be granted once the Operators flight pattern has been approved by the Authorities’ Inspectors from a suitable first class seat. This Seat shall be available to the inspector and any member his family at any time and to any destination fee of charge.

The Authority reserves the right to reduce rest periods, extend duty times, extend total flying hour limits and generally reduce safety until receipt of the Operators official request for approval. Such requests will only be granted when the Authority receives such requests in suitably padded brown envelopes, all submissions must have a resemblance of George Washington embossed on the submission, be submitted on light green paper 3" * 5"

Only Forms of the $100 series will be accepted.

All Submissions must contain a minimum of 500 original copies.

Copies of the Operators submissions and request for approval can be Fast Tracked, when the number of copies of the application significantly exceeds the minimum number of copies given above.

"

BYMONEK
17th Feb 2005, 13:56
Not from here

I'd like to know who the operating Captain was on your Sydney and gently remind him to look at the min rest requirements. Min rest is 12 hours at base (12.30 after chocks on) If your duty is longer than 12 hours then your rest has to be increased to match the amount of time you've been on duty ie 15hr20min duty requires rest of 15hr20min.This has nothing to do with factorizing so they can't reduce it because there were 4 Pilots.It's the DUTY time that counts NOT flight duty period. If your facts are correct,that flight operated back illegally!

Ghost.

As you say,I can only comment from my perspective and I know it can vary amongst the fleet.There is still plenty of white left on the leave bids for B777. I wish I did have 30 days off although in February that might be difficult eh?

2 questions;

1) Heard that we now get credit for sim support?
2) I thought that the hours factorizing was only applicable for the time to enter log book for stick time etc.not interpreted the way that EK have to allow more flying a month.I am not familiar with the ultra longhaul 'yet' but this question should be asked on the main forum to see what the other Airlines do!:suspect:

donpizmeov
17th Feb 2005, 16:56
Its a big resounding NO to SIM supports being paid. Also a big NO to being paid the money to work on a day off if you have above the min of 8 days off per month, ie: you will only be paid the work on day off money, if you have 8days off only in that month, and you are asked to work on one of these, and no other day off is given. Has taken me all this month to finally get the answer on this one from one of the grown ups!!! Remember FOM says SHOULD have 8 days off per month!
The factoring of hours does limit what you put in your log book. And this new lower number, is the number used to calculate the 100hrs per 28days. And yes, it is widely being used at the moment for Bus ops in EK. Something for you to look forward to BYMONEK.

Don

BYMONEK
17th Feb 2005, 17:39
Don

Thanks for the reply and no surprise then regarding sim support.I had heard that lots of guys going sick for them so thought there might be some truth in rumour.As for this hours factoring malarky, do you know if other Airlines such as Cathay,BA,Quantas use it?

BYMONEK

Plank Cap
18th Feb 2005, 04:41
Virgin for one, do not factorise.

Believe Brother
18th Feb 2005, 05:22
BYMONEK

None of the airlines you mention uses the factoring. I have spoken to acquaintances in each of them (all pilots), and the response each time was "...Emirates does what?? That is unbelievable!..." My response each time was, "Keep discovering".

Trashed Aviator
18th Feb 2005, 07:10
Some facts....
The 330-340 ccq courses are finished after april for a minimum of 6 months....(as only 2 more 340s coming this year and some doubt as to the -600s coming at all).

Looks like the goodlife will remain on the 330.......for some .

With no transition upgrades you could probably leave EK now come back in 1 year as a new f/O on the 777 and still get a command quicker than waiting on the Airbus....

Management just cant understand why pilots cant work the same as most people in the UAE , 12 hrs a day six days a week for one tenth of the pay .. Whats the problem with the pilots , they (management) cant see it ......

One final word of caution , never ever give up a command to come to the middle east as an f/o , because once its gone its a long road back and even other employers will only treat you as an f/o if you want to leave .... Fast track seems to be finished and DECs get priority when times are tough , even f/os who have the DEC Hour requirement cannot get an upgrade .

Be Careful ..... for a young f/o its still a very good job with a nice career path and living here is great especially the weather...

Some second officers would help for crew relief and be cheaper so maybe they could rest the crews better....

Its really not that difficult to run an airline and keep people happy is it ...........

crapflying
18th Feb 2005, 08:18
The 340 courses are stopping in late April as the sim will be down for upgrade work and not enough sim sessions available to do both recurrent and ccq. Emirates does not want to have to use the joint venture sim in the CAE Emirates building as that actualy costs them money, but then again this is their idea today.... The reason I know this, is becuse I will be working for one of the customers who would be using sims here in the UAE and I will be doing some of their training at other locations. The A340-600 will be coming to Emirates, not all of them, but the firm orders as Airbus said to Emirates cough up the penalty clauses if you do not want to take them. Emirates will take the contractual required 12 A340-600 and as my friends in Toulouse tell me (as of last week) Emirates has commited engineers and money for the 600 as recently as last week.
People might say that Emirates has a big say with Airbus which is true but if they want to keep there status they have to keep paying, otherwise they cannot keep up their great status. Emirates still has not been able to convince Airbus despite their massive orders to help them support the A340-300s they got off boeing. Boeing is still responsible to source spare parts and provide parts support for these aircraft as airbus had always claimed they would not touch them. Those of you who fly the 340-300 for EK will know this because you probably carry around adds and still not fixed as not easy to come by spare parts. (ie bleed valves, etc....)

davidletterman
18th Feb 2005, 15:01
FACT: No matter how you look at it, in the civlilized world, the absolut limit on flight time is 1000 hours in 12 calendar months! And yes, ALL time spent aloft as part of a crew is used in computing the limits!

Q-71. A flight crewmember is assigned to a three-pilot (augmented) crew on a two-crew aircraft scheduled for a 12-hour flight and cannot be at the controls more than eight hours. Does he/she log eight or 12 hours of flight time?

A-71. The pilot logs 12 hours as the entire time is duty aloft. Therefore, the total time must be counted in computing the monthly and yearly limits.

APPENDIX 2: PART 121: SUBPART R – FLIGHT TIME LIMITATIONS: FLAG OPERATIONS

§ 121.480 Applicability. This subpart prescribes flight time limitations and rest requirements for flag operations, except that certificate holders conducting operations with airplanes having a passenger seat configuration of 30 seats or fewer, excluding each crewmember seat, and a payload capacity of 7,500 pounds or less, may comply with the applicable requirements of §§ 135.261 through 135.273 of this chapter.

§ 121.481 Flight time limitations: One or two pilot crews.

(a) A certificate holder conducting flag operations may schedule a pilot to fly in an airplane that has a crew of one or two pilots for eight hours or less during any 24 consecutive hours without a rest period during these eight hours.

(b) If a certificate holder conducting flag operations schedules a pilot to fly more than eight hours during any 24 consecutive hours, it shall give him an intervening rest period, at or before the end of eight scheduled hours of flight duty. This rest period must be at least twice the number of hours flown since the preceding rest period, but not less than eight hours. The certificate holder shall relieve that pilot of all duty with it during that rest period.

(c) Each pilot who has flown more than eight hours during 24 consecutive hours must be given at least 18 hours of rest before being assigned to any duty with the certificate holder.

(d) No pilot may fly more than 32 hours during any seven consecutive days, and each pilot must be relieved from all duty for at least 24 consecutive hours at least once during any seven consecutive days.

(e) No pilot may fly as a member of a crew more than 100 hours during any one calendar month.

(f) No pilot may fly as a member of a crew more than 1,000 hours during any 12-calendar-month period.

§ 121.483 Flight time limitations: Two pilots and one additional flight crewmember.

(a) No certificate holder conducting flag operations may schedule a pilot to fly, in an airplane that has a crew of two pilots and at least one additional flight crewmember, for a total of more than 12 hours during any 24 consecutive hours.

(b) If a pilot has flown 20 or more hours during any 48 consecutive hours or 24 or more hours during any 72 consecutive hours, he must be given at least 18 hours of rest before being assigned to any duty with the air carrier. In any case, he must be given at least 24 consecutive hours of rest during any seven consecutive days.

(c) No pilot may fly as a flight crewmember more than –

(1) 120 hours during any 30 consecutive days;

(2) 300 hours during any 90 consecutive days; or

(3) 1,000 hours during any 12-calendar-month period.

§ 121.485 Flight time limitations: Three or more pilots and an additional flight crewmember.

(a) Each certificate holder conducting flag operations shall schedule its flight hours to provide adequate rest periods on the ground for each pilot who is away from his base and who is a pilot on an airplane that has a crew of three or more pilots and an additional flight crewmember. It shall also provide adequate sleeping quarters on the airplane whenever a pilot is scheduled to fly more than 12 hours during any 24 consecutive hours.

(b) The certificate holder conducting flag operations shall give each pilot, upon return to his base from any flight or series of flights, a rest period that is at least twice the total number of hours he flew since the last rest period at his base. During the rest period required by this paragraph, the air carrier may not require him to perform any duty for it. If the required rest period is more than seven days, that part of the rest period in excess of seven days may be given at any time before the pilot is again scheduled for flight duty on any route.

(c) No pilot may fly as a flight crewmember more than –

(1) 350 hours during any 90 consecutive days; or

(2) 1,000 hours during any 12-calendar-month period.

145qrh
18th Feb 2005, 17:07
Loved the chat show David, although I don't see what significance FAA regs are to EK drivers???

EK has followed , until now, a much more civilised FTL scheme , CAP 371, and various UK CAA regulations.

Even with the new hours calculations I would be very surprised if anyone goes over 900 actual hours in a 12 month period. It's possible and it may happen , just cant see it myself, and before anyone does a complicated sum you would have to do virtually nothing but 4 crew flights for the year, and we don't have that many.

Although with the reduction in leave available and 8 days off a month and crew shortages , hey someone deserves a GOLD Mabrook award .............

davidletterman
18th Feb 2005, 17:52
The FARs are just a point of reference. Since the Americans invented flying, I suppose they might have a point, that is all.

True, with the new flight time limitations scam at EK, probably nobody will exeed the limits. However, if you guys in the UK and various other regulations allow for that kid of scam,i.e., only "stick time" counted toward flight time limitations, well, I can not see the civilised side of that! By the way, do you then not log the times you get up to go to the toilet during flight?? That in principle would really make for a complicated formula...

Later

145qrh
18th Feb 2005, 19:03
"You are lazy pilot"..." why you want time off" ..."why you leave Dubai it's paradise " ...." everything here wonderful" said an un-named management exec to the Gulf News, when asked about FTL's and a shock rise in the resignations from EK..

Did you know they got the idea for the Trueman Show from Dubai, it's a well know fact that the world ends just the other side of Jebel Ali......only kidding.

:D :D :D :D

Mo Heekan
18th Feb 2005, 21:33
145qrh..........ask the guy in EK who has just gone over 900 hours about his week of sim support (unpaid of course)!

:\

sluggums
19th Feb 2005, 11:03
AAR "When we call lazy pilots on day off to work, they all say they have had a drink"

Infadel Minion " Well your highness it would seem to be their right to partake of the evil liquor on their days off"

AAR "Issue FCI now, no pilots allowed to drink before end of day off":ok:

albatross2004
20th Feb 2005, 09:01
EK augmented flying credit is 2/3 for calculation towards the 100 hour monthly limit, but as far as the payment for the time on duty is concerned in an augmented crew compliment, it is paid for the entire duration. So what is all the fuss about? If the company is better utilizing the crew what's wrong with it? Maybe the EK drivers have become accustomed to taking a fat paycheck without actually putting in the required manhours, and so now that the company has increased productivity and one has to actually work to earn, there is all this activity - ASRs etc. I would like to ask is safety really being compromised or is it that under the garb of safety EK drivers are trying to advance their pecuniary interests? ;)

I also know that the hard hour limit has been reduced to 78 and that version 4 with more stringent FDTL has been adopted by EK in place of the previous version 3.
:p

Any thoughts on these FACTS :cool:

20th Feb 2005, 09:45
Albertosser

Thanks for pointing out the FACTS.

You are correct in the limited FACTS you have provided. What you have neglected to add to your FACTS is that along with the "increase in productivity" by changing our conditions, we no longer get any credit for simulator, standby, sim support, office days to list a few. So after flying 140hrs we can be put on standby, sent to the sim etc and get no pay whatsoever for that. Now that's what i call a productivity increase!

It is irrelevant as to whether other companies do this, or Maybe the EK drivers have become accustomed to taking a fat paycheck without actually putting in the required manhours.

The FACT is we were all employed under different terms and had them changed unilaterally. Sure there is nothing we can do about it, but we dont have to be happy about it either.

Backwater
20th Feb 2005, 09:47
Try flying 100 unfactored long haul hours, in a bunk or not, over more time zones than you can count and see how you feel at the end of it. But EK manage to throw in some cute DOH or THR night shots just to top things up. The result - min days off, feeling like a zombie, no life.
Albatross, are you seriously defending this?

albatross2004
20th Feb 2005, 12:32
61ohoh

Yes you have the right to be unhappy. But then you'd agree that most of us are insatiable most of the time.

Not being able to do anything about the reason that makes you unhappy, well you could always move to another place, and exercising this choice is your prerogative.:rolleyes:

The FACT is we were all employed under different terms and had them changed unilaterally

When offered a contract, wasn't it drawn unilaterally by the company? Was there a negotiation and the contract amended or did you sign on the dotted line as required? :ok:

Backwater
20th Feb 2005, 12:36
Albatross. While you're here...
You mention EK has adopted more stingent FDTLs. Please elaborate. From a CAP371 perspective, they are taking the preverbial.

20th Feb 2005, 12:39
ah yes, albertosser

The old "if you don't like you can leave" defence. Perennial favourite of the wind up merchants, and the way all great companies are run.

I actually have my CV in for all the fantastic jobs available, and my family can't wait to move to some other 3rd world Sh*thole just so that i can go na na na na na at the management.

Gee I wonder why didn't I think of that option earlier.

Statorblade
20th Feb 2005, 13:45
Albatross2004 -

Under any definition, a contract is an AGREEMENT between 2 parties.

Breach of contract occurs when one party changes the terms of a contract without the agreement of the other party.

You and your namesake albatosser should take the rose coloured glasses off and realise that these guys might just have a very legitimate point of view, particularly after they signed contracts in good faith.

In countries where their is more protection for workers, companies are much more reticent in going ahead with the blatant abuses that seem to occur all too frequently in the middle east. :mad: :mad:

Check 'Six'
20th Feb 2005, 15:06
Dont worry chaps,

These wind up merchants will get what"s coming to them soon enough, and I guarantee it, they will be the first ones who will start squeeling like stuck pigs!

Regards

Quod Boy
20th Feb 2005, 18:14
Having reviewed my last 12 months rosters,I note I did 4 lots of reserves,all in my bottom 2 bid groups,fair enough.average 10 days off.

Since Dec 01,2004,I have done reserve EVERY month,in ALL bid groups,average 9 days off.

I have also,done 104,102,99 and 104 hrs credit since Dec 01st 2004,but not a CENT of overtime,as I have had,leave(reserve as above) and my own sim.

FACTS.

Any co-incidence?

QB

davidletterman
20th Feb 2005, 20:59
Hey pelican boy, are you a pilot?? you sound confused man...

Down_Under002
20th Feb 2005, 23:22
No such thing as a contract in the middle east.

If your lucky you get a bottle of KY just after you've signed on the dotted line.

cardomumT
21st Feb 2005, 00:30
Not From Here

From 02May (SYD) the 340 layover becomes 36 hours rest i.e. arrive 0605 Monday, depart 2110 Tuesday. No word on hotel yet.

dunerider
21st Feb 2005, 01:10
And the 777 boys get to do another 8 days straight.Just cant wait.

SecurID
21st Feb 2005, 01:35
36 hours? Thank goodness for that, I was assuming that it would be the old minumum rest that we 'enjoyed' when the Sydney flights first started via Singapore.

I know this is the FACTS thread, but when the B777-300ER starts arriving can we asssume that all the A340-500 ultra long haul will transfer to this aircraft with the advantage of the same range but with greater capacity? If so what will the -500s do?

00bultril
21st Feb 2005, 01:52
Albatosser:yuk:

I'll tell you what the FUSS is all about.
I am 13000dh/month out of pocket for the same work !!!!!:{

Check six
Ja boet, ek stem saam. Goed gaan.

typhoonpilot
21st Feb 2005, 04:15
I know this is the FACTS thread, but when the B777-300ER starts arriving can we asssume that all the A340-500 ultra long haul will transfer to this aircraft with the advantage of the same range but with greater capacity? If so what will the -500s do?

Bad assumption, the 777-300ER can not do SYD or MEL with a full payload. Max fuel with a full payload is around 103 tonnes versus about a 106 tonne fuel burn in calm winds. That is before including route reserve, alternate, and final holding. The 777-300ER is a good 11 to 12 hour airplane, not 14 plus. The A345 will keep the ultra long haul until the 777-200LR arrives :ok:

TP

etops777
21st Feb 2005, 09:35
TP
747-400 is "THE" only airplane that is capable of doing long haul flight without any restrictions.

I am sure 777-300ER can do SYD or MEL with only few restrictions as 777-200ER in SQ does TPE-LAX regularly without any payload restrictions even on a most unfavorable conditions from LAX-TPE which on a certain day can be 14.5 hours across Pacific.

GLOC
21st Feb 2005, 19:16
The rostering has really cut into valuable drinking time at Scarlets!

:{

sandpit
21st Feb 2005, 23:36
The approval for the same short turnaround on the A340 as was used previously on the A330 and B777 to SYD, has been in place since Dec 2003 when 340 ops started. It just hasn't been used - yet!

Plank Cap
22nd Feb 2005, 05:54
FACT:
The waiver for FTL from the GCAA enabling the 8 day Brisbane pattern is due to run out 31 March this year according to the FCI. Any bets on an extension???!!! Or should that be an extension to the extension to the previous extension?

No doubt the newly instigated company fatigue monitoring group will be recommending a return to normal FTL rules......
Still never mind apparently it's not a tiring trip, as explained by management at the last pilot meeting. Keep Discovering......

uplock
22nd Feb 2005, 07:11
Hey don’t you know what FTL really means with Emirates?

FTL = Forget about Time Limitations

VeniVidiVici
22nd Feb 2005, 20:28
FTL could also mean the following to Emirates :-

FTL = Fix The Lazylumps

:ok:

VeniVidiVici
24th Feb 2005, 10:12
FTL could also mean the following for EK pilots :-

FTL= Forsake The Lame-excuses ( and work );)

Arctaurus
24th Feb 2005, 10:52
Earth to Veni,

What planet are you on ? :confused:

donpizmeov
24th Feb 2005, 15:17
Think Veni is trying to get to Qatar as a DEC. That'll teach him.

Don

davidletterman
24th Feb 2005, 16:24
Veni,

Ignorance is bliss...

Come, see, and you shall be conquered!

VeniVidiVici
24th Feb 2005, 17:39
Arctaurus

Its for me to know & you to find out.

Don

Nah. QR has had its bit of bad press, though it doesn't bother me. I went for the interview simply to get an independent assessment of my competencies, you see over time and staying put one thinks that he is professionally good whereas that may be incorrect. So sometimes its nice to go for interviews without really being serious regarding moves.:cool:

Dave

In assuming a celebrity name you don't know everything. Learn to look beyond your nose.

For the benefit of all those interested in this thread, there is a continuation of this in Rumours & News ( SAME TOPIC).

davidletterman
24th Feb 2005, 17:45
Veni,

...is that a showercap you are wearing, or is that your real hair?

Arctaurus
24th Feb 2005, 17:48
Veni,

I'd see a doctor for a higher dose of whatever tablets you are taking.

".... I went for the interview simply to get an independent assessment of my competencies..."

Hmmmmm :E :E

VeniVidiVici
24th Feb 2005, 18:06
Arctaurus

I will refer your comment to WHITEHALL the producers of Centrum in UK.

BYMONEK
25th Feb 2005, 16:43
Hey guys,VeniVediVici may have a point here.You see,before I came to Dubai I thought I was a safe, law abiding and considerate driver....of motor vehicles that is! After all, I have been driving a car now for well over 20 years and have not been tested since I first took my test many moons ago. Of course,Driving my car in a civilized European environment has probably made me not only complacent but in need of a reality check by some other independent authority to ensure my continuing professionalism at the wheel.
I therefore intend to take Veni's advice and will be booking myself in for a 'phantom' test with one of the local driving schools here in Dubai to gain an " independent assessment of my competencies"................now,where's the bloody horn on this car?

NIGHTTRAMP
26th Feb 2005, 03:48
FTL's and Extentions

Don't worry boys the MIRROR MEN are here.

There LOOKING IN TO IT

NT:ooh: