PDA

View Full Version : Best Stream

italianjon
16th Feb 2005, 12:57
Hi Guys,

I know this question has been asked before, but it never seems to quite answer my question.

I am going through the selection process. Passed the first stage, and have booked interview... so fingers crossed that is ok. I then have medical... I think I am ok... two arms two legs... and brain sometimes works.

I am thinking about what happens if I am successful, what stream would be the best to push for.

To date I understand that Aerodrome Controllers can do Area, but Area can not do Aerodrome... Have I got this right?

Also how difficult would it be to swap... while I am young and energetic, moving around the country from airfield to airfield is not much of a problem... but as I grow older and want to turn grumpy and sit in one place Area would suit better... (even better Area with a Broadband link to the office from home... you can shop on-line in your underwear, why not control planes too!)

Anyway, back to the point and joking aside, any ideas on the best "stream" to head for maximum flexibility?

Thanks...

5milesbaby
16th Feb 2005, 23:30
I'm guessing that its NATS that you have applied for.

In NATS you will be either an Aerodrome, Approach or Area controller. The only exceptions are that some airfields ie. Cardiff you can still do both Approach and Aerodrome. No-one that does Area can do Approach or Aerodrome (or at least will not be able to when Manchester relocates and don't think anyone does anyhow).

Moving within NATS is quite limited so deciding your stream before you begin will be useful, however please be aware that sometimes you will not get any choice of which discipline you will follow - NATS will place you themselves. Even if you do get asked your preference, it also may not be honoured. Also, what ever path you end up going down, your choice of unit may be limited. ie Wanting Area at Manchester but all the course ends up split between TC and Swanwick has happenned.

My advice is that any way you go will be fun. I'm Area and love it, however you will find on here many Approach/Tower controllers that love their element equally as much. The best way to decide is to visit a couple of each and decide from what you see which you'd prefer.

Well done so far and good luck with the interview,
5mb

:ok:

Evil J
17th Feb 2005, 14:34
And just because you go Aerodrome and they can move you doesn't mean they will, even if you want to!!

foghorn
18th Feb 2005, 10:05
Quick question - when Manchester ACC relocates will it take approach with it a la LTCC?

Spiney Norman
18th Feb 2005, 12:01
foghorn.
No we're not moving. Who knows in the future though. There actually haven't been any Area/Approach valid people for some years as the unit was split between Airfield and Area disciplines.

Spiney