PDA

View Full Version : Laser Z200

air18150
16th Feb 2005, 09:09
Hi,
Has anyone had the chance to fly one of these? I know they are proven to be a very capable aerobatic machine in the right hands, but would one make any sense for a low time junior aerobaticist ( planning 1st competitions this year) - and what are the landing view/speed + ground handling characteristics like compared to say a pitts s2a - on which I have a very modest ammount of time. Most of my non S + L flight has been in Yak52.

Many thanks...............air (1st post)

stiknruda
16th Feb 2005, 10:15
air - welcome!

Last year saw a new chap enter the BAeA competition scene, flying both beginners and standard sequences in a Lazer! David did very well.

The aircraft is easier to land than a Pitts as the vis is greatly improved and because it has a longer couple between the main wheels and the tailwheel it tends to track straighter.

Hopefully fellow Ppruner djpil will add some more wisdom as he probably knows more than anyone about Lazers!

Stik

yakman52
21st Feb 2005, 15:29
Deja vu....I used to fly a Yak 52 and now fly a Laser!

Ground handling is at the easy end of the taildragger spectrum (although I never made it look that way!) and certainly easier than the Pitts.

The Laser does everything faster and more easily than the Yak 52 so aeros are a real joy. All the performance is a mixed blessing....some of the figures are easier but the powerful controls will exagerate any mistakes you make...and if you fly beginners/standard on anything like full power you will finish the sequence in the stratosphere so rein in your throttle hand if you want to keep the sequence anywhere near the judges!

I was flying Intermediate when I started flying the Laser but Steve Todd (Barton pilot) won the Tiger Trophy at Standard level in a Laser.

I would say Mark Jeffries is the font of all Laser knowledge in the UK. Hundreds of hours and medals at Intl Advanced and UK Unlimited.

Call him at Yak UK and ask him about it.

ritter_acro
15th Oct 2005, 13:45
Hello folks!
I am building a Laser 200 in Brazil, and I am looking for some pictures of the construction. (details wing and fuselage).
Could anybody help me?
Thanks!
:ok: :ok: :ok:

splatt
15th Oct 2005, 17:38
ritter_acro,

I purchased plans for the Laser Z200 from Devin York last year and since then have been researching as much as I can about it.

I have collected a LOT of pictures from the internet and in particular some pictures of the construction of one which I thought about buying! I still have them on my harddrive and will send you the lot if you can provide me with your email address.

splatt :)

djpil
16th Oct 2005, 08:01
air18150 & ritter_acro - here's a place to start. (http://www.ozaeros.com/laser/index.html)

ritter_acro
16th Oct 2005, 13:10
Thanks Splatt !
I purchased plans from Devin York too.
Did you already begin to build the airplane? If possible, we could change information about the construction.

Zulu Alpha
17th Oct 2005, 10:14
I purchased a Laser 18 months ago. It is a delight to fly, as others have said, it is very easy to land even in a stiff crosswind. Aerobatics are a delight. I have flown a Pitts S2B and the Laser is much easier.

I have all the construction photos of mine so pm me and I'll email a selection to you (they are each 1+M so say if you need smaller low res versions).

I think it has to be one of the most capable aerobatic aircraft for its size. using a 200hp AEIO360 it uses 40litres per hour and cruises at 140kts. +6G & -3G in the UK. It can be competitive right up to Advanced.

The cockpit is compact. I am 6 ft and cannot use a cushion otherwise my head touches the canopy despite my canopy having a raised top. If you are more than 6 ft and/or 200lbs then go and sit in one first. If you're in East Anglia then let me know and you can take a look at mine.

The most difficult issue in construction is getting the wood needed for the main spar. This is 24 ft long and the builder of my aircraft said it was almost impossible to get the correct size of wood with the required characteristics. So start with the spar.

The other alternative is the One design.

I'll risk being shot down by Pitts owners and say that monoplanes are winning more and more.
This year the British aerobatic champions were all in monoplanes
Standard was won by a Laser
Intermediate was won by a One Design
Advanced was won by an Extra
Unlimited would probably have been won by a CAP232 but they were grounded and the competition postponed.

Hope this helps

Oh by the way Mark Jefferies Laser is for sale. Take a look at his website for details.

splatt
17th Oct 2005, 10:58
Congratulations Zulu Alpha!

I've just read the news in the November Flyer magazine. Very well done indeed! :)

I would be really grateful if you would provide me with full resolution copies of the construction photographs of your laser. My email address has been PM'd to you.

Regards,
splatt

Zulu Alpha
17th Oct 2005, 16:58
Splatt,

Many thanks! Have not seen Flyer yet but will keep a look out.

The photos are on the home computer so I will email them later. Also I have articles about Lasers, flight tests and an article about how they solved the flutter problem on the Stephens Acro (which evolved into the Laser). I will send everything unless you tell me not to.

Where are you based. My Laser will be having its annual at the end of November, I am fairly close to Old Buckenham in Norfolk. You are welcome to take a look at it with the panels/cowls etc removed.

ritter_acro
17th Oct 2005, 22:58
Hello Zulu Alpha!
You can help myself a lot in the construction of my "Laser" sending me pictures and if possible the articles.
If you already sent the picture for Splatt, no problem, I sent an E-mail requesting the same ones.
I know little of the airplane and it didn't imagine so compact cockpit, it was very good your comment, because I am little smaller than you.
I will be equipping with the AIO-360-A1A the same of Pitts S2A but with 230HP.
If possible keep me updated

Congratulations

I will sent MP with my E-mail

Zulu Alpha
18th Oct 2005, 07:49
I've sent 6 emails with loads of photos and articles.

Let me know if you have any other questions or need photos of any specific bit. I have dozens more!!

Good luck with your construction

One further point is to look at the shape of my canopy which was designed to give an extra inch or so compared with the standard one. I think it also improves the look of the aircraft. It does mean that a six footer can do negative manouvers wearing a helmet without hitting the canopy.

There are many other photos on the BAeA website and the photos section of the Pilot website.

ritter_acro
18th Oct 2005, 23:35
Thanks Zulu Alfa!
I received the pics and article.
Maybe in the future I will need more pictures, but I will ask for specifies picture

I had already looked in the BAeA website and coincidentally I have a picture of "LAZA" in my desktop

Nice acro flights