PDA

View Full Version : Redundancy

welshwizard
16th Feb 2005, 07:19
140 Army Officers received redundancy notices at the beginning of Feb, yet Labour says we are 200 Officers short across all 3 Services. The Conservatives put the figure at 750.
When are the RAF and RN going to start receiving redundancy notices I wonder?
What would make a viable redundancy package to you?

hyd3failure
16th Feb 2005, 08:08
There are currently no plans for any redundancy measures with RN Aircrew. In fact we are paying our guys to stay in with an attractive FRI package.
We also learnt our lessons from the redunancy measures we made in the late 90's. Don't think we'll make that mistake again. BUT there again we probably will.

However, what has always puzzled me is why we don't cross pollinate the services. If we are to be as "purple" as our lords and masters wish then why shy away from having "purple" aircrew.

It seems daft that the AAC and RAF are sending out redundancy notices, no doubt with substantial redundancy packages and in the same breath the RN are PAYING their guys to stay in with the FRI. What a waste on money. Why not take a few Chinook, Puma, Seaking, Merlin aircrew and send them to the RN for a couple of years? It might not solve the problem BUT it would save some money whilst the appointers try to solve the problem.

toplad_22
16th Feb 2005, 08:12
Once again H3F is the font of all knowledge, you're not 1SL are you?

hyd3failure
16th Feb 2005, 08:13
Nope but I will be

Duncan Bucket
16th Feb 2005, 08:17
You get my vote.............:ok:

Biggus
16th Feb 2005, 08:23
hyd3failure

Surely the RN 'identified' it's lessons from the redundancy measures in the late 90's!!

FORMER PIONEER
16th Feb 2005, 08:24
H3F,

........Must resist...........obvious opportunity............cheap shot.......aaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhh......:ugh:

toplad_22
16th Feb 2005, 08:33
H3F
You must be 2SL then, if so thanks for PFS

welshwizard
16th Feb 2005, 08:54
H3F made a very interesting point regarding the' purple concept'. Canada tried the same in the early nineties and it failed !!!

Can we afford to streamline our already stretched forces further. Lets maintain mastery of individual skills and not develop a Force consisting of 'jack of all trades'.

hyd3failure
16th Feb 2005, 11:08
The Canada thing failed because they tried to combine the whole thing. Im just suggesting that it seems daft making aircrew redundant when we are desperate...

One arm of the AF's is paying people money because they are no longer required....and another is paying people to stay in cos we can't afford to lose them.....How daft is that !

Now its nice for you all to have a dig at me and call me names...BUT am I really the only one who thinks this is silly?

In the 90's we leant our lessons and now we merely identify them.

welshwizard
16th Feb 2005, 11:19
I agree with H3F. It is senseless to offer FRI packages to one group and yet serve redundancy notices to another.
I would be interested to know what our light blue bretheren think.

althenick
16th Feb 2005, 11:50
" seems daft that the AAC and RAF are sending out redundancy notices, no doubt with substantial redundancy packages and in the same breath the RN are PAYING their guys to stay in with the FRI. What a waste on money. Why not take a few Chinook, Puma, Seaking, Merlin aircrew and send them to the RN for a couple of years? It might not solve the problem BUT it would save some money whilst the appointers try to solve the problem."

H3F has a point. I can only see one problem in that you could end up having Non-Comm Army aircrew flying RAF/FAA Aircraft which are flown by commissioned officers. Surely it's now time to a/ introduce Non-Comm Aircrew into (at least) The RAF/FAA Rotary communities and b/ For the three services to get there heads together and make personell interservice transfer much easer at all ranks?

Lee Jung
16th Feb 2005, 12:00
It seems to make perfect sense to me. Apparently the RN as a whole is underborne with Lts and has too many 2 & a Halfs. So fill the gaps.

It is not unprecedented, in the late 90s the Junglie community has 4 Aussies flying with us as their Squirrel programme had collapsed and they were consequently overborne.

I think there may be a problem for budgets. Already the RN has factored in the savings created by gapping. Thus we no longer have the money to fill all the gaps*! I imagine there would be some interesting TLB to TLB chats as to how the RN might fund RAF aircrew when they have no money to do so.

*Before I'm challenged on the source of the budgetary comments, it is legit.

Mad_Mark
16th Feb 2005, 12:12
Why not take a few Chinook, Puma, Seaking, Merlin aircrew and send them to the RN for a couple of years?

Because if that is what those guys wanted to do they would have joined the RN in the first place :rolleyes: However, they should at least be offered the choice.

MadMark!!! :mad:

FORMER PIONEER
16th Feb 2005, 12:33
I think, if you look at the details of the withdrawal of FRI's from the crabs, it applies to everyone except FJ Pilot/Navs and RW Pilots. Hence anyone who might be useful to the FAA is being actively kept in the junior service. I guess you could take a fun-bus, kipper fleet or tanker pilot, but then you'd have to put him through ACP/OCP, hence with the same associated risks and costing as much in training as a nozzer off the street - who the RN will get more years of service from?

Hydraulic Palm Tree
16th Feb 2005, 21:16
Posted 13 Dec 04....

If the RN and AAC are so short of pilots then why don't the drafters/posters do a bit of cross-service chatting to fill the slots. Why should an AAC/RN helo pilot get the FRI when RAF helo pilots do not. We all work for the same JOINT Helicopter Command don't we???

If the RN are still getting FRI when I should get mine as a Crab helo pilot (and won't because it has been withdrawn), I will throw my teddies out of the cot - I have always wanted to fly the besat that is the 'King' after all and do all of that operational flying that I have missed out on in my time in the SH Farce!!!

HPT

HOODED
16th Feb 2005, 22:05
What about RN pilots flying GR7/9 getting FRI and RAF pilots not, seems they're doing exactly the same job these days. :ok:

Always_broken_in_wilts
16th Feb 2005, 22:15
H3F:rolleyes:

Classic research old chap..............

We don't have enough of those you mention as it is......and of the few we have why on earth would any of them want a life on the ocean wave or a job as a taxi driver:E

Much better off where they are:ok:

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

hyd3failure
17th Feb 2005, 11:01
We don't have enough of those you mention as it is So why make them redundant....and if they are not being made redundant then who is being made redundant and whats this thread about...someone is being made redundant and unless its Tornado navigators then we are short of them in the RN. Come to think of it, we'll take the Navs as well....

Much better off where they are What? Out of work and on the Dole? Yeah ok.:{

Hyd Palm tree.... Yep, the RN are still getting the FRI and will continue to do so until someone starts recruiting. At the moment there is a very real; need to retain our guys and gals and to avoid losing them to the airlines (or any where else FTM) and as long as there is a need to retain them then they will get the FRI.

S'funny that we have been utilising the FRI for about 4 years now and the problem is still here...!!!!

BootFlap
17th Feb 2005, 11:14
hyd3 mate

it's very simple. There are no aircrew in the RAF being made redundant! Granted, the FRI 1 is being withdrawn for the RAF (boo hiss) which bites when you are on a Joint Force that is made up of RN pilots (getting FRI 1) and RAF pilots (not getting FRI 1). I therefore refer you to your earlier comment:

So why make them redundant....and if they are not being made redundant then who is being made redundant and whats this thread about...

No aircrew being made redundant, therefore no one to fill RN slots (so to speak), therefore this is a mostly irrelevant thread. Unless you want to recruit some of our engineers?

Bootflap

Mad_Mark
17th Feb 2005, 11:51
S'funny that we have been utilising the FRI for about 4 years now and the problem is still here...!!!!

That's because not many fancy joining the shirt-lifting botty-bandits in the RN :D

Duck and cover :E

MadMark!!! :mad:

Tourist
17th Feb 2005, 12:13
Mad Mark, just want to make sure I understand you correctly.
Correct me if I am mistaken, but I get the impression that you believe the RAF to be the home of masculinity in the British armed forces, and that these manly men of the RAF would not wish to lower themselves be joining the rather camper RN.

If this is the case, I wish to refer the honourable gentlemamm to the current British Military Ladyboy League Table.

RAF -- 2
RN -- 0 (Royal wearing ladies clothes doesn't count!)
Army -- 0

:ok:

Always_broken_in_wilts
17th Feb 2005, 15:19
H3F...........you silly boy:rolleyes:

Take a deep breath....go to the top of page one and read each post through.............now do you understand why I typed "We don't have enough of those you mention as it is".........twit:rolleyes:

Having spoken to more than few Harrier and Wokka mates about their life on the ocean wave, to include hot bunks and all the other strange navel niff naff I doubt very much if you would have many clambering to take up your "offer":p

Tourist I think we have more than 2 however if we were to tot up who had how many in the "up hill gardening" category I am sure you "semen" would win hands down.............afterall it's part of your great tradition, something you lot take great pleasure in telling us Crab's we have not had enough time to gain:E

all spelling misatkes are "df" alcohol induced

Tourist
17th Feb 2005, 15:49
ABIW,

I'll happily admit that you seem to be (suspiciously) better informed about the true extent of the RAF transgender revolution.

Re your Harrier and Wokka mates. They were lying through their teeth about hot bunking!
All Crabs at sea pull the "I must have a single cabin, or at most a double or I...

1. won't get my crew duty big girls blouse jessie sleep requirement thingy, cause my mummy said so.

2. will miss my beauty sleep that, lets face it, being a crab I will need if I have any chance at trapping in the next port if in the company of the RN.

Its us poor guys who then share the 12 man grots!:yuk:

MAD Boom
17th Feb 2005, 16:01
Should've joined the Air Force then. Moaning sea dog.

Tourist
17th Feb 2005, 16:14
Naa, I'd look terrible in light blue. But then again so does everybody...............

Always_broken_in_wilts
17th Feb 2005, 16:16
Beat me to the punch Mad:ok:

Anyway tourist about these "uphill gardening" stats:E

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

Stan Bydike
17th Feb 2005, 16:18
Bootfllap,

Ref no RAF aircrew being made redundent, I suggest you re-read the quota signal

OKOC
17th Feb 2005, 16:22
i think "tourist" would be better off spelling his name "two wrist" and give himself a tug (type of ship) rather than constantly trying to wind us crew-duty geezers up, jealous git.

Tourist
17th Feb 2005, 16:35
Ocasionally I have been known to wear Flag Zulu, I must admit.
But then, you Crabs wouldn't know what that means would you.
I dont know, they let anyone join up nowadays....:(

MAD Boom
18th Feb 2005, 18:12
And you're a prime example of that.

L1A2 discharged
18th Feb 2005, 19:37
so theres no shortage of AAC tech types .... which is why the trawl for 'volunteers' to go to whatashame and work on the pizza cabs is currently running. Expecting the similar trawl for the mean and nasty apache worker bees soon. :uhoh:

why was CAS surprised that the redundancy was so far oversubscribed??

Biggus
21st Feb 2005, 16:47
CAS was surprised because he has no idea what life and morale is like at the 'work face' these days! But then why would he!! There are several layers of "yes" men between him and the real world, whose sole purpose is to ensure that he doesn't receive any bad news!!