PDA

View Full Version : Route for Bembridge

Rupert S
15th Feb 2005, 15:31
Hello,
I was thinking of flying to Bembridge from Elstree tomorrow. The route I have planned is Elstree - Stokenchurch - WOD(NDB) - MID(VOR this leg takes me over the top of §D131) - GWC(VOR) - Bembridge.

Am I likely to get cooperation from Farnborough, the route takes me through their overhead, or should I route around the MATZ?

Thanks
Rupert

Zlin526
15th Feb 2005, 15:35
Why not draw the most direct route avoiding CAS on yer chart, then navigate using traditional methods???

Go direct, save money:ok:

Rupert S
15th Feb 2005, 15:37
Zlin, take a look at your half mil chart and the route I suggested. I don't think you can do too much better than that. Far too many areas of CAS and danger areas in the south east.

Flyin'Dutch'
15th Feb 2005, 15:54
Rupe,

Defected from the other place? Must have missed something.

FD

Capt. Vilo
15th Feb 2005, 15:55
Been on the route a few times from Elstree to isle-of-white, the way I go is Elstree to overhead Wycombe then a direct track to Portsmouth then direct Bembridge.On the way talking to Elstree, Wycombe, Farnborough radar then Bembridge.
Have a good trip and dont forget to try the food at the Crab and Lobster pub !!!!!!!!!!!!!

pilotwolf
15th Feb 2005, 16:13
...and dont forget to try the food at the Crab and Lobster pub !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd most heartily agree with that!

PW

Rupert S
15th Feb 2005, 16:14
Thanks Capt. Vilo... the Crab & Lobster was the point of the visit!

pulse1
15th Feb 2005, 16:19
Check that the C & L is open before you go. I was in Bembridge last week and there was a notice saying that soemthing like that was closed. Sorry I didn't take a lot of notice so it could have been some other eating place. Worth a phonecall to Bembridge first though.

Genghis the Engineer
15th Feb 2005, 16:32
The Propeller Inn, next to the airfield closes for prolonged periods from time to time, the C&L is usually a safer bet. But, does no harm to check.

Best seafood platter on the planet in my humble opinion.

G

Flik Roll
15th Feb 2005, 16:33
Bembridge is a great little airfield...just watch the runway slope and trees if you are landing to the S. They do straight in's as well without any qualms.

Fly Stimulator
15th Feb 2005, 16:45
Am I likely to get cooperation from Farnborough, the route takes me through their overhead, or should I route around the MATZ?

They're very good at any time, but on a mid-February weekday the airwaves are unlikely to be crowded and you should have an excellent service from them.

If you want an even more direct route which is a little different then give Heathrow a call on 125.62 and see if you can get a special VFR transit via BUR and Ascott. You shouldn't have too much competition for that tomorrow either.

Pianorak
15th Feb 2005, 18:29
As you are not a wimp I won’t recommend the route I fly: Farnborough (never any problem), Haslemere, across to Petersfield and zooming down the motorway. Loads of landmarks. Whichever route you fly: Enjoy! :ok:

Aim Far
15th Feb 2005, 20:44
Pulse 1

The notice for the closed restaurant was definitely for the Propeller Inn - closed till further notice.

pilotwolf
15th Feb 2005, 22:16
Crab and Lobster is definately open! It's my local and have just left the rest of the local lifeboat crew heading up there!However it is changing owners soon...

PW

Edited to add...

Guess it's a bit late now but the Propeller Inn is now open.

PW

Rupert S
17th Feb 2005, 08:22
Thanks for all your help. In the end I routed Elstree - Wycombe - GWC - Bembridge.
Bloody fantastic day out too.
Goodwood looked so inviting from the air that I had to make an unscheduled stop there for my first (and may I say excellent) landing on grass.