PDA

View Full Version : things to do before setting out to get a ppl

me_chambers
13th Feb 2005, 19:42
does anyone know the exact requirements for naples air center. all i want to do is my ppl. ive looked on there website but it doesnt seem that clear. also whats the best one to do a faa, or jar ppl license

Ninety-Nines
13th Feb 2005, 19:55
Depending on what line you are taking for your training ie is this for pleasure or are you looking to complete a Professional course eventually.

If you are looking to complete your PPL and take a break living in a JAA member state then complete the JAA PPL. If you are looking to complete a full Professional programme all the way through in the US then NAC complete the FAA PPL as this is cheaper and allows you to start accumulating P1 immediately.

At the end of the day all you need is an ICAO PPL to enter the JAA ATPL exams and will end up with a JAA CPL whether you start with a JAA or FAA PPL.

For either PPL you can look at the following:

naples-air-center.com/jaa_ppl_with_accom (http://naples-air-center.com/jaa_ppl_with_accom.htm)

http://naples-air-center.com/faa_course.htm

Please pm me for more info or email direct from the web site.

Nikki

me_chambers
13th Feb 2005, 20:37
I am looking at going to naples over the summer

it says i should study Aviation Law, Human Factors and Radiotelephony written tests prior to arrival do you know of any books that would be useful on this topic

How much study did anyone else do prior to attending naples.

I am in a bit of a rush, left it a bit late so if any one could give me some advice it would be most appreciate, i.e. any books i should get, where should i look etc.

quifflegend
13th Feb 2005, 21:00
To be honest mate, think you need to speak to someone ragarding what the ppl actually entails. Don't be tempted to rush things and spend your money without researching it. Basically you need to buy the AFE Study material that accompanies the course. There is a collection of books, each one covering a section of the ppl, such as air law, human factors etc. I think the pack is around £220 to buy and should include a flight computer, aeronautical chart and all the relevant reading material. So just buy one of these and start studying. The confuser that comes with it contains all the questions that the Caa can ask you in the exams. So you can monitor your progress by testing yourself with these. Any other questions just give me a shout. Although, i only got my ppl last year so i don't actually know that much, haha.

simkin
13th Feb 2005, 21:18
MC,

There are two sets of books that are most commonly recommended for the PPL, they are the Trevor Thom series and Jeremy Pratt (AFE) series.

Opinions as to which is better are split. I think either will do the job if you put the time in. I personally chose the Pratt series, you can get them from www.amazon.co.uk cheaper than elsewhere with free delivery. There's always PPL stuff on ebay if you don't want to pay top dollar.

The PPL confuser book is great for testing yourself, but not to learn from!

Hard to say how much time you will have to put in, or how quickly you can complete the exams, but it is possible to do an exam a week without too much stress. It all depends on how quickly you learn the material. If you have intentions to continue on and sit the ATPLs then PPL study should provide a sound foundation for them.

There are also various computer based PPL learning aids as well as audio tapes, RT CDs etc. The oxford PPL CD set is around the £300 mark, which may or may not be worth it depending on whether you prefer learning from a PC screen with graphics and animations, and if your budget extends that far.

All the best,

Simkin

me_chambers
14th Feb 2005, 07:27
ok i want to go and do my ppl in the states. I've looked at the various schools in the USA.

Can someone let me know of the things i need to do before i go

i am aware i need to get the neccessary medicals, visas and study the neccessary material. Is there anything else i need to do before i embark on this challenge

Jodiekeyz
14th Feb 2005, 07:37
If you are going to EFT then you need a mullet!

:ok: :D :E

flaps now
14th Feb 2005, 07:43
Not really fella. Just hit the books a little. Learning to fly in America is very enjoyable. Even more so if you can go out and relax in the evening without worrying about the next days exam. Try get a few done before you go if you can. I wished I'd listened to the same advice that I'm giving you now..

Good luck :ok:

me_chambers
14th Feb 2005, 07:51
ok im wanting to go to the states to get my ppl over the summer and was wondering which months out of july, august, june would you recommend. Also which aircraft is the best to fly on?

Frank Furillo
14th Feb 2005, 11:05
Have you decided on a school yet? If you pick one of the schools that most people refer to on here (NAC, EFT to name two) you will find the school in question will help you with your visa process and explain exactly what it is you will need to obtain.

You have said that you want to get your fATPL, well you will need a Class One medical, your inital one has to be taken at Gatwick (if you want a CAA licence) this link will get you there, http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=527
It is best to get it now, rather than spend thousands on training only to find out you cannot get it.

Whats the best months???? No idea, most days in Florida are fine, watch out for hurricane season, so now's a good time. I went Oct to Dec 2003 most days were great, I am goiing back next month for my CPl/ME etc.

For which is the best aeroplane to fly...... well that s the most asked question, I have 160 Hours on Cessna 172's and 150's love them. I also have 10 hours on Piper Warriors and Cherokee's which I don't like as much. I would not worry about which is best at the moment you will love it all the same.

If you are hour building in the states, as I did, you might want to think about taking your FAA PPL/NR (it comes with night rating as standard). You only have one exam to take, but quite a rugged oral as well. Once you reach 100 Hours total (if i remember rightly) you can do the JAA conversion this happens to be 2 theory exams (Air Law and Human Factors) and a Flight Test. This option does not include your Radio Exam, I did mine over there as well but it does give you a Night Rating on you JAA licence.

Speak to the school you are going with and they will point you in the right direction.
Above all have fun.
FF

cjhants
14th Feb 2005, 11:29
later in the summer florida gets regular afternoon thunderstorms (big ones which you will want to avoid at all costs). the school should plan the day about these storms which arrive nearly every day in july and august, between 3 and 6 pm.
so if you can only go in the summer, the earlier the better.
as for the study, as you have plenty of time, get the exams and your CAA medical done before you go, then you only have to worry about how to fly the aircraft, and you might get some free time to take in the local area and floridas great beaches.
if, like me you hate to study alone, it may be worth going to a 1 to 1 trainer, you will see ads in flyer, pilot etc. i can recommend david deacon at lynair. its not the cheapest way to pass ground exams, but in the whole cost of learning to fly its no big deal.

good luck !!

me_chambers
14th Feb 2005, 17:08
just wondering how much study you guys did before embarking on a jar ppl. I am hoping to go to naples in the summer if i can get all the study in. How long approx would you say is required before going to naples. Please note i am starting from scratch

Julian
15th Feb 2005, 11:29
I would ...

a) Go for a GA flight in the UK and see if you like it (seen people decide its not for them and bombed out of the course having wasted a lot of money!).

B) Do ALL the exams in the UK before you go to Naples. You dont want to be worrying about written tests, just concentrate on your flying.

Julian.

me_chambers
15th Feb 2005, 12:57
What books would you recommend that i purchase before undertaking the 7 jaa ppl exams

Fly Stimulator
15th Feb 2005, 13:17
BRL,

Time to shut this p**s-take down perhaps?

me_chambers
15th Feb 2005, 16:10
hi i want to do my jaa exams before i go out to the states. Does anyone know where i can do them in the north west area and how long in advance approximately i need to book them.

Droopystop
15th Feb 2005, 17:22
Go and buy yourself a copy of Flyer or Pilot Magazine and look for a flying school in your part of the world. Then go and speak to them. They will be able to sell you the right book, get some ground school and do the exams. They will charge you for the privilage, but it might make life easier for you.

For the record I did all the flying, all the exams and all the flight tests in about 4 -5 weeks. Many have done it quicker than that. Some of the air law, met, nav and principles of flight stuff is lot easier to pick up once you start flying. If you get the right instructor, you shouldn't need to do much, if any work before you start.

Frank Furillo
16th Feb 2005, 08:34
You know me chambers, you will only iritate a lot of posters here on the forums, if you keep asking what seems to be silly questions.
Most of us are trying to get our fATPL's as well, if you bother to use the search function you will find answers to most of your questions, or you could pop down to a local airfied and ask at any school, or you could even email NAC or the school you want to go to in the states and ask them.
FF

Flightline
16th Feb 2005, 12:45
Furillo....
You may know Me Chambers but have you thought that this might just be the place to ask all the questions which annoy you but, might be of use for others who may be, just dont know who to ask or how??

It also might just become a thread in which every conceivable question that can be asked has been asked and then can be found on the search function with ease with out interupting your precious time.

There is also another option... You don't have to read it do you!

Me C... If you want any advice re schools, examiners where to do the exams etc Pm me and I'll give you all the help that I can. I dont hold the negative view that others have displayed on here!

Happy Landings!