PDA

View Full Version : jar or faa ppl

me_chambers
13th Feb 2005, 19:39
ok i want to do my ppl in the states- naples flight school keeps coming up. i've looked at previous posts and was wondering how people rated schools in the usa, i.e. in your opion who would be no 1, 2, 3 in the usa

thanks

me_chambers
13th Feb 2005, 19:46
naples have two options available for a ppl. a faa and jar ppl whats the difference and which one would you recommend

me_chambers
14th Feb 2005, 20:33
just wondering how much study you guys did before embarking on a jar ppl. I am hoping to go to naples in the summer if i can get all the study in. How long approx would you say is required before going to naples. Please note i am starting from scratch

LondonJ
14th Feb 2005, 23:09
Me chambers didn't you just ask exactly this question in this thread 'things to do before setting out to get a ppl'?

AAY
14th Feb 2005, 23:13
Hi,

I completed my JAR ppl training there in Sept 01 just after the attacks and would never go back to them. They tried to rip me off so many times by overcharging my account for accommodation (which i had already paid for before my arrival) and my radio telephony test. I also called them two days after the 9/11 attacks to confirm if there still was VFR flying allowed, they assured me there was and upon my arrival i was quite pissed off to find there had been no VFR flying since the attacks and i had to wait another seven days before i could get airborne.

Of course this is only my experience. If you do go to them keep a very close eye on your accounts. Ensure after every flight you get a print out of your account status. Personally i just don't trust them.
To answer your question.....
JAR / JAA is European training. After passing the ground exams and flight test you'll be issued with a European licience where as FAA is American training and you'll be issued with an American licence. Europeans who do their training in the States usually do a JAR licence. If you are European i'd advise you to do JAR training. There are so many training schools in Florida who offer JAR/FAA training.
Why not check out www.flyeft.com
They are JAA/FAA FTO (Flight training organisation) located in Fort Pierce, Florida, you'll find it difficult to read a bad comment on pprune about them. Im starting my CPL there next month.

Hope this has helped.

Good luck

VisaGeeza
15th Feb 2005, 05:34
AAY, you might want to check out that link for EFT:cool: :ok:

daniel78
15th Feb 2005, 08:25
amen to that brother AAY!
I too have had the "pleasure" of dealing with NAC.
I did my jaa groundschool with them last year, and already the first day they tried to rip me off.
They kind of "forgot" about the 500$ deposit that you had to pay to reserve a place on the course and wanted to charge it again.

As for the groundschool,see my previous posts if you are interested to see what I thought about it.

I think itīs time more of us less fortunate NAC "victims" got off our lazy asses and told our story about the place.Come on guys,you know who you are!

AAY
15th Feb 2005, 15:36
VisaGeeza,

Thanks for pointing that out. Its now rectified

Cheers:ok:

P.s Daniel78 see you at EFT next month.

VisaGeeza
15th Feb 2005, 21:46
Ok Daniel78, AAY and any other poster who launches assaults on named establishments, Would they care to go public with their allegations? I for one am tired of the constant bun fights and anonymous attacks on Florida Flight schools. Here's a novel idea, how about actually posting your real names with your alleged real experiences and lets see if NAC, OFT, IFTA or any other place that is at the receiving end of these regular assults cares to respond. Let's see if there is any truth in these anonymous assaults. There is a "sticky" at the top of this forum about Ormond Beach Aviation where posters are invited to reveal their real identities and OBA has actually responded. Lets see if anybody else has the courage of their convictions to substantiate their claims! Or are these attacks as I for one suspect made out of spite due to a personal disagreement or maybe dismissal?

daniel78
16th Feb 2005, 08:15
VisaGeeza!
Brother chill!
I thought I just went public with my allegations.Any other way I can do it?

Those are my real experiences, that is my real name,and 78 is the year I was born.Anything else?
And Nac know who I am,just ask their vice-president,ninety-nines

Now how about you brother?
First name Visa,last name Geeza?

AAY
16th Feb 2005, 11:33
VisaGeeza,

I think you and i both know that pprune is a website which allows each individual to voice their opinion and that is excatly what i just did. I quote from my previous post" this is only my experience" this is not to say that everybody had the same experience as i had.

Personally i just didn't like the way i was treated there, after giving them thousands of dollars. I think if you were also parting with large sums of money and then to find the company was trying to rip you off , you wouldn't be too pleased either.
What Daniel78 wrote in his first post, that is excatly what they tried to do with me, maybe is this a common "admin error" with NAC.

VisaGeeza im not here to argue, someone asked for my experience and i gave it.
Thats it:ok:

VisaGeeza
16th Feb 2005, 17:02
The problem is that anonymous allegations bear no weight at all, it is entirely cowardly in my view to make allegations from behind the cloak of anonymity. There are two sides to pretty much every story so lets identify both of the players and give the other side the option of responding! That is of course if there is any substance in the complaint in the first place and it's my guess that there isn't in 90% of cases.

daniel78
16th Feb 2005, 17:23
VisaGeeza
So I am still anonymous am I?
You ever been to Nac?

AAY
16th Feb 2005, 18:19
VisaGeeza,

It won't be too difficult for NAC to establish who i am as i was the only Irish national there from mid Sept to mid Oct 2001. If by any chance you were or are an employee there, you'll know who i am.

If an FTO treat their students FAIRLY then positive feedback will be advertised,(as i have done in previous posts) if not, they will be named and shamed.

Im finished with this topic.
:ok:

VisaGeeza
16th Feb 2005, 19:54
So, if you have a genuine gripe, why not post something like "I'm John Smith and Jones Air Centre gave me an aircraft with no nose wheel in January" or whatever your gripe is and then let Jones Air Centre give a reply? - You know who you are, Jones Air centre knows who you probably are but nevertheless cant say for instance yes Mr Smith, you got an aircraft with no wheel because you broke it the previous day! or, no John Smith has ever flown here!

All I am saying is that anonymous or even semi anonymous swipes at flying schools are both unfair and do not carry the weight that they would if the poster was up front about their gripe. What is ther to be afraid of? if you have a genuine gripe, sign your name to it - it will have substance then!

hollandPilot
17th Feb 2005, 19:24
To come back to the original question, I have recently done both my JAR and FAA PPL at Anglo American in San Diego. I have done first my FAA PPL, came back for a long holiday of flying, and passed the 100 hrs mark. After that I did my JAR PPL. For both I did not prepare much, the FAA PPL is a bit harder to get is my opinion. The oral exam with the examiner was reasonably hard to pass. Like always in the States, the thing you need to know are made very clear and hence you can prepare for that easily. The way forward was for me the books that you can buy with the multiple choise questions and practise standards. Following my FAA PPL and cross countries I did my JAR PPL. That was fairly easy, 3 written exams and a flight test. The writtens are nearly carbon copies of the PPL confuser. (make sure you have the latest edition with 4 answers per question) So learn those by hart and pass. However, it is of vital importance that you get a good general knowledge so spend some time watching videos and reading up in books.

HollandPilot