PDA

View Full Version : Happy?

smellysnelly2004
12th Feb 2005, 21:41
Hi,

I've been reading this forum constantly for the past few weeks as I have an interview soon and have noticed two distinct themes.

When ATCO's are asked if they like their job there is an overwhelming sense that everybody enjoys controlling and are rightly proud of it.

However, the general tone of a a large majority of posts seem fairly bitter towards NATS and a lot of it's procedures. Most notably training at LACC seems to be thorny issue.

I have my heart set on getting this job but was wandering what you guys have to say about whether the postives outweigh the negatives??!?

Ryan
Xx

Jerricho
12th Feb 2005, 21:54
Very, very happy. :ok:

chiglet
12th Feb 2005, 22:14
I'm an ATSA, due to retire in 8 months..:{ Have applied for an extension [of service] :ok:
Nuff sed
watp,iktch

ILS 119.5
13th Feb 2005, 00:46
Controlling is great, flying is great but unfortunately the inept management surrounding it is crap, as you will find out!

2 sheds
13th Feb 2005, 06:50
Civil ATC in the UK developed immediately after WW2 and inherited the best and worst of the Armed Forces and Civil Service, both huge organisations within which idiots can hide for years and just get "promoted out of it". Inevitably, the "State" ATC provider, now NATS, displayed - and continues to display - the very worst aspects of this phenomenon, much inept (as well as some competent) management, but more importantly an extensive top-heavy management structure which results in inefficiency (to put it politely). Other ("non-State") providers, particularly individual aerodromes, are, in the main, far superior in this respect, though no doubt I shall be corrected!

PS Is it not about time that we had a positive term for non-NATS units - suitable acronym anyone?

DirtyPierre
13th Feb 2005, 07:07
Outrageously Happy!

much inept (as well as some competent) management, but more importantly an extensive top-heavy management structure which results in inefficiency (to put it politely).

Seems about the same in Oz.

Don't know if non-government suppliers of ATC are any more competent. I think the "Peter Principle" works in any organisation. My wife worked for 20 years in the private sector (mainly IT) and the stories about the incompetents would make you blanch.

Management is management. Some are good, some think they're good, and some act as if they're god.

Spitoon
13th Feb 2005, 09:53
Agree completely with what's been said. The job is great but the management is often abysmal. I've worked at several units outside NATS - when you have a unit with a good boss and management structure it's a pleasure to go into work. Poor boss and management and I'll be looking at the job adverts. Sadly it's a bit of a lottery - you can ask around and see which units get good rep from the people who work there but even if you're at a good unit you can find the boss retires and everything goes to pieces - sometimes surprisingly quickly!

Jerricho
13th Feb 2005, 15:26
and some act as if they're god.

When everybody knows Plazbot is :E

AyrTC
13th Feb 2005, 18:51
2 Sheds how about

TUFKANN

The Units Formerly Known As Non Nats

AyrTC

Or for our older readers

TUFKANS

...................Non State :p

DirtyPierre
17th Feb 2005, 03:59
Hey Jerricho,

Plasbot isn't god, he's just a naughty boy!

Jerricho
17th Feb 2005, 14:38
In his mind he's god.