PDA

View Full Version : What's happening at EGKK this summer?

Cough
12th Feb 2005, 17:23
Our company has told us that we can expect to be trained on RNAV initial and final approach procedures because the LGW ILS will be frequently switched off this summer.

Question is, why is the ILS being turned off?

ratarsedagain
12th Feb 2005, 17:36
probably the initial ground work for the new runway I expect.

SilentHandover
12th Feb 2005, 19:06
Or it could be and is the fact that the ILS being replaced this summer. Bit tricky setting up the shiny new one without infringing the LSA's.

BOAC
13th Feb 2005, 07:47
Reckon it is to improve your visuals, Cough:D :D

jettesen
13th Feb 2005, 08:34
No new runway has been decided yet, so can't be that

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
13th Feb 2005, 08:39
Yonks ago at Heathrow there was an ATC Supervisor who was most keen for his controllers to practice their SRA skills. We, being lazy bu**ers were always "forgetting". He fixed this one morning as soon as we arrived on watch (7am) by ringing the tels department and had them turn off the ILS on both runways! We spent the rest of the morning doing SRAs in crappy weather!

I doubt that's the reason at Gatwick... but you never know!

SilentHandover
13th Feb 2005, 08:54
Can none of you read my previous post??????????

The ILS is being replaced/upgraded this summer hence we'll be without for periods of time!!!!!

SH

Gonzo
13th Feb 2005, 09:12
Hey guys, just had a splendid idea......maybe they're replacing the ILS?

:E

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
13th Feb 2005, 09:13
Wot - you mean they have ILS at Gatwick?

TheOddOne
13th Feb 2005, 09:29
SilentHandover

Don't be wound up by them! They're just jealous that they can't/didn't escape from Hounslow Municipal.

NATS mgmt. were also asked if we could work up the RNAV procedure for Northern Runway ops instead of the SRA, to improve the inbound flow rate. Appaerntly this could take some years. We've 120 nights of Northern Runway ops planned for sometime this summer, as well as the ILS replacement by day, so expect some really BAD weather!

Anybody know exactly where we are with the RNAV 'official' procedure for LGW?

Heathrow Director,
Some would say it all went downhill when Bunny Austin went. I couldn't possibly comment.

Cheers,
The Odd One

expedite_climb
13th Feb 2005, 09:33
Yes I believe they are replacing the ILS so it will be off for a while.

Oh and I believe there are about 100 nights of north runway operation.... should be fun !

SilentHandover
14th Feb 2005, 08:39
A quote from HD on his/her last day at LL approach 21st Nov 2002.

I'll keep an eye on Pprune and maybe make the odd comment. However, I think it should primarily be for current operational staff.

Makes you wonder what's changed:zzz:

I hope I stay as obsessed with my career 2 years after it has come to a finish.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
14th Feb 2005, 12:47
SilentH... Sorry to upset you. I'll keep out of the way in future..