PDA

View Full Version : how long does it take to complete a ppl

me_chambers
12th Feb 2005, 16:02
hi everyone sorry about all the qs

thought you could offer me an estimate of approximately how long you estimate it takes to complete a ppl both in the uk and usa

flighttime2.0
12th Feb 2005, 16:26
me-chambers

PPL in Florida 3 weeks ( well thats how long mine took anyway )

PPL in the UK about 5 years ( If the weather conditions are on par with Ireland )

My advise is to go to the states it's cheaper and quicker and to top it all off you get to soak up the sun ....flighttime

Flock1
12th Feb 2005, 17:05
I did my PPL in the UK. I though it would take me 6 weeks (in my summer hols - I'm a teacher) but took me around ten months. The reason: the good old British Weather! It scuppered 57% of my booked lessons.

Having said that, it did mean that I could fly in all sorts of different weather conditions. Flying over snow-filled fields is something quite spectacular. Just hope that your aircraft has a working heater though!

Flock1

simkin
12th Feb 2005, 17:36
me_chambers

As has been said, doing your PPL in the UK is definately going to take longer than in the USA, simply because the weather will be better in the States, if not, it will at least be more predictable.

I have started mine here in the UK but am making such slow progress due to weather that I am currently researching finishing it in Florida, I hope to be able to finish within 2-3 weeks of flying.

It is common and good advice to fly a few hours in the UK before going to the States, as well as doing some or all of the PPL exams before you leave.

Also budget for some flying hours when you get back, to get in to the UK swing of things, most notably RT and circuit procedure.

Good Luck!

Simkin

Blinkz
12th Feb 2005, 18:45
Like has been said the US will be quicker. But I don't think the UK is prohibitivly slow. I started my PPL at the beginning of October 2004 and I now have 39hrs TT and am just working towards the end of it, hopefully by the middle of March.

I decided to do my PPL in the UK because I would much rather learn to fly in the place where I am going to spend the majority of my time flying. I will be going out to the US to do my hour building and so will get to see what flying in the US is like compared ot the UK.

peterpann
12th Feb 2005, 21:49
Hi me_chambers

If your in lymm, warrington then your not too far away from where I have been learning to fly (liverpool). Anyway I finally got the guts to start down this long road of pilot training in May 2004 however because our summer lasts for 1 day and in winter we have no hours of light after 3.30, I had to cancel many of my lessons meaning I'm not where I hoped to be (only 33 hours).

With the hope of being a proffesional pilot at the end of all the training and stuff does anyone know if PLL in the states is looked down on by airline HR? Just wondering whether to finish my training in the states too?

Vee One...Rotate
12th Feb 2005, 22:23
As well as the weather, the amount of money you have to spend, whether it's a lump sum or you're paying as you go, is a BIG factor. I'm working full-time and so can currently only really budget for about 1 lesson per week...obviously the weather has something to say about that a lot of the time :(

I've heard tales of people doing a crash-course PPL in sunny Claifornia/Florida in a matter of weeks, only to come back to the UK and be thrown by the, generally, much crapper weather. It may be cheaper but I quite like the idea of having to put up with more adverse conditions (bit perverse of me maybe!) here in the UK, especially in my formative piloting period...! :ok:

Happy landings,

V1R

Frank Furillo
13th Feb 2005, 06:50
Hi there, I took my PPL/NR in the states and did hour building as well, came back here with 151 hours. The weather is nicer over there but I did get my fair share of severe cross winds and at times we had a few storms, onc made me hole up at Airglades Airport (Clewiston) for several hours. They do have bad weather in Florida, but not as often as us.
When I got home it took me two hours to get up to speed with UK airspace , flying out of Blackpool (which was a quieter airport than the one I had been using in Florida). I had no real problems with making the switch between the US and here.
FF