PDA

View Full Version : "Too Low Pull Up" or "Terrain" warnings

bealine
12th Feb 2005, 08:24
Just out of curiousity, I have a couple of aircraft on my Flight Sim that are supposedly as close to the real thing as possible. (Anyone else on this board admit to Flight Simming???)

On take off, until reaching a virtual altitude of about 2500 feet, the warnings keep on going "Too Low - Pull Up" "Terrain".

On a real aeroplane, is there a facility to silence these warnings for take off or on final approach???

speedbird_heavy
12th Feb 2005, 08:54
I think there is a switch to silence the GPWS untill it gets triggered again....

Sky Wave
12th Feb 2005, 08:56
The GPWS system should not give you a "Terrain" (GPWS Mode 2) warning unless you are closing on terrain at an excessive rate which you certainly shouldn't be after takeoff and you shouldn't have an excessive closure rate on landing. You really wouldn't want to silence the warning unless the system had failed.

Kalium Chloride
12th Feb 2005, 09:38
Mountains are pretty good at silencing GPWS.

bealine
12th Feb 2005, 14:25
Thanks. Sounds like I've got two very good aircraft but need to modify the GPWS settings.

Obviously, the "Terrain" warning when in ascent needs to be suppressed!

Kalium Chloride - Mountains usually do silence the GPWS. After all, I do qualify as a pilot for Von Trapp Airlines!

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/airbrakes/

Innsbruck Flying Club, Austria. Where our pilots are fearless and the passengers are well insured. Good radio procedure and a lack of self preservation are mandatory. Boldly landing where you'll never get airborne from.(Low Loader available for hire). After crashing 3 times a night on a regular basis, you will be fully qualified for a Pilots position at Von Trapp Airlines, an airline renowned for accelerating the development of robust undercarraige design and runway crater filling!

look you
15th Feb 2005, 16:39
Why do you need to suppress the terrain warning when climbing? Some mountains may climb more steeply than you are.

The most famous GPWS suppression technique was to say "shut up, Gringo". Also qualifying as most ironic last words, i believe.

I don't believe there is a "too low - pull up" warning" in gpws.

Do you mean 2500 Altitude, or height?

Can't you just switch it off for take off?

Why do you need to suppress the terrain warning when climbing? Some mountains may climb more steeply than you are.

The most famous GPWS suppression technique was to say "shut up, Gringo". Also qualifying as most ironic last words i believe.

FE Hoppy
19th Feb 2005, 17:26
GPWS or EGPWS the terrain could be from terrain clearance floor the pull up could be due to lots of things. too low- gear or too low flaps are mode 4 A and B you shouldn't get that on take off. You could get Dont Sink. or too low terrain.

try here (http://egpws.com)