PDA

View Full Version : Pfa V Bmaa

Rod1
11th Feb 2005, 13:55
It appears that there is a significant split between the PFA and the BMAA. Apparently the PFA have requested permission to support factory built microlights having told the BMAA this was not going to happen. As a result the BMAA are apparently considering taking on larger home built aircraft.

It will be intresting to see if this competition turns out to have a positive or negative impact on things.

Rod1

VP959
11th Feb 2005, 19:09
My guess is that it will do little to help overall light aviation support in the UK if these two bodies end up even more at loggerheads.

I've read the debacle on the PFA website and cannot quite believe that the PFA have acted as they have. I recall this very allegation, that the PFA were seeking to take responsibility for the BMAAs core activity, came up some time last year.

Didn't the PFA chief post something either here or on the Flyer forum that directly quashed this story? I seem to remember reading somewhere a strong denial from someone high up in the PFA that they were not going to seek to compete with the BMAA like this.

It does look on the face of it as if the PFA has committed something of a PR disaster, but then it does seem as if that is fairly normal behaviour for them.

I doubt it will make them many friends within the BMAA community though, particularly as they seem to be a dynamic, friendly and enthusiastic collection of aviators who strongly defend their hard won right to fly with minimal interference from other bodies.

ozplane
12th Feb 2005, 09:12
I just wish the two sides could get together and get a system which would allow some of the European VLA's to be brought into the UK as ready-builts. I'm too old to start building with my skill levels and in any case I would prefer a factory built uncertificated aircraft like they have in New Zealand. Come on guys pull together for the greater good

bar shaker
12th Feb 2005, 10:17
Ozplane

Following Newby's categoric denial (published in the BMAA magazine and various forums) of any intention to poach the BMAA's markets, the two organisations became more relaxed with each other and had recently announced that their respective Technical Offices would work together and would accept each others approvals (Genghis will correct me if I have this wrong).

It was seen as a good thing for all permit aircraft owners, <750kg or microlight.

All the while, Newby was sneaking around the CAA, putting together a deal that would starve the BMAA of its revenue stream and the PFA have now announced this. Does anyone have a copy of Newby's letter to hand?

In reply, the BMAA are holding a ballot on changing their constitution, so that they may also regulate all permit aircraft and meet the PFA head on.

One will triumph but it will be a slow death for the other and the losers will be the pilots who just want to go flying.

Resources (time and money) will be wasted, co-operation deals will go out of the window and staff will be uncertain of their futures.

The outcome will be interesting. Almost all 4200 BMAA members are aircraft owners and are very supportive of the BMAA Council and Technical Office. The same cannot be said for the PFA.

One thing is clear, all BMAA and PFA flying members that I have spoken to do not want this to happen.

BEagle
12th Feb 2005, 12:19
Why is there all this 'Peoples' Front of Judaea' vs 'Popular Judaean Peoples' Front' nonsense between these two organisations? What possible benefit can this be to any of their members?

Hopefully EASA will put an end to such stupidity?

Incidentally, for those who seem too stupid to have noticed the advent of the JAA:

There is NO SUCH THING as Group A any more!

Also, so-called PFA 'coaches' now have to be properly regulated under JAR-FCL as CRIs. But to train CRIs requires that an organization must hold FTO approval. The PFA is not listed as holding such approval, ipso facto, such 'coaches' (CRIs) may not be trained under the PFA's auspices, it would seem......

Mike Cross
12th Feb 2005, 12:31
Hopefully EASA will put an end to such stupidity? Since when have they had anything to do with it?

AFIK PFA and BMAA are both CAA approved organisations for the issue of Permits.

Pilotage
12th Feb 2005, 13:05
[QUOTE]had recently announced that their respective Technical Offices would work together and would accept each others approvals.QUOTE]

I have it on good authority that both engineering departments heard about this for the first time when they read the press releases - and couldn't see what the fuss was about since they were in the middle of organising a joint course on certification engineering at the time.

P

bar shaker
12th Feb 2005, 17:05
BEagle

Why is there all this 'Peoples' Front of Judaea' vs 'Popular Judaean Peoples' Front' nonsense between these two organisations? What possible benefit can this be to any of their members?

That's the widely held view, but the PFA CEO thinks differently.

Incidentally, for those who seem too stupid to have noticed the advent of the JAA:

There is NO SUCH THING as Group A any more!

Er... who mentioned Group A?

Genghis the Engineer
12th Feb 2005, 19:17
Oh it's just Beagle, he just has to have a rant about it occasionally because for some reason he doesn't like it as a convenient shorthand to describe fixed wing GA.

G

VP959
12th Feb 2005, 20:09
I don't like SEP either, so refuse to use it. These new fangled definitions will never catch on...............

Algirdas
13th Feb 2005, 22:10
For anyone interested , this topic is being bashed around on the yahoo microlight group. The issue seems to be that a lot of the newer craft can be supplied as either Group A (there I used it) or microlight, and rather than deal with PFA for one and BMAA for the other, prolly all suppliers would plan to use the PFA if they are the only org who can support cert on both - thereby depriving the BMAA of a big piece of its revenue stream. If the BMAA elects to seek support status for Group A as well, then it can protect its position in theory.
I am a BMAA member, and have nothing but praise for them (in common with the vast majority of members) - I am an ex-PFA member, dropped it because (with the notable exception of the engineering dept) they seemed more interested in shooting from the hip first before answering questions.
If there is any flaw in the reasoning above, I and other BMAAers would be delighted to hear it.
A