PDA

View Full Version : Training success rates

BadgerBadger
10th Feb 2005, 14:13
Hi people,

I have decided to leave a pretty decent career and take my place at the college which will hopefully start later this year. I was hoping you could enlighten me as to the sort of success rates there are for (i) getting through the college and (ii) validating at a unit. I guess this varies somewhat depending on which 'stream' you follow?

I'm under no illusions that training requires a great deal of ability, hard work and commitment, but I guess I'm just wondering what chance your average trainee has of getting validated as an ATCO having got on the course. Also, if someone was to get through the college, but not validate, is there still any future for them in NATS?

Many thanks for any info you can provide. This is my first post on this forum, but suffice to say, much of what I've read on these pages has helped me to decide that this is the career I want.

Standard Noise
10th Feb 2005, 15:14
My course, way back a dozen years ago or so, 48 started, 30 graduated and I think only 15 or 16 went on to validation in NATS.
I don't know about other courses, but here's the thing, what happened in the past doesn't matter. Just make the best of it, try not to be too miserable, have some fun in between the serious bits and when you retire, they'll give you your brain back again.:}

BTW, have you looked at www.badgerbadgerbadger.com
After 12 years in this game, even I'll laugh at it.

Maybe they are right, I am mad.

Vlad the Impaler
10th Feb 2005, 15:21
My course five years ago was about 32 I think, about 15 or 16 valid and still with nats, a few more doing other things with nats and about three valid out in the big wide world. I failed to validate at first unit but was given a chance elsewhere where I am valid and happy. It depends on how badly you fail, what your attitude was like and if they have a job for you.

ILS 119.5
10th Feb 2005, 18:11
I would say about 50 to 60% get all the way.

cdb
12th Feb 2005, 20:37
My course at NATS started with 14. Nine of us became NATS controllers! This is about normal. One is working at a non-NATS tower, one's an assistant at a NATS unit and the others have left ATC.

At the college, about 75% of people get through. Only a third of people get through to their unit without failing anything. Your chances depend on which discipline you're chosen for - almost everyone makes it through tower and/or approach, but the area guys bin a much higher proportion of trainees.

Unit validation depends again. You could be at London City tower, and practically guaranteed a validation in four months. On the other hand, you could end up at LACC, with a 6-12 month wait to start unit training, at least another six months of SVC and live training, and then only a 50% pass rate for initial validation. Yep, about half fail to validate the first time and have to beg for another chance or to train in another discipline at the college.

Overall, you have about a two in three chance of becoming a controller. Since trainees no longer all do an aerodrome rating, you also don't have the option of getting another ATC job at a tower somewhere.

Like everyone else says, whichever way you go you really have to work at it. A lot, including evenings and weekends, and this carries on until you're valid (on several sectors at an area unit). Whatever the crusty old guys say though, you don't have to be a spotter. When I started, I could recognise two planes - a 747 and concorde. They'll teach you everything you need to know.

Good luck!

Jerricho
12th Feb 2005, 22:17
Just to echo Standard's comments, while success rates from previous courses get thrown around, you shouldn't really get too wrapped up the past. Get in there give it your best bash (and don't be afraid to ask questions. And admit if you don't know something. Some instructors have very good bullsh*t detectors)

BTW.......Standard, you're officially loco. Badgers :rolleyes: ;)

Standard Noise
12th Feb 2005, 23:04
Ha ha ha! Jerricho, if you thought the badgers were bad, try www.rathergood.com
from the menu click on 'northern' or 'morris dancers'. They make the badgers seem tame.:ok:

Ops and Mops
14th Feb 2005, 07:26
Vlad

I don't suppose you were a 113 Cse reprobate were you?! :)

BadgerBadger
15th Feb 2005, 07:56
Thanks guys, that's encouraging and I have to admit I had seen the badgers site! By the way, Vlad, were you training at the college between April '00 and Sept '01, because I was an assistant on the area sims upstairs during that time?