PDA

View Full Version : Formation Course - Finale

Andy_R
10th Feb 2005, 12:05
As promised, the final part of my latest adventure!!

As I drove through the fog and drizzle and joined the rush hour queues on the M25 my mind turned to mulling over how successful the day was going to be. After a break of six days how much would I remember? Would the ability to follow another aircraft so closely have evaporated as I wished this fog would?

As the fog cleared, so did my mind and my brain started to work through the various exercises we had covered the week before. Line up on one side of the runway, thumbs up to the other aircraft and then wind up the engine to 1500rpm. All in the green and nod over to the number 2 as the brakes are released and the throttle is gently advanced to full power and then retarded an inch to allow the number 2 to keep up. As we reach rotate speed, look over and give number 2 the nod and gently rotate keeping the Bulldog in line with the runway as we become airborne in unison………………….

http://2.srv.fotopages.com/2/4219584.jpg

…………..Ooer, unlike the silky smooth air last week, it was a little bumpy today! Aware of the other aircraft just feet away to my starboard, it took all my concentration to keep straight and at the required 80 knots climb speed. I relaxed my grip on the stick a little and we rode the bumps together, climbing into the grey sky.

At 500’ I gave the signal to raise flaps and as one they were retracted and we continued our climb through the turbulence.

To my wonderment, I had the spare capacity now to reduce the needle on the fuel flow to 6 ½ as we passed through 1500’ and easing back on the throttle we levelled out just below the 2000’ cloudbase. We cruised around the circuit at 95 knots, looking for a gap in the clouds in order that we could gain enough height so as not to be of annoyance to those living below us. Climbing again we turned to the west so that we didn’t end up too far east in the strong 45 knot westerly and found ourselves in between two broken layers at 3000’.

We remained as leader whilst number 2 was put through his paces. Boy, they were really stepping up the pace now. Turning at 40 degrees of bank whilst climbing and descending I watched James in the number 2 ship be pushed harder and harder, yet he clung on to our wingtip tenaciously. He soon disappeared from view and announced he was “onboard” behind us in line astern. More turns, becoming progressively steeper and in different attitudes, yet still he hang on. I was going to struggle if they put me through this!!

After practising emergency breaks and rejoins from both sides and whilst turning it was my turn to be put through the mill.

http://2.srv.fotopages.com/2/4219586.jpg

It was with a smile that I found myself joining up more swiftly than previously. Maybe I hadn’t forgotten too much. Of course, I had not taken into account that I would be correspondingly harder on myself too, so was soon telling myself to relax as I struggled to stay close whilst running wide on the outside of a turn or cursing as I let the lead pull away whilst in line astern.

I really enjoyed the emergency breaks last time so was horrified when I executed a messy break, a mixture of steep turn and maximum climb, but made up for it by doing a reasonably good rejoin in double quick time. We were in a different aircraft this time and it seemed to have a little more power which helped, but things were slowly falling into place. Another break and this time a turning rejoin to echelon port which went much better and for the first time I smiled, rather than maintaining a fixed deadly serious grimace!

All too soon we were back in the lead and Des (my instructor) took control and led James a merry dance about the sky. At one stage, whilst they were line astern we carried out a climbing turn and at the top let the nose drop away earthwards yet still we couldn’t spit him out from behind us.

http://2.srv.fotopages.com/2/4219589.jpg

As I took over as number 2 again we entered some thin cloud and all references were obscured. Without the distraction of ground, then sky I actually found it easier to maintain station, but we were warned afterwards to watch out for the leans if that occurs. It is a weird sensation when you come out of the cloud and suddenly find yourself in a situation where you have background references again and discover you are in fact in a 30 degree turn when you thought you were flying straight and level.

The lead really stepped up the pressure and I found myself struggling to keep up in places. I was closer than I had been last week and didn’t find myself getting left so far behind that we had to start again but it really was hard work. It was only later in the de-briefing that I found I had progressed to 35 to 40 degree turns whilst climbing and descending. At the time there is such a huge focus on maintaining position it is very easy to lose all situational awareness and to be totally unaware of which way is up. The whole time is spent focussed on the lead and making small inputs to throttle, elevator and ailerons. One day I hope I am able to have enough spare capacity to see the bigger picture – one reason why the job of lead aircraft is a very important one as he has to navigate and communicate whilst the number 2 (and 3 and so on) concentrate on staying in formation.

http://2.srv.fotopages.com/2/4219590.jpg

Suddenly our time was over and I was given the lead to recover and return to base.

With the strong wind we seemed to take forever to get back to Kemble, joining crosswind with a huge amount of drift on to compensate for the strong wind. Thank goodness it was almost down the runway! Doing the radio calls and downwind checks meant another step up the learning curve was being coped with. Having slowed the bulldog to under 100 knots I gave the flaps signal to number 2 and turned onto base as gently as possible in the now bumpy air on the approach to final. Base turn complete, we commenced a turning final whilst signalling to put down the other stage of flap and, other than getting lower than I would have liked, touched down on our half of the runway with barely a protest from the tyres – now why couldn’t I have landed like that when flyguy was at next to me? As the number 2 confirmed he had brakes we moved to his side of the runway and taxied back, a smile on my face as Des had said he was going to take over on final and hadn’t as he felt I was doing a good enough job; he remarked that I was obviously feeling comfortable with the plane and I am, more so than anything else I have flown. It seems to fit me like a comfortable jacket.

http://2.srv.fotopages.com/2/4219592.jpg

After a thorough de-brief we were then treated to stories from the Red Arrow days whilst we munched on sandwiches over a welcome cup of coffee.

So, apart from my certificate of completion, what did I gain from the experience?

1. That with my lowish hours, which have consisted mainly of cross country trips, I bit off a lot, but gained even more from being pushed hard. My skill levels have been hugely improved; both cognitive and motor skills.

2. An insight into how the RAF trains their pilots – it is clear from the start that these guys are true aviation professionals, disciplined in their approach and safe in their actions.

3. That formation flying is not to be undertaken lightly. Without proper instruction it is stupidly dangerous and is a sure fire way to have a mid-air collision. I genuinely believed that before undertaking this course, now I am convinced that it is so.

4. That formation flying (with #3 above taken into account) is immense fun, particularly if you enjoy being pushed and enjoy flying accurately.

5. Should I ever be unfortunate enough to find myself trapped above cloud and maybe even unsure of my position, I would be able to follow a lead aircraft back to safety, not that I would recommend getting yourself there in the first place.

6. How many PPL’s have flown with a Red Leader? Not many I would guess and the knowledge one gains from doing so is worth every bit of effort.

I would happily do more formation flying, both for the grin factor and to gain the experience. The learning curve is very steep; the transition from muppet to a basic skill level is astounding. The only problem is that as you become better you are correspondingly harder on yourself. What would have been superb in lesson 1 becomes nowhere near good enough by lesson 4 so your expectation level increases along with your skill level.

Fantastic experience that rates as one of the best yet.

http://2.srv.fotopages.com/2/4219593.jpg

stiknruda
10th Feb 2005, 12:32
Excellent write up Andy!

6. How many PPL’s have flown with a Red Leader?

Pitts 2112 and myself do on a fairly regular basis and we learn something new every time! Tailchasing is great fun but the concentration required is immense.

I envy you the visibility from the 'Dog as the top wing in the Pitts often puts you blind when tailchasing or closing from beneath.

Stik

mazzy1026
10th Feb 2005, 12:40
Cloud that is brilliant! Very well written and the pictures are very good. I saw two Bulldogs yesterday at around 1530 flying into Woodvale - we were doing prec landings about 7 NM SE of the airfield and they flew quite close, right above us. A very good sight.

Well done! :ok:

Maz

greeners
10th Feb 2005, 13:18
Super write-up Cloud, I feel that you've really captured the essence of the course and what people get out of it. A real pleasure to fly with you; I'm sure that we'll be seeing you again shortly!

Cheers ;)

greeners

Andy_R
10th Feb 2005, 18:48
Just one more - a piccie of line astern. This is the point the instructor is saying "C'mon closer, closer!!!"

http://2.srv.fotopages.com/2/4231679.jpg

simkin
10th Feb 2005, 21:36
Wow!!

Cloud, great writing and brilliant photos. Out of interest how many hours post PPL do you have?

Sim

Andy_R
10th Feb 2005, 22:45
Thank you for your kind words.

simkin I had 144 at the start of the course, I have just hit 150. PPL passed last April after a long gap from the initial start of training with around 70 hours.

Could I ask why you ask?

stiknruda
10th Feb 2005, 22:52
Your last photo perfectly demonstrates my earlier point about a top wing being a hinderance!

Stik

Andy_R
10th Feb 2005, 22:57
Must admit stik I am a little worried about trying it in a high wing :uhoh:

greeners
11th Feb 2005, 08:02
I've been asked to fly high-wing aircraft for formation photo shoots. Can't say I enjoy it very much, and inevitably we end up flying further away! Aircraft like the Bulldog with its bubble canopy make great ab-initio formation training platforms.

Andy_R
11th Feb 2005, 08:37
:rolleyes: I'll just have to go and buy a Bulldog now then :} :p

simkin
11th Feb 2005, 09:34
Cloud,

Reason I asked how many hours you have is because as someone yet to complete their PPL some of the flying you described sounds, to me, like a hell of a step up from PPL level and I was just wondering what experience you had.

Well Done!

Sim

Andy_R
11th Feb 2005, 11:43
Simkin

Yeah ok stupid me, was tired at time of that posting and brain not working :rolleyes:

I stand to be corrected but I believe the pre-requisite for entry onto the course is 25 hours post PPL as an absolute minimum.
For good reason as you need to have developed your flying a little and it would be silly to jump straight into something so demanding.

Having said that the majority of my flying post PPL has been cross country stuff, apart from a few aero's. Good for developing a more relaxed flying style as you become used to using the radio and increase your basic skills. I reckon proper straight and level (no deviation) is probably one of the hardest skills to develop so that it just happens. No I am not there quite yet!!!

I did find the flying one hell of a leap but you need to have some faith in your abilities. If you read my account of the first few lessons you will see mention of feelings of incapability and thoughts of should I even have a licence. However, these soon disappear as you relax a bit more and of course decent instruction helps. What it does do is ram home just how unsafe formation without training would be.

The steep learning curve leaves you with a feeling of immense satisfaction at having achieved something at the end of it. How much better my basic skills are remains to be seen after the next time I fly :hmm:

Just to add to the above; I also took the precaution of having an hour in the Bulldog the day before so as I felt more comfortable flying it. Add that to an hour in December as a way of introducing us to what is involved in flying formation at least meant I (sort of) knew what to expect. Like everything in flying, a bit of preparation goes a long way.