PDA

View Full Version : Chicken bombs near Newcastle

Duff Man
9th Feb 2005, 22:11
Why did the chicken hit the roof? Because it could (SMH link) (http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/02/09/1107890276074.html)
An aerial scavenger with a too-hefty burden? Wayward tsunami relief? Or urban terrorists with a new weapon of mass destruction? These are just some of the theories to explain a full-scale mystery for the residents of Fletcher, near Newcastle.

Police admitted yesterday they were dumbfounded by the apparent plunge of a plucked chicken into the roof of a suburban house - the second such incident in five weeks.

The most recent grisly find was made by the Slee family, of Rosewood Crescent, upon returning from holidays last Sunday.

"There was this putrid smell coming out of the house, said Warwick Slee.

"We thought we'd left something in the bin. Eventually, we looked up on the roof. There was some sort of dead animal there with maggots crawling through it and flies buzzing around."

The carcass, while rotted beyond recognition, was roughly the size of a football and looked a bit like a frozen supermarket chicken. "It had splattered [on the roof] and decomposed," Mr Slee said. "It had no feathers, no fur, no head and no claws."

The incident follows a similar attack last month, when a plucked chicken thudded into the roof of the Leung family, in nearby Sandalwood Avenue.

In both cases, the impact of the carcass smashed roof tiles.

Before last Sunday's repeat incident, possible theories were that the chicken had fallen from a light-plane picnic hamper, or was even an errant piece of tsunami food aid from an RAAF aircraft bound for Asia.

Police have no leads and are pleading for information.
---------------

OK who was it? own up ....

Sunfish
9th Feb 2005, 23:28
There used to be a chicken gun for testing windscreens at HdH, but I don't think it has the range......

DeltaSix
9th Feb 2005, 23:30
Why did the chicken hit the roof ?........... because Colonel Saunders was after it, didnt even have time to pack their parachutes.

So, that's where those darn chooks went to .....

:}

D6

Woomera
10th Feb 2005, 00:11
In my journeys back and forth Oz in days of yore, I used to run across this beautiful old Beech 18 stuffed to the rafters with day old chicks from Moorabbin ? enroute to Perth.

I don't suppose he left a few up there, Newcatle is a bit off track, but the jetstreams blow that way which might explain why it was frozen. :} :rolleyes:

Ozgrade3
10th Feb 2005, 06:23
Whos carrying out this fowl deed.

Been suggestions from birds picking up dumped frozzen chooks from a local tip then dropping them, or more realisticly, some scallywag has one enormous slingshot flinging the birds to a great height.

Ch9 showed one housewife whos house had been chicken bombed waiting in the back yard with a baking tray in hand, saying if another one lands in her house shes gonna cook it.

Make for an intersting house insurance claim.

Will we see a TAF NTL INTER FLYING FROZEN CHOOKS A050 AND BELOW

SsaKcaj
10th Feb 2005, 06:33
Might be the only birds you have a chance of picking up Ozgrade.:hmm: :8 :8 :8 :8 :bored:

john_tullamarine
10th Feb 2005, 08:25
Woomera, mate .... did I tell you that CASA (or whatever its name was that year) made us take a .38 along on day old chick freighter flights ... ? .. wild animals, you know .. the best tale related to another carrier which routinely carried numerous tonnes of oysters ... when the same examiner tried the same trick the Chief Pilot opined that "I think it will be all right, mate ... I'll take along a plate, fork, and some tasty sauce ... should be able to fight the buggas off"

If the bird is essentially complete I would opt for an unfortunate encounter with a vigorous Cb. .... otherwise an errant clown in a lightie ...

SHAGGS
10th Feb 2005, 08:44
It might be bored Aeropelican pilot trying something new !!!!!!! I can imagine a certain duck pilot throwing chooks out of a Twin Otter.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Go the Duck, quack, quack.

Duff Man
10th Feb 2005, 09:26
Shaggs, a few weeks back the aeroduck made a call to company on approach's frequency by mistake, the tx went for ages and the whole time quack quack quack quack quack quack quack for all to hear :D :D

Woomera
10th Feb 2005, 10:08
john_tullamarine

Geeez a .38 slug is about the the same size and probably thrice the weight of a day old chick. The weight of the boxes of ammo required to shoot em all would gross out the aircraft something fierce. :rolleyes:

Scene;
Inflight riot of several thousand day old threatening to hijack the aircraft.
Pilot to the leader of the chicken pack with its head and body halfway up the barrell; :uhoh:

"I know what you're thinking punk. You're thinking did he fire six shots or only five. And to tell you the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement. But being this is a .38, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? Well do you, punk?":E :\

A man would need a bottle or two of fine port afterwards to steady himself down methinks.:ok:

steamchicken
10th Feb 2005, 10:10
Picked up by a whirlwind out at sea? That's the usual explanation: or is it just what THEY want us to believe? At least the anti-chicken crash helmet fits over my tinfoil hat!

john_tullamarine
10th Feb 2005, 10:18
Roger that, Woomera ...

Cousin Cletus
10th Feb 2005, 11:10
Who the fek is Colonel Saunders?:}

Lasiorhinus
10th Feb 2005, 11:47
When I first heard about these chickens I had visions of that old story about the russians, the cow, and the japanese fishermen.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
10th Feb 2005, 11:50
I heard from a 'good' source (Sauce) that the BE18 man used to carry a rather long, large stick - CASA Approved - so that in the unhappy event of one 'donk' not 'donking' - he could bash the stick around all the boxes/crates so causing the chickens to flap their cute little wings - in unison one would hope - thereby effectively causing an immediate decrease in the effective AUW....

Aw shucks, t'was the best I could do at short notice...
Cheers

tipsy
10th Feb 2005, 12:57
Well I'll be plucked:ok:

tipsy

DeltaSix
10th Feb 2005, 22:17
Cousin cletus - Col Saunders is the fella who slaughtered all those chooks in the US, covered them in batter, deep fried them, and sent them in stores called KFC.

No wonder they had a shortage on the "hot and spicy" they were all on the roof.

:}

heeeerrreee chicky, chicky

Ozgrade3
10th Feb 2005, 23:29
Heared one of the pilots tried to flog a box of those day old chicks. a potential customer behind the hanger said, "äre they going cheap"....to whitch the pilot said...." of course they are.....what do u expect them to do.....Bark"!!!!!

Woomera
11th Feb 2005, 07:28
Bwahahahahahaha!

Promoted to Ozgrade1 now for services in promoting a sense of humour, something one needs the higher one gets in this industry.:}

OZBUSDRIVER
12th Feb 2005, 01:05
Write that one down..:)

tipsy
12th Feb 2005, 11:31
At the risk of enraging our beloved Woomeri, I must correct your assertion

"for services in promoting a sense of humour, something one needs the higher one gets in this industry"

Working in this industry is like smoking marjuana (sp?), the harder you suck, the higher you get.:ok:

Humour has nothing to do with it:{

tipsy
cough, cough, bl00dy furball:yuk:

Woomera
12th Feb 2005, 12:17
Choice of gong for tipsy for truth telling. :E well, as long as you don't inhale anyway.:}

The Monst.
16th Feb 2005, 22:01
WHO'S CARRYING OUT THIS FOWL DEE.....................oh..........
......yes..............good one Ozgrade...........(DOH!!!)............:p

Woomera
17th Feb 2005, 07:14
Shades of Goon show cast sailing their fort across the Gobi desert.

Natives start the artillery up firing chickens, squwarks follow sound of gun. Dialogue goes something like.

"egads they're shelling us"

"what a fowl trick"

"eggsactly":p

they all break up laughing for a minute;

Wish I could remember the rest. Must go and have a look through those old 331/3rds:}

The scripts are surprisingly short, not more than a half dozen pages on paper, they must have had so much fun filling in the bits.

:ok:

Obiwan
18th Feb 2005, 00:27
Back to the topic - heard a caller on Triple J radio suggest it might have been a friend of his. Said friend rang back to deny it was him but then offered several plausible methods for firing chickens...

;)