PDA

View Full Version : Light aircraft crash in Kent (Merged)

Vino Collapso
8th Feb 2005, 12:20
I am picking up rumours of a serious accident involving a light aircraft at Shoreham, UK.

Anyone know any more?

Vino

bar shaker
8th Feb 2005, 12:50
BBC reporting one dead in light aircraft crash at Paddock Wood this morning.

DBChopper
8th Feb 2005, 13:32
Here's what the BBC are reporting (sorry - would have posted a link but no time to look up how to do it!). It's a reasonable distance from Shoreham, but in case it is the same incident...

"One dead as light plane crashes

One person died when a light aircraft crashed into a field in Kent.
The plane crashed shortly before 1100 GMT on Tuesday in Horsmonden, near Paddock Wood.

Police said it is believed there was only one person in the plane, who died at the scene, but said they could not confirm if it was a man or a woman.

It is thought nobody was injured on the ground. Three fire engines were sent to the scene and remained there making sure the plane wreckage was safe. "

Condolences to family and friends.

DBChopper

Vino Collapso
8th Feb 2005, 14:03
OK getting a bit more info on this now.

I am led to believe it was routing from the continent to Shoreham and diverted enroute finally coming to grief near Paddock Wood. Type is thought to be a PA28 based at Shoreham.

Big Hilly
8th Feb 2005, 19:00
Here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/4246793.stm).

BH

2Donkeys
8th Feb 2005, 19:06
I think this is probably the same story as is referred to in the misnamed "Incident at Shoreham" thread.

2D

Big Hilly
8th Feb 2005, 19:23
Ah right, maybe BRL could merge the two or delete this one then, whatever he sees fit.

BH

Vino Collapso
9th Feb 2005, 09:19
Sorry about the mis-naming of the other thread. A case of going into print with too little information.

Maybe BRL can re-name it

Vino

Gareth Blackstock
10th Feb 2005, 21:15
I couldn't open the link above to the article but from what I hear it was somewhere near Tonbridge. The pilot was well off track and he was the only one onboard along with a large amount of cocaine.

Can anyone confirm for me?

Gaz

Aussie Andy
10th Feb 2005, 22:10
with a large amount of cocaine What a load of cr*p. You "heard" this where? I sincerely hope we're not in the business of starting rumours here...

Timothy
10th Feb 2005, 22:28
I sincerely hope we're not in the business of starting rumours here...Someone remind me what PPRuNe stands for? :}

Or is the issue that as this part of the Forum has a lower proportion of PPs it shouldn't be allowed it's own Rus?

If it were the Professional Pilots Fact Network it could be ProFaNe.

Sorry, I'll go now.

Aussie Andy
11th Feb 2005, 06:56
OK mate, so should you ever be involved in a nasty accident we'll accuse you of smuggling class A drugs shall we? Do you think your family would like that?

There are very few people who believe that it is apprpriate to use the forum to besmirch the dead BEFORE any facts are known. You clearly think otherwise, and that's up to you.

:mad:

Flash0710
11th Feb 2005, 07:12
Hate replying to Aircraft Down threads but.....

Chill AA Mate.

I can think of very few reasons that i would attempt to get into headcorn ( think this is where a/c was heading? ) with that wx. Bearing in mind that the base of the a/c ( shoreham? ) is better equipped than headcorn and that southend ils h24 and Biggin?

All though is still hear-say at the moment so i firmly believe that there should not be any finger wagging til at least the guy has been named and the circumstances established.

Respect please gentlemen.

Kind Regards
And Condolences

F.

Sir George Cayley
11th Feb 2005, 07:56
All fatal aircraft accidents are treated as scenes of crime by the Police. One reason is that it gives them powers to secure evidence that the Coroner and DfT Inspector may require.

No inference of foul play should be taken from this. I agree that, on the basis we are innocent until proven guilty, damaging innuendo should be avoided.

It will all come out eventually and then we can all have a good old gossip whatever the outcome.

Sir George Cayley

Final 3 Greens
11th Feb 2005, 08:19
Well said Aussie Andy.

oliversarmy
11th Feb 2005, 09:01
Does anyone one know the a/c involved - I fly a PA28 out of Shoreham and have a few friends down there that do the same, I would be interested for more [relevant] info!

OA

Rod1
11th Feb 2005, 11:22
"The Piper Cherokee Warrior was understood to have been flying from Belgium to Shoreham airfield."

From the BBC.

Rod1

Big Hilly
11th Feb 2005, 17:55
Actually Aussie Andy, it would appear that you may owe Gareth an apology as it seems he wasn't too far off the mark: Here (http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=4121254) 4:17pm (UK)
'Cannabis' Found in Plane Crash Wreckage

By James Tapsfield, PA

Police have found suspected cannabis in the wreckage of a light aircraft which crashed in heavy fog, killing the pilot.

The plane is thought to have been on the way from Belgium to Shoreham airfield in West Sussex when it came down in Kent on Tuesday morning.

Emergency services went to the crash site in fields at Horsmonden, near Paddock Wood, just before 11am.

However, the Piper Cherokee’s Warrior II’s pilot – a British man in his 50s who has not been named – was pronounced dead at the scene. He was the only person on board.

A spokeswoman for Kent Police said today that a quantity of suspected herbal cannabis and tobacco had been recovered from the plane, and sent for analysis.

It is understood that the amount of cannabis discovered is more than would usually be expected for personal use.

The spokeswoman added: “The wreckage of the aircraft has been removed from the crash site by Department of Transport Air Accident Investigators.

“They will be examining the wreckage to ascertain the cause of the crash.”
BH

BRL
11th Feb 2005, 18:55
Hi all, I have just merged these two as suggested. I am in the middle of a C&G 7331 at the moment and not spending much time in here. Back to normal in a weeks time though!

Does anyone know what the reg was?

Aussie Andy
11th Feb 2005, 20:14
Well actually Big Hilly I don't think so... cannabis is not the same as cocaine, and there is no excuse for pre-judging someone without the facts. Didn't you people learn anything from the "Guildford Four" episode? Innocent until proven guilty. And no matter what the guy was smuggling, what do you conclude from that? For me, any lessons to be learned from an aviation perspective will be gleaned once we have the results of the AAIB investigation, and anything else is frankly tabloid ambulance chasing.

Andy :ok:

Big Hilly
11th Feb 2005, 23:32
Andy,

Fair enough, that's your perogative.

Regards,

BH

jayteeto
12th Feb 2005, 12:16
Cannabis, cocaine, whatever.... It is all the same to me and you liberal commies will not convince me otherwise. Drugs are drugs, and smuggling them is illegal. If he is an innocent man that has had these drugs planted on the airframe, (which I hope is true) then my condolences. If not, and it subsequently proves otherwise, then a quality result.....
Lets hope it was the first scenario for the sake of his family.

The adverts are true... "Drugs Destroy Lives"

Kirkbride
12th Feb 2005, 12:50
Believed to be G-BHIL PA28 161

Timothy
12th Feb 2005, 15:36
Whatever the rights and wrongs of this particular case, it doesn't do anything for our freedoms when people use light aircraft to smuggle drugs, illegal immigrants or any other contraband.

From that point of view cannabis is as harmful as coke, crack or heroin.

Maxflyer
12th Feb 2005, 16:37
Jayteeto

then a quality result.....

The loss of a life?

The Government downgraded cannabis and made it a class c drug. Whilst I don't condone drug taking or pushing I hardly consider the loss of a person's life in these circumstances a result.

This is akin to handing out the death penalty for shoplifting.

now back to private flying matters perhaps?

WorkingHard
12th Feb 2005, 16:55
Maxflyer I take your point about punishment BUT does anyone ever consider why Singapore DOES NOT HAVE A DRUG PROBLEM? Couldnt be anything to do with the mandatory punishment could it? Drugs kill and anyone trafficking should have a mandatory sentence - period.

jayteeto
12th Feb 2005, 17:12
I am not saying this man was smuggling. I repeat for his family, I hope the allegations are unfounded. But I retract nothing, in my opinion (I am entitled to it) a dead drug smuggler is a result. Sorry, but shoplifters dont destroy peoples lives....

BRL
12th Feb 2005, 17:48
As Maxflyer says, back to private flying matters please.........

jayteeto
12th Feb 2005, 18:09
I won't post again on the drugs side, but Mr Moderator... back to private flying matters. This thread actually is perfect education for anyone tempted to do illegal activities in an aeroplane. I dont think we have gone too far out of the forum on this.

IO540
12th Feb 2005, 18:16
Personally, if I was carrying some "substance", the last thing I would do is depart for the UK when the METARs are showing BKN002 and useless vis just about everywhere. One would draw an awful lot of attention doing an emergency ILS into some place in nearly zero/zero...

THAT is the real mystery here.

Was he flying VFR or IFR? Even IFR I wouldn't have gone; well not to Shoreham or anywhere near there.

BRL
12th Feb 2005, 18:17
Jaytee, I am aware of the points you make, I don't want it turning into a drugs/dealer debate. I am just trying to stop this before it goes too far.

This subject(drugs/dealers/aeroplanes etc) could be the making of another thread perhaps, right now we have an(local) aviator dead and none of us know if the drugs were his or planted there or what.

Capt. Vilo
12th Feb 2005, 22:18
Cant agree with BRL we are talking about "drugs" but at the end of the day there is a dead FELLOW pilot involved .... so thets forget the drug issue and send our respects.

Flash0710
13th Feb 2005, 06:27
You people banging on about "Trafficking". You dont even know how much he had...........( you aint going to get any tonnage on a pa28) So we are not talking for profit really. Profit i think comes from those large sea containers full of it.

And im sure many of you have trafficked that most evil of "drugs" Alcohol........( More deaths i think you will find)

The Beauty of living in this country (at the moment) is that if we do step out of line a bit we dont suffer the most severe consequences when we start living in a place like singapore i'm off early to my desert island......

Please leave speculation until the big red book is published. I'm sure if you people were involved and your familys were reading this you would like the same respect offered to you.

Regards
F.

cubflyer
13th Feb 2005, 07:47
IO540 you are right, not exactly the best weather for a flight like this. BUt I guess if you were to be doing the flight to carry something as suggested, then you probably go anyway. Its not exactly like going to Le Touquet for Lunch.
Problem is there are far too many aircraft still involved in this, even though you might not get as much in a PA-28 as a Sea container!
Was it last winter or the winter before, two aircraft crashed on take-off in Belgium/Luxembourg same day. I think it was a 182RG from Booker took off from a Belgian grass gliding strip in the dark, hit the trees, what a shame. PA-32 from Shoreham crahed on take-off from a small Luxembourg strip. Strange places to fly from in the middle of winter, both aircraft found carrying drugs. Then there was the AA-5 that supposidly had engine problems and made a precautionary landing near Hannignton, Hants. What a shame the pax got out and jumped forward into the rotating propellor, sounds like not much wrong with the engine, more like about to turn around and take-off again. They were carrying drugs. Then there was the guy dropping off illegal immegrants at some strip in Kent, dropping in on his way to Headcorn. I was at Breighton in yorks a few years ago when a PA-28 landed and someone got out at the other end of the runway before it took off again. Luckily the police were waiting and there was a Kingair overhead that was following the aircraft and caught the rest of them when they landed at Barton. No doubt there are many more, unfortuantely some that get away with it.
There are two or more strips in the Paddock wood area, if this is what was happening. Its certainly a long way off course if you are going to Shoreham!
Not only are these drug smugglers ruining peoples lives with the drugs, they are also making it more difficult for all of us in our hobby. If it wasnt for them then I am sure the rules would be more relaxed for foreign travel and Im certain the the "prevention of terrorism" rules are more there now to control drug runners than IRA bombers. And the Police would like to increase these powers to cover flights from all countries, not just NI, CI, IOM.

If this flight was a genuine problem and off course crash then Im sorry for a fellow pilot and sympathy with his family. If not then I agree with the others.

Monocock
13th Feb 2005, 09:05
Tell you what chaps...

Why don't we just work on the basis that because this fellow pilot was "in possession of more cannabis than one would expect for personal use" that he had a great aunt he was visiting in the Kent region who had terrible arthiritis.

Let's assume she also had a sister who had recently bruised herself in a toboganning accident and required some herbal pain relief.

Therefore, this man was flying their order in to help them out before they rewarded him with a roast chicken lunch.

Seems like a jolly nice chap to me.

For those of you who think I'm talking out of my arse, I'm doing it no more than the scandalists who have immediately made criminal assumptions.

Timothy
13th Feb 2005, 09:16
Mono,

Aunty, Sis, whatever, it's still illegal.

Let's not confuse the best of motives with legality.

I propose that he was a Registered Pharmacist, and was simply using a trip to see Granny in an old people's home in Utrecht to bring home some stuff he had ordered through his normal supplier, to save the postage.