PDA

View Full Version : aspiring pilots

ashdale
6th Feb 2005, 21:39
I am supporting an aspiring Commercial Pilot.
The cost of training, hours, SIM etc. are prohibitive.
This is known to all the stakeholders in the industry!
Anyone prepared to share their experience of SIMs where there are "adjustments" in the course of the SIM test?
The tester in the humble automobile cannot touch the controls.
Surely this can't happen "without notice" in a SIM ride?
Do the Aviation Authorities supervise Tests?
Do they accumulate statistics on pass / failure rates?
Reading the many pages on this site I find that there is unhappiness on many themes among some stakeholders.
I consider myself a stakeholder chasing the goalposts!!
BA.LLB

Jerricho
6th Feb 2005, 21:50
Reading the many pages on this site I find that there is unhappiness on many themes among some stakeholders.

Mate, you couldn't drag me from my job. Best fun in the world (umm, ok, second best.)

Not real sure what you're getting at? Especially in here.

Empty Cruise
6th Feb 2005, 23:42
ashdale,

Not quite sure what you are asking here, but...

Yes, if it is test for the purpose of issuing a licence or type rating, the Civil Aviation Authorities will be present at the test, in the form of a Flight Examiner or a Simulator Flight Examiner.

The contetnts of such a test are laid down in JAR-FCL 1 (presuming we are speaking fixed-wing here), as are the training standards laid down in this document.

If the FTO/TRTO did not meet its obligation to train the student to the standards required, then the examinee might have a good legal case against said FTO/TRTO, should at least be able to secure free training to complete course in compliance with FCL 1 and a new skill test.

If the FE or SFE required the student to demonstrate a manoeuvre that FCL 1 does not require to be taught, the FTO/TRTO must file a complaint to the CAA on behalf of their student.

However, being a FE myself, the examiner often faces 2 options. 1) Fail the student here & now 2) Give the student a task above the normal required standard - if he/she manages this, it can restore your confidence after the one blunder the student commited earlier. This option is normally only used if the student has generally performed well, but made a single fcuk-up that should normally lead to a partial pass or a failure. The danger in doing this is of course that the student may not be aware that he/she has made a grave mistake & suddenly sees you as asking him/her to do something above & beyond the normal requirements. So prudence dictates that the student is informed of the fcuk-up & advised that they are given a go at restoring confidence. 70% of the time, it works. 30%, they get so nervous about being undre further scrutiny that they fcuk up even worse. It's not nice for the 30%, but it works for the 70%.

Is this what you were looking for? Anyway, best of luck supporting your pilot - he/she will need it :ouch:

Brgds,
Empty

Edited to say that I agree with Jericho - not unhappy at all :) happyness is a life choice, as is being unhappy. The happy FD/CC/ENG/ATCO are REALLY happy, whereas the really unhappy ones... :rolleyes: :) :}