PDA

View Full Version : VHF/Airband Receiver

danielwong216
6th Feb 2005, 00:08
Hi, just want to know where i can get a good, but cheap VHF/Airband Receiver so that i can listen to my local frequencies.
Any suggestions? Many Thanks!:D

muffin
6th Feb 2005, 08:37
The best low cost one around is the Maycom AR108 available from a number of places. It has a proper AM receiver and a digital readout plus a few memories. Price in the £40-£60 region. Anything much cheaper than this will be rubbish in performance terms.

ThePirateKing
6th Feb 2005, 13:01
Hi,

I don't wish to dampen your enthusiasm, but receiving these transmissions if you are a) not licenced to do so, AND b) not doing so for the purpose of safely conducting a flight, is illegal.

I'm not judging or anything - I own a transceiver myself. I simply wish to avail you of all the facts to assist in your decision process.

Rgds,

TPK:ok:

LondonJ
6th Feb 2005, 13:11
PirateKing I think we've had this topic thread before and the conclusion was that it is not illegal to receive and listen to such frequencies but only to transmit. Otherwise they should check your licence before you purchase one.

squibbler
6th Feb 2005, 13:16
Oh no don't start all this AGAIN :yuk: !!

All the legalities and illegalities are here:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ra/publication/ra_info/ra169.htm

:ok:

ThePirateKing
6th Feb 2005, 13:27
LondonJ,

We have do it to death before. Most recently, here: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69140

Your argument about checking your licence doesn't hold. Do Comet check you have a TV licence before selling you a TV?

The actual, real, indisputable answer is that you can only listen to these transmissions:
a) For the safe conduct of a flight, and
b) If you are licenced so to do, and
c) Using a fixed installation (which would specifically rule out handhelds as a backup in the cockpit, but I doubt anyone will worry too much about that)

TPK:ok:

danielwong216
6th Feb 2005, 14:10
Thanks everyone for the replies!
One more question, I live in Nottingham City Centre, and the closest airport is EMA, which is about 20 miles, will I hear anything since I am quite far away from EMA>?

justinmg
6th Feb 2005, 14:46
Depends on how good the radio is!!! One thing is for sure, you will not get transmissions from the ground / tower / radar. You will hear most of what the aircraft are saying. If the radio is good and there are no ground obstructions, you might hear traffic at circuit height. Line of sight is the usual limiting factor.

muffin
6th Feb 2005, 15:17
Yes you will hear traffic in the air. If you are fairly high and unobstructed in that direction you may hear aircraft on the ground. I am 20 miles from EMA to the West and I can hear their ground stations.

Yes, technically it is illegal to listen but the rule has never been enforced as far as civil aircraft are concerned.

Tone
6th Feb 2005, 15:42
From high ground just south of Nottingham I can hear East Mids ATIS on 128.225, circuit traffic heard clearly but not much from the ground.