PDA

View Full Version : Formation Adventure

Andy_R
5th Feb 2005, 20:39
I was greeted at the entrance to Kemble by the security guard wiping sleep from his eyes; “D’ya know the way?” he asked and after my positive reply waved me through. As I drove around the airfield perimeter road I mused over what the day had in store for me. My palms were a little moist with nervous anticipation. The SOP’s I had been learning over the past few days jumbled themselves around in my head. Would I make the grade I wondered idly.

I was greeted effusively as usual as I walked through the door of Ultimate High’s office next to the control tower, no introductions needed today having flown with both the instructors that were going to turn our brains to mush today.

As I was supping a cup of coffee my fellow victim arrived. Oh…… he was a little more experienced than me, 300 hours and an advanced aero’s man who owned a half share in an Extra 230……. Gulp!! I was assured that it would make no real difference as the training that was to follow was spent equally divided between following and being followed.

We were soon down to business, an in depth multimedia presentation smattered with the usual UH style of humour, along with the emphasis on safety, safety and safety. This cannot be emphasised too much when flying formation. Understandably.

I was to be tutored by Mark (aka Greeners/flyguy) and my partner for the course was to be flying with Des, an ex RAF pilot/instructor and a former Red Leader as well as some years flying 757’s with Britannia – a small amount of experience then!!! According to local folklore, Des flies formation with his eyes shut and is heard to mutter “Feel the Force……Feel the Force!” Time spent with him later in the course indeed backed up this fable – a much laid back pilot with superb skills.

We walked out to the awaiting brightly coloured Bulldogs’ checked them over and then proceeded to strap in; not as easy as your typical spam can. First of all you need to ensure that all the straps are laid out correctly before sliding into the seat and then the fun starts – first of all locate the side straps for the parachute harness, slip them under another strap and then locate them into the buckle, before taking the over shoulder ones and doing the same. Then repeat the whole process with the seat straps until you are unable to move and are incapable of reaching the fuel cock. Lesson one, only tighten up seat straps once all the checks have been done! Total time taken about 9 minutes, though apparently I was down to 4 minutes by the end of the course.

Pre-start checks done I then need 3 hands to start the engine: one to hold the stick fully back, two to operate the starter (twist and push) and three to push the mixture from ICO to rich as soon as the engine fires!! The after start checks are all the usual and we sit waiting for the engine to warm up before carrying out a radio check with Merlin 2 on the company frequency and then calling for taxi information from Kemble Tower. Cleared to A1 for R26 we taxi the Dog’s to the hold to carry out power checks and then call for departure. Merlin Formation then takes off in formation with us studes following through on the controls. A sharp right hand turn out to avoid the cloud ahead, we then climb out into the local area to start our training.

As Merlin 1 we stay as lead whilst Merlin 2 is shown Echelon Starboard and attempts to fly it again without instructor input. The same follows for Line Astern and Echelon Port, all in straight and level flight. Then it’s my turn.

Mark makes it look sooo easy; Position yourself in a stabilised position beneath and to the right of the lead aircraft. Once stable increase the throttle to draw almost level with the lead, then back with the throttle to slow down and almost immediately back to cruise setting to keep station. Go up to the correct level to draw you alongside the lead and then edge in using small aileron input to the predetermined place, more or less pinpointed by a triangulation of rear fin and the line from the spinner out through the mid point of the aileron. Stay level and close with small constant inputs of elevator, aileron and throttle. Easy. Your turn Andy.

Yeah right – easy?!? I can’t do this I thought as I weaved about the sky, seemingly uncontrollably despite my best efforts. Suddenly I felt stupid, incapable, even incompetent. Who gave me a licence? Did they need certifying?

Line astern was terrifying. Constantly being urged to go closer when all you can see is your propeller about to eat the lead’s tail fin goes against all logical thought. Get too high and your tail hits the propwash from the lead, then your inputs become too large and PIO (pilot induced oscillation) starts and it’s hellishly difficult to get back in position and settled down again.

Echelon port is very much the same as starboard apart from you have to look over the P2 in order to see your references on the lead aircraft.

We then covered emergency breaks where you put in full aileron and elevator to get the hell outta there, then turn back, become visual with the lead and rejoin. This was followed by more practice at echelon and line astern with the efforts ramped up to include turns, climbs and descents.

Back to the airfield still in formation where we do a run and break, flying along the runway at 400’ and then peeling off at the end with a sharp climbing turn onto downwind, maintaining the oval shape all the way down to the ground, with a stream landing (one behind the other) always being aware of leaving an escape lane in case things go wrong.

Feeling shattered and totally humbled we go back to the office for a debrief and a very welcome cup of coffee.

After lunch we then brief for the next flight – very much the same but with the limits constantly being pushed, turning rejoins thrown in too and keeping station whilst turning – that is really hard; you are either at the outside of the turn so need to chuck on full power and go higher than the lead, or pitch down and lose some power to be lower than the lead.

Surprisingly it seemed a little easier (if one can use the word easy in the same sentence as formation!!) than the first time up. The RAF way of training is basically to push you as hard as possible (till you wobble was the expression used) so that when you return to something previously done it seems easier – it works!!

This time we ended the sortie with a tailchase. Basically you follow the leader. Fine until he performs wingovers and barrel rolls. Unfortunately as we were about to enter the loop phase my stomach gave out and I called surrender so I was left gulping cold air in an attempt to stop the cardinal sin of emptying the contents of my stomach. As someone who is a lover of aerobatics it does frustrate me when this happens. I got a little close to the lead at the top of a 130 degree wingover and had to shove the stick forward so forcing negative g on myself. One barrel roll and that was me finished off.

After regaining my composure I then flew back as Merlin 2 and though nowhere near perfect was surprised at how much better I managed to formate on the lead aircraft even around the circuit. There ended Day One – exhausted beyond belief for what was only just over 2 hours flying, exhilarated that I could sort of fly somewhere near another aircraft without flying into it but feeling very humble.

The next morning we were back again for more punishment and it was more of the same but ramped up in difficulty. I was able to do a formation take off, it really is something else taking off alongside another aircraft (usual safety rules apply!) and the lesson ended with me as Extreme 2 whilst we descended from 4000’, into the circuit for a formation landing, engaging flaps by feel. The base leg became a little ugly as I struggled to maintain echelon port on a tight left hand circuit whilst descending, lowering flaps with the associated change in attitude and tiredness kicking in. Eyes fixed on the lead until the runway hove into my peripheral vision and then focus on the runway. Another lesson – continue to fly the aircraft at this point or your speed becomes too low – sorry Mark, don’t like hard landings and nor do you!!! Consider lesson learnt.

What amazed me was not realising we were back in the circuit until Extreme 1 called downwind. The concentration required whilst maintaining formation is immense, the skills needed to maintain situational awareness even more so.

It was much later when thinking over the day’s proceedings that I realised for a few seconds it had come together earlier that lesson. On the way back from the practice area during the descent we had been in a turn and I had returned to straight and level whilst maintaining formation without realising I was doing it. It was only for a few seconds but the feeling of achievement was immense.

Anti climax to end.....................................................

Unfortunately this story will have to be finished at a later date as our aircraft went tech, so the last lesson of the Basic Formation Course will be next week. Boy am I looking forward to that.

Monocock
5th Feb 2005, 21:31
It is grammatically perfect contributions such as these that makes me certain that some of our flying magazines need to take a close look at their contributors and the subject matter they allow to be printed.

Nice one Andy, that made some of the recent Flyer articles seem positively tedious.:ok:

Andy_R
5th Feb 2005, 22:05
http://1.srv.fotopages.com/2/4157723.jpg

http://1.srv.fotopages.com/2/4157724.jpg

AerBabe
6th Feb 2005, 09:29
Thanks for sharing all that, Andy. Do come back next week and let us know how it finished. The tech problems weren't as a result of your hard landing, were they? ;)

Does anyone want to sponsor a promising young thing?

(Me :O )

Andy_R
6th Feb 2005, 11:04
AerBabe - and there I was thinking you were calling me young :E

The tech problem was an overcharging one. The ammeter was showing a huge charge rate which in the last 5 minutes of the flight dropped to negative. After a couple of hours wait, engineers pronounced the day over :oh: Good really 'cos that means more fun next week :ok:

I've had harder landings but when you have pilots of such experience next to you, one does like to do it well and grease it on - it was tiredness, paying to much attention to the lead and forgetting to fly the plane all the way to the ground which meant I let the speed drop too low and she gave up flying a couple of feet too soon :ooh:

AerBabe
6th Feb 2005, 11:26
The tech problem was an overcharging one I know it's expensive, but that's a bit rude. :8

greeners
7th Feb 2005, 16:22
..and it's not expensive either! ;)

Andy_R
7th Feb 2005, 18:24
..and it's not expensive either!

Would never dare to suggest it :p

Just realised I posted the same piccie twice above so I have updated the posting :O

BEagle
7th Feb 2005, 19:32
Ahh - Bulldog formation. Used to be my favourite instructional work on the UAS..

Particularly tail-chasing at the end of the session! Really miss that - it was epic fun!

greeners
7th Feb 2005, 20:30
We're still very keen for a man of your massive skills to come and enjoy teaching tailchasing some more, BEagle! ;)

AerBabe
7th Feb 2005, 20:53
and it's not expensive either! I wasn't making a judgement on value for money (which I'm sure is second to none), merely the actual real costs involved. :ouch:

greeners
8th Feb 2005, 07:44
Aerbabe, I was merely jesting! ;)

AerBabe
8th Feb 2005, 10:57
I know. :D

After all, you wouldn't want to be seen fighting with potential customers, would you?!

airborne_artist
8th Feb 2005, 13:31
Ahh - Bulldog formation. Used to be my favourite instructional work on the UAS..

Funnily enough the studes (I was on RN EFTS, but much same as the UAS course) enjoyed it too.

Andy_R
9th Feb 2005, 22:49
Rejoin from an emergency break to echelon right whilst in 30 degree banked turn to the left - the pace was stepped up today somewhat - huge grin factor. More tomorrow, cloud is soooo tired.

http://2.srv.fotopages.com/2/4219593.jpg