PDA

View Full Version : Remote night ATC for Shannon and Cork!

Global Pilot
3rd Feb 2005, 21:27
This report was carried in The Irish Independant of Feb 2 2005. Forgive me if this topic has already been trashed out, I did a search and found nought!

"PLANS to close air traffic control towers at Shannon and Cork airports from midnight until 6am would see landing lights for night flights switched on remotely from Dublin.
The controversial proposals are contained in the Irish Aviation Authority's 'Strategic Plan 2005-2010', which also proposes a total loss of 28 jobs - most of which will be at Shannon.

The plan, which must get the go-ahead from the authority's board of directors, was prepared jointly by Airways International and Sofreavia Group for the IAA.

It suggests reducing staffing levels at Shannon from the existing 157 to 137 - a loss of 20 jobs - while numbers at Cork could be reduced by eight.

The document says: "It is questionable whether Cork traffic levels justify the provision of aerodrome services overnight.

"The average traffic per hour in July 2004 was one flight. There were periods during July when there was no traffic during the night."

One option is that the Cork tower be unattended overnight "for all or part of the period from midnight to 6am. While this is a reduction in service, it is suggested it would impose minimal disruption."

The plan also points out that "by having Cork unattended overnight, the staffing requirement is reduced by up to two".

Shannon Airport is regularly used for aircraft diversions and emergency landings. However, the IAA plan suggests the control tower at Shannon would not need to be staffed from midnight to 6am either.

"While Shannon Tower has similar issues to Cork Tower - as Shannon is an ETOPS diversion (used for aircraft diversions and emergency landings) - the current staffing of two controllers overnight is maintained."

However, the plan outline continues: "Given overnight traffic levels, there is little justification for 24-hour services."

It is proposed that "without the ETOPS requirement, Shannon Tower could revert to core hours of service and remote lighting activation, and approach navigation aid monitoring could be provided through the Remote Control Monitoring System for this period from Shannon Centre".

It is also recommended that "as Dublin is staffed 24 hours and provides full air traffic control services and lighting/approach aids, the IAA investigate the concept of Dublin being designated as the ETOPS diversion airport".

This would leave the way clear for the IAA to close Shannon Tower from midnight to 6am.

An Impact spokesperson confirmed that a copy of the document was received only last Friday.

Impact's assistant general secretary Michael Landers said: "We are concerned about the implications of the plan and very concerned that any of our members would lose their jobs.

"We will be speaking with the Irish Aviation Authority in due course," he said.

The Irish Aviation Authority insisted yesterday, however, that there will be "no forced redundancies".

An IAA spokesperson confirmed the plan was presented to its board and managers on Friday and to the Impact union on Friday evening."

Just to add to the original post, I looked at Shannon\'s movements for Feb3 between 0001 and 0559.

00:18A PACNET1 C10T EGGD EINN E 180
00:43A RCH784 MD11 OKBK EINN E 360
02:31A WOA971 MD11 EINN KATL E 280
03:38A WOA8252 MD11 KFOE EINN E 330
03:54A RCH781Y B753 LTAG EINN E 320
05:34A AMT8370 B752 KIND EINN E 350
05:45A ABR8030 F27 LFPG EINN E 200
05:47A EIN132 A333 KBOS EINN E 360
05:49A RCH798 MD11 EINN OKBK E 330
05:52A AMT8016 B753 EINN KBGR E 320
05:59A EXS6526 A30B EIDW EINN E 160

Looks pretty busy to me between these times!

Findo
4th Feb 2005, 11:17
Is the full information here ? The header is remote night ATC but the story mainly deals with staff reductions. In my knowledge "remote ATC" describes ATC done from another place. Completely different from no ATC available.

The Shannon movements could easily be handled by a service done from another ATC unit. It confuses the topic by introducing ETOPS.

Don't DFS in Germany already do this ?

Lots of scope for doing this at UK regional airports too.

Global Pilot
4th Feb 2005, 19:56
Yes I am sorry the post did drag on about job losses etc but I wanted to post the entire article as it from a subscription only site. The crux of my post was to be ""PLANS to close air traffic control towers at Shannon and Cork airports from midnight until 6am would see landing lights for night flights switched on remotely from Dublin."
My question regarding handling Shannon mvmts remotely is how can these continue if the tower is not available? I have encountered 737s doing non precision approaches in Australia at night with no tower in operation (Broome WA for example) but will this work here?

Findo
5th Feb 2005, 17:44
Remote monitoring of the ILS and control of local R/T is quite easy technically. The significant change in operations would be the visual monitoring of the runway and it's movements by CCTV from Dublin.

Anyone know what DFS do in Germany where I believe this is happening ?