PDA

View Full Version : GA flying in Dubai / Abu Dhabi

Superpilot
3rd Feb 2005, 13:32
Can anyone comment on what general aviation flying is like in Dubai and/or Abu Dhabi, or more appropriately in the UAE? Looking to book a holiday and was wondering how easy/difficult it might be for a JAA PPL holder to rent a plane for a day.

I understand there aren't many FBO's.

Ta

TAF Oscar
3rd Feb 2005, 17:12
Contact the Dubai Flying Association (Tel: +971 4 351 9691) for more information.

You could also contact:

* Emirates Flying School (Tel: +971 4 299 5155)
* Fujairah Aviation Centre: (Tel: +971 9 222 4747)
* Umm Al Quwain Aeroclub (Tel: +971 6 768 1447)

Hairyplane
6th Feb 2005, 12:46
Just back from a 10-day holiday and spent 5 days in Abu Dhabi and Dubai respectively.

Do you know something? Despite spending loads of time on my back on the beach I never saw one small plane, only exec. helicopters.

I had no plans to commit aviation but it must be a fliers paradise out there, especially at this time of year (23-25c). Car fuel is 60p per gallon so I guess Avgas is cheap too.

Dubai is absolutely fantastic in all respects. For a salutory lesson to us Brits on service, check out the Jumeira Beach Hotel.

It is simply staggering and with sooo much to offer - the perfect holiday destination.

OK, it ain't cheap (£225 ish per night room only) but worth every penny.

We stayed initially at the excellent Intercontinental in Abu Dhabi @ £70 per night.

Abu Dhabi is a lot cheaper and a lot less busy than Dubai.

Don't take too many clothes - you will pay half price for pretty much everything out there, top names or otherwise.

Bling? - Check out the Gold Souk (market) in Dubai if you want to please somebody special and all at bargain prices.

PM for any up to date holiday info on either place.

HP