PDA

View Full Version : Broken Tie-Downs

maxtech
3rd Feb 2005, 06:47
My pride and joy suffered some minor damage during the high winds we have experience over the last few weeks. I was informed by the airfield operators that one of the nylon rope tie-downs had some how broken during the night. This resulted in the aircraft receiving an un-approved modification to its starboard wingtip. About £6000 worth of modifications! It can now do very tight right hand turns. I know this is akin to closing the door after the horse has bolted, but since then, I have been looking for a better method of securing the plane. I did find what seemed to be the perfect thing. Designed especially for light aircraft, it consisted of a webbing strap with quick release hooks at both ends and a lockable tension adjuster. Unfortunately, it was made in the US and the manufacturer will not sell overseas. Does anyone know where to obtain a similar or better system in the UK?:(

Flyboy-F33
3rd Feb 2005, 07:04
Almost any decent hardware shop, camping/caravan store Halfords etc sell webbing straps with metal q/r loops on the ends.
(adjustable with a ratchet devise). I have used then for years.

strake
3rd Feb 2005, 08:31
I think the system you are referring to is called Spyra Base.

I've got one and it works OK..if not a little "over the top" for most light aircraft.

I'll PM you with the address.