PDA

View Full Version : Aerobatics in the Midlands

cortilla
2nd Feb 2005, 15:48
Hi,
Long time reader first time poster in this forum. I feel my flying skills could do with some fine tuning, and this summer i may have some cash comin my way. I thought the best way of doing it was some form of aerobatics course. I live in the east midlands (about 10 miles from east mids airport) and was looking for some kind of course in the neighbourhood.

It's really annoyed me (partly the way flying training is organised and partly my own fault) that i've never ever done a spin, and i reckon some proper seat of the pants flying training would do me a world of good.

Anyone got the contact details of some good orgs/people to get in touch with post here or PM me. (already had a look at www.aerobatics.org.uk)

Cheerso

Ludwig
2nd Feb 2005, 15:56
Try elsewhere first, but if you want the best give Northamptonshire School of Flying a call. They will be able to teach you in their Slingsby or Pitts S2A at either Sywell or Sibson.

www.nsof.co.uk for all their details, or call 01604 644678:ok:

Rod1
2nd Feb 2005, 16:20
There is a Chipmunk “associated” with Donnair. I think they teach aerobatics on it and it is based at EMA.

Rod1

foxile
2nd Feb 2005, 16:36
I think Leicestershire Aero Club at Stoughton still have a C150 Aerobat. They may well be worth following up.

Ludwig
2nd Feb 2005, 16:38
I think you might find that Leicester's Aerobat has been crashed; one of several over christmas to be wrecked.

foxile
2nd Feb 2005, 16:42
Ah... Sorry. Thanks for that. Getting a bit out of touch stuck here in Porto...

Shame, had a few hours of fun in that:ugh:

stiknruda
2nd Feb 2005, 16:42
I wholeheartedly recommend Cas Smith at Full Sutton. He advertises in Pilot mag under AEROBATICAS - no doubt Google will point you to their website.

Stik

BT121
2nd Feb 2005, 16:54
There's a Bulldog based at Derby available for aero instruction.

DB6
2nd Feb 2005, 17:26
Tatenhill has a Decathlon which is about the cheapest decent aerobatic machine you'll find in your area . Look at this link. (http://www.tatenhill-aviation.co.uk) . When you start to get a bit of experience then as Stik says, Cas is the man. On the BAeA website you'll find a new thing called the buddy list. You can use that for contacts regarding aerobatic competitions.

AerBabe
2nd Feb 2005, 17:35
I'm with Stik - I've flown with Cas Smith, and he's a great instructor. Very calm, good sense of humour (he needed it :uhoh: ), honest and an excellent instructor.

benhurr
2nd Feb 2005, 18:46
I can take you spinning from EMA if you PM me

trevelyan
2nd Feb 2005, 20:19
Sounds to me like you should give Ultimate High (http://www.ultimatehigh.co.uk) a call at Kemble.

Have a very comprehensive list of advanced flight training packages, from post PPL training, Spin training and upset recovery packages, formation training thru to Top Gun air combat sorties. You will fly either the Extra 300, which is about as good as it gets without reheat, and the Bulldog - a fantastic aeroplane to learn aeros in.

The guys and girls there are always eager to please, and if you give them a call and explain what youve done, and what you would like to achieve they can tailor a package to specifically suit your needs.

This months Pilot mag has a great article on the formation course.

Alternatively PM greeners or andy cubin who will be happy to talk you thru it.

All the best

:ok:

squawking 7700
2nd Feb 2005, 21:28
Tatenhill's Decathlon CS whilst it's still available (it's up for sale) is the only aerobatic aircraft available for hire in the locality that I know of. It's relatively cheap for an aerobatic aircraft with CS prop
(and tailwheel) at 98 quid an hour. Very pleasant to fly, but it's not a Pitts or an Extra.

The Bulldog at Derby, whilst great fun, is only available dual.
There's a couple of Pups available for hire but I think they're both
deemed 'no aeros' as are a few other aerobatic a/c?!?! in the Midlands.

Not sure about Chippy 901 at East Mids, not seen it about lately
and I don't know if it's available solo, I have got contact details if you want them.

Failing that, it's a long drive to Sibson or Sherburn.

stiknruda
2nd Feb 2005, 21:51
CAVEAT - I have never flown with Cas. However, I know many folk who have. I have recommended him to a couple of chaps who were very pleased with the training that they received.

If I've not flown with him, why do I recommend him? Simple really, Cas has the knack of making you not feel foolish when you ask elementary questions and is always very happy to share his knowledge, generally for nothing more than the price of a cup of tea!

Nice bloke, nice manner.

Stik

cortilla
3rd Feb 2005, 04:19
Cheers for all the responses. I'll speak to them at donair about it (never realised they had a chippy tho i do fly with them on a semi regular basis). The Aopa aerobatics certificate training seems like exactly the ticket for me (having read a bit more about it. Teaches me exactly what i want to achieve. Though actually getting the certificate isn't that important to me, want to get the finer skills honed down, but having an extra piece of paper never hurt anyone, and i'll get to have a lot of fun at the same time:ok: :p. Whilst flying in a great machine like the extra would be an ultimate dream, the price difference between it and a buldog is significant, and so i'd probably go with the buldog rather than the extra.

Like i said cheers for all the responses so far and if anyone has any other suggestions, please whack em on here.

Cheerso

waldopepper42
3rd Feb 2005, 07:53
I too have flown with Cas Smith, on many occasions. I agree with Aerbabe and Stik, excellent instructor and an easygoing manner, despite my ham fisted attempts to put his life in peril!

Sadly, the Pitts S2-A is no longer available at Full Sutton :{ but there is still the Firefly to abuse. :E

Sleeve Wing
3rd Feb 2005, 15:43
AEROS .

A lot of people travel an awful long way to fly with Alan Cassidy and his instructors at White Waltham, in the Pitts and now an Extra 300. Try 01628 823272.

cubflyer
3rd Feb 2005, 18:50
There is still a 152 Aerobat available at Leicester, there were two. The one that was damaged before xmas is also being rebuilt I understand.
Other than that I think Sherburn still have their CAP 10, a very nice aircraft to fly for an intoduction to aerobatics. Or I guess another choice could be the Cambridge flying group with their Tiger Moths.
Whatever you try, you'll have great fun!

Human Factor
3rd Feb 2005, 19:15
Is Gennady Elfimov still doing the Yak-52 course at Wolverhampton Spaceport?