PDA

View Full Version : Training in Florida

picky
1st Feb 2005, 21:58
For all those people who are considering doing some training in Florida I thought I'd pass on a bad experience I had with a certain flying school in Kissimmee Florida. Not sure whether I can mention their name, but they have been talked about in this forum quite a lot and don't seem to have a very good reputation.

To summarise, the plan was to do some leisurely flying but I got talked into doing my night rating, which I didn't mind, but then found afterwards that I paid well over the odds for it - Much more than their published price and more than even doing it over here!!!! And to rub salt into the wounds I couldn't even send off my application as I didn't do the required 5 solo take offs and landings. They insisted that, although clearly stated on the application form, were not a requirement and that ALL the training could be dual.

I got in touch with them numerous times afterwards, each time being promised it would be investigated but each time nothing transpired and I eventually gave up.

I enjoyed the flying out there so it wasn't a complete waste, but it was a costly one and to finish off my night rating over here now will make it probably one of the most expensive night ratings!!!

So just to reiterate what has been said in this forum before, training is not necessarily cheaper in the US. If you are blasé like me and just trust the flying school to guide you then can get stung. My advice is don't pay up front or 'on account' and get external advise if you are not sure about something you are being told.

VisaGeeza
2nd Feb 2005, 00:23
If you are blasé like me and just trust the flying school to guide you then can get stung.
I think that that applies anywhere in the universe. I know it's too late now but on the other side of the airport from OFT is Sunstate Aviation. An altogether different outfit with new 172SP's on offer at prices little different from the prices of the well worn trainers which you were renting. Fraid we all live and learn!