PDA

View Full Version : Formula Air Racing Association

stiknruda
31st Jan 2005, 15:46
Just wondered how many of you UK based Private Flying ppruners had received a letter from the chairman of FARA regarding the association's quest for the resurrection of formula air racing in the UK during 2005?

Formula racing is flat out racing at heights between 10 and 50 ft, around a lozenge shaped course consisting of two parallel straights 1/2 a mile apart, 1 mile long, joined at the end by three turns of 60 degrees.

I'm aware that The Chairman has targetted performance biplanes, Pitts, Eagles, etc.

Am aware that some of you raced some time ago (Sycamore in a Beta?) and wondered if there were any top tips, apart from crashing and mid-airs to glean?

Barcli - you seen anything yet?

Stik

Ludwig
31st Jan 2005, 16:11
To quote Jeremy Clarkeson " Fly low, fly fast, turn left"

Are you going to do this then Stik? I should think whizzing around with 7 others in aircraft with very little visibility is an accident waiting to happen. One thing in a Cassault but in a Pitts with no viz into the turn, man you must be crazier than I ever thought you were.

Can you imagine opening the tap on the runway with 7 others ahead of you, or worse, behind you? I think this is sheer lunacy.

If you do do it, will you leave me your spare Pitts in you Will?

stiknruda
31st Jan 2005, 21:36
Ludwig,

The reason for the question was to see if a "sub-committee" of interested folk could come up with a safer plan! The man that fixes your aeroplane is keen, if we can amend the rules to take into consideration the poor vis (because of the top wing when pulling into corners) in a bipe. Staggered formation start in pairs with say, a 20 elephant separation?

Pitts 2112 and I are all too aware of how easy it is to go, "BLIND, OUT!" in close sporting formation with one or two others. With 8 whanging around in the weeds it will need some gentleman's agreed protocol if we are going to consistently make Euro Sport and not SkyNews.

Oh Ludwig - my current will has you down as scooping the lot, with the exception of a couple of firearms - TKF gets one, the other reverts to RSA! What you'll make of my dressing up box, I hate to guess - unless I include the ladies that normally use it!

Stik