PDA

View Full Version : ATCO Training Salary

Stevob
31st Jan 2005, 12:07
Im thinking about a short career in air traffic control while I comlete a modular ATPL. Ive just visited the NATS sit and it doesn't give too much info on the training salary. Could anyone help me out please? Many thanks.

LXGB
31st Jan 2005, 12:23
Hi Stevob,
I can't help you out with NATS salary details. I can however offer you a piece of advice...

Don't tell people "Im thinking about a short career in air traffic control while I comlete a modular ATPL" [sic].

They won't want to hire you.

Cheers,
LXGB

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
31st Jan 2005, 12:25
<Im thinking about a short career in air traffic control >

Are you aware of the amount of training and work required to become an air traffic controller? ATPL pales into insignificance by comparison. I have a lot of ex-colleagues who did ATPLs just to earn themselves a bit more pin money..

tired-flyboy
31st Jan 2005, 12:32
Hi there!

I agree completely with LXGB.

But for what its worth £14,800 (not including WAP) is the going rate and i don't believe that you would be able to complete this course AND do a modular ATPL - FAR TOO MUCH WORK!

I don't think you realise how much work is involved in getting this job.

My advice (for what it's worth) seriously consider your options but if that is what you decided to do then good luck to you - just keep your flying aspirations a bit to the back if you make it to interview!

Barry Cuda
31st Jan 2005, 12:38
I agree with HD, for once!!!!!!!!!!

Training at the college takes 6-12 months at least, full time with a bit of personal study needed at night
Then its about 12-18 months at a unit to validate, again full time and with bookwork etc...

Basic training salary now is about £14.5K, plus living allowance at the college, then about £22 before you validate...

This is all after the application process which at the moment is taking at least 12 months, assuming you are accepted.

In summary, don't bother applying if you think it's an easy way to make good money in a short term. It's not, it's hard work (although immensely satisfying) and you'll not have the time to do your ATPL as well...

Go and do something that will allow you a bit of flexibility and won't be too taxing as you'll need all your faculties for your flying studies....

All the best:ok:

atcea.com
31st Jan 2005, 13:30
This guy reminds me of a fellow I worked with at Los Angeles Center. He wanted to be a controller, but he wanted to be a lawyer too. All during his radar training at the center he worked out schedules so that he could attend law school at the same time. Both courses took him about three years to complete, and in 1980 he was checked out on radar and also passed the bar exam.

Talk about grueling!

Sad ending to the story: he not only participated in the '81 PATCO strike; he had his picture on the front page of the LA Times waving an "On Strike" placard. In the course of a week he was fired from his ATC job by President Regan and, for participating very visably in an unlawful strike, he was disbarred.

Last I heard, he was a salmon fisherman in Seattle. Ouch! :(

zed3
31st Jan 2005, 13:43
probably a very happy salmon fisherman!!!!!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
31st Jan 2005, 14:12
<<I thought becoming an ATCO would be simple. Look out of a window all day and be able to talk lots!!
Oh, and get to do loads of spotting!!>>

DOCTOR CRIPPEN..... quick.. this man requires urgent treatment. He's discovered far too much...

with alacrity
31st Jan 2005, 16:42
well, all except a couple of those at Bristol
Enter Standard Noise stage left:ouch:

eastern wiseguy
31st Jan 2005, 17:31
thinking about a short career in air traffic control while I comlete a modular ATPL

with that attitude .....you can go waste someone elses time..as an OJTI I doubt I would want to be bothered with you !! :mad: :mad:

Billy Onions
31st Jan 2005, 17:54
Im thinking about a short career in air traffic control

Oh man - I can't put the reply I want because the system tells me there are too many smilies in it. Please use imaginations.

Chilli Monster
31st Jan 2005, 21:00
Im thinking about a short career in air traffic control while I comlete a modular ATPL.

Glad to see everyone's beaten me to giving this wakner a reality check!

Stevob - facts of life.

1) What do you say to a newly qualified ATPL? "Big Mac and Fries twice please"

2) The fail rate for becoming an ATCO is significantly higher than it is for getting an ATPL.

Give you any clues as to the error in what you're thinking of?

T*ss*r :mad:

The Greaser
31st Jan 2005, 21:06
Guys, this is a confused kid/student. I think you should break the bad news without getting too personal!

Jerricho
31st Jan 2005, 21:14
By the sounds of it, his career aspirations will be very short.

(Reminds me a bit of this one (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=151599) )