PDA

View Full Version : Puzzled Pilot

Antigua
28th Jan 2005, 16:37
Ladies & Gents

It's some time since I've ventured into this particular lions' den. My ears are still ringing from the last time!

Since then I've been compulsorily retired from 35 years of longhaul flying with BOAC/BA.

Being incapable of doing a proper job, thank God, I've re-invented myself as a Lo-Co Frogbus pilot, and had an Orange chip implanted in what remains of the grey matter.

Now ... two things I have noted in my new European/Domestic playpen.

1) Europe is more 'foreign' than the rest of the world.

2) The BIG question I was hoping you could help me with.

Why do all the controllers 'down south' have Scots accents, and all those north of the border ... even unto INV ... have English accents?

Just wondering ...

Thanks

Chris :confused:

Spitoon
28th Jan 2005, 17:28
You're obviously not aware of NATS' policy in responding to posting requests!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th Jan 2005, 18:05
You won't believe this - I didn't when I first heard it a few years back.. It was suggested that the recruiting bodies had been instructed by the "government" to give preference to applicants from Scotland and Northern Ireland due to the high unemployment rate in those areas. Whether there is any truth I don't know, but there are certainly a lot of people from those areas in the London ATC set up. As for the other way round... obviously some Sassenachs have discovered the location of the escape tunnel.

Lastly, Antigua, we must have spoken millions of times on the R/T so hope I didn't add to the grey hairs!! My best wishes for your retirement; it's not bad once you get used to having no money!

HounslowHarry
28th Jan 2005, 18:14
Why do all the controllers 'down south' have Scots accents, and all those north of the border ... even unto INV ... have English accents?

Simple. All the busy complex airfields and centres are down south and they need the higher quality of staff to keep them running.

Also there is a policy of improving the stock in the south, so they send the scots and irish down here to breed with the natives. . .

Please start abuse now. . . .

GT3
28th Jan 2005, 18:34
ha ha

Some of us have to put a southern accent on just so we blend in with the locals and they think that its not a tartan army takeover ;)

Shermanator
28th Jan 2005, 18:39
I heard it was because NATS had been given a government directive to increase the %age of ginger people in the population south of watford, and to give the police up in bonny scotland a chance against car crime and bar brawls in particular.

My sources may be unreliable, and as a consequence I am not responsible for the above!

Atcham Tower
28th Jan 2005, 18:55
I thought it was something to do with the Highland Clearances....

Gonzo
28th Jan 2005, 19:10
More gingers would improve things, of course.

Obvious really.

tired-flyboy
28th Jan 2005, 19:22
Apparently we Jocks (and the Irish) have better diction on a radio!?! - if you can believe that

and as for the INV inbounds,

they're controlled by the Military and as most of them are from below Hadrians wall you have to put up with thier soft southern accents.

TFB bows out and ducks for cover!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th Jan 2005, 20:06
<<Apparently we Jocks (and the Irish) have better diction on a radio!?! >>

The MacRedhairies easier to understand???!! I can immediately think of two who didn't understand what they were saying themselves!! Great bunch of people though.

Lon More
28th Jan 2005, 20:43
Anybody remember Stan Boyle at Prestwick or Eurocotrol in Brussel? Had a very broad Glaswegian accent, v. nice bloke tho

BOAC
28th Jan 2005, 21:05
Hi Antigua - how's it going?

I thought it was something to do with the Highland Clearances - Atcham - do you happen to know the frequency for those? It would save a re-route:D

eastern wiseguy
28th Jan 2005, 22:23
Stan Boyle at Prestwick

Twenty seven years ago TODAY I met him and Archie Lamont and a pile of MATS1 that would have killed a lesser mortal (all requiring editing)as I marched into Scatcc on day one! I often wonder what happened to them all...yours with an Irish accent ...in Belfast!!

Antigua
28th Jan 2005, 23:15
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus
posted 28th January 2005 22:05
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Antigua - how's it going?

Ahhhh ... THERE you are! The creaking old bones didn't stop you either, then, BOAC?

Before I became a SHW I thought ' Astraeus' was something cows got before getting pregnant (again)! No doubt we will meet on the dreaded X Car Park bus!

Funnily enough, I was just transferring some 'Reds' photos from the old confuser to the new one. They are in colour, so I don't think you were in 'em!

Cryptic crossword lovers start here.

Can you blokes in INV do something about your bloody lapwings ... they keep going through my motors and I've only got two these days ...

Chris :*

BOAC
29th Jan 2005, 07:57
The creaking old bones didn't stop you either, then, BOAC - no, I got out of BA too :D

They are in colour, so I don't think you were in 'em -ouch! Well, if they are not in Hawker Harts I certainly will NOT be there:D

Race you 'over the bumps'!

Guy D'ageradar
30th Jan 2005, 06:45
How far south are we talking about here!!!!! :cool:

Evil J
30th Jan 2005, 14:33
Thats not to mention the Aussie at INV!!!

BALIX
30th Jan 2005, 19:26
Whaddya mean that ScACC is full of English? Wish it was :}

Actually, it will be when MACC come up here, if they haven't all resigned and gone to Anglisize Canada ;)