PDA

View Full Version : Ray Wilson (Scottish ACC) - RIP

10W
28th Jan 2005, 11:26
Folks,

For anyone who knew him, you will be saddened to hear that Ray (Thomas M or 'Tug') Wilson, a Watch Manager at Scottish Area Control Centre, Prestwick, passed away suddenly yesterday whilst on a hillwalking trip with some current and former work colleagues. :{

There is a great sense of loss as well as shock amongst all his colleagues. We can't believe it to be honest, Ray was a fit and healthy guy.

Our deepest sympathy goes to all his family and friends at this sad time. There will be a tremendous amount of support offered to them now and always from Rays colleagues, as it should be.

I have many good memories of working with Ray, as well as on social occasions. I particularly remember us both going on a trip to Shannon to negotiate some new procedures a while back and consuming large quantities of the local black liquid. I must have done OK because he christened me 'hollow legs' after that ;). A lot of people in NATS will also remember many good times with Ray whilst on development simulations at Bournemouth over the years. A great negotiator and people person, both as a union and later a management rep. He will truly be sadly missed by everyone whose life he touched.

Take care wherever you are mate ..... and save some of the beer for when the rest of us join you when our time comes.

RIP Ray.

BALIX
28th Jan 2005, 11:57
Jeez, this is one hell of a shock. As 10W says, Ray was a fit and healthy guy who could still run rings round much younger guys on the football pitch.

The Watch Manager's position at ScOACC is reasonably new and of course we 'lesser' mortals have had plenty to say about those appointed to the jobs. I can say without fear of a lie that I never heard anyone say a bad word against Ray.

Whilst I was never on the same watch as him, I've known him for twenty years and the news has pretty much cut me up.

RIP Ray :{

Dunebug
28th Jan 2005, 12:30
Ray's sudden death has come as a great shock to all of us here in engineering at Scottish. I only had the pleasure of Ray's company on one or two occasions but ever since then when I passed him in the corridor he would always, without fail, stop for a chat or say hello. It's the little things like that that make all the difference - he will be sadly missed by all in Atlantic House.

Farewell to a true gentleman

John Steven.:sad:

Jar Jar Binks
28th Jan 2005, 13:23
I received the news last night at work, and had to break the news to other colleagues. Their sense of shock was as great as mine. To say that I am still numb would be an understatement. My heart and deepest sympathy goes out to his wife and family.

I have known Ray since I first arrived at Atlantic House as a raw cadet in 1983. Since then we have worked on many ScACC projects, TMA re-organisation, Forth High/ Forth Low, Dean Cross Sector Split and most recently the North Sea re-organisation and North Sea Training Simulations. As 10W has said they were good times. I have many good memories of all the social events where Ray would put all us younger 'pups' to shame with his staying power at the bar and his general love of life and great sense of humour.

As part of the Watch Manager Team, he was never backwards in coming forwards when challanging decisions made at higher levels. He was also a great inspiration to myself and also a great support during recent hard times. I cannot even start to put into words how much you will be missed (especially all those bloody nutmegs at the football!!)

As Del says, keep, a few beers ready for the rest of us mate.....

RIP Ray.

Ian

flowman
28th Jan 2005, 15:55
Terrible news.
I was on the same cadet course as Ray, he was a real gentleman.
We learned to fly together in Lydd. He was a pleasure to be with.
Sh!t.
My condolences to all his colleagues, I know he will be sadly missed.
Roger

PPRuNe Radar
28th Jan 2005, 22:23
Topic 'stickied' for a few days so people can hear the sad news.

I understand from contacts that there was lots of pulling together of staff at ScOACC today. Although serving as Relief Watch Manager at ScOACC, Ray's 'spiritual home' Watch were on their first morning back after their days off and understandably there was a lot of trauma expected. As a result, the Night shift stayed over their duty time and the Day shifts came in early to provide any necessary cover if arriving staff felt unable to perform their duties after hearing the news. All this was volunteered by the staff themselves and was not forced upon them. Additionally, the Deputy General Manager met staff as they arrived and provided comfort and information as required. Kudos to them all for 'being there' when needed most and putting the 'team' above their own personal needs and feelings.

Special mention was also given to Jar Jar Binks who has handled the situation magnificently for all affected staff in spite of his own deep personal loss and trauma at losing a close friend, confidante, and colleague.

ATC is only a job at the end of the day, and things like this bring it in to perspective. But it's fantastic to see that a sense of comradeship and spirit will pull us all through when tough times come around.

I'll also add my condolences to everyone and acknowledge the deep loss to the NATS ATC community that this event has caused.

ayrprox
28th Jan 2005, 22:42
:(
I was deeply saddened by the news. I have not known ray for as long as many of the posters here, but as they say first impressions last, and ray was definitely one of the good guys and it was a privelige to have worked with him.
My thoughts go to his family.

RIP
:sad:

AyrTC
29th Jan 2005, 13:15
Ray's funeral is going to be on Thursday 3rd of Feb 1400hrs Ayr Crematorium. B Watch sleep day, C Watch days.

Our thought's are with you Ray especially tomorrow on the morning shift.

Dave

Bigears
30th Jan 2005, 15:33
Shocked to hear the news, (was away on A/L), and can only agree with the tributes.
I didn't have the privilege of working on the same watch as Ray, and we passed like 'ships in the night', but he never failed to say 'hello' in the passing.
Sadly missed.:sad:

Llamapoo
31st Jan 2005, 15:37
I was told of Ray's death on Friday night and was absolutely shocked. For all my years in NATS, Ray and the other 'usual suspects' from Scottish were always my favourite visitors to Bournemouth, and I would arrange my schedule around football and nights in the pub with them (and usually an even later night in the hotel bar).

I know Ray will be up there teaching St Peter the finer points of nutmegging (yes, me too!) young whipper-snapper scientists from the EU. If I grow up to have half his class, I'll be a lucky man.

Tab

surfingatco
31st Jan 2005, 20:00
I, like everyone, was shocked to hear the sad news. I knew Ray back in the days of Redbrae FC in the Ayrshire league (the 70s to you youngsters), but anytime I've seen him (infrequently) over the years he's been the same old Ray, talking football and asking after my family. One of the good guys!

My sincere condolences go to his family and my thoughts will be with him on Thursday at 2pm.

RIP Ray

Mike Inglis, TC

BobAgg
2nd Feb 2005, 12:57
Saddenend to hear of the news, I was one of the youngsters that Ray nutegged too many times to remember at the 5s.

Hadn't seen Ray that often since I left Scottish a few years back for the College, but he always took time out to give me a few words of encouragement and advice when I went back for OJT, for which I was greatful.

Thoughts are with Ray's family and friends, RIP.

GH

Findo
4th Feb 2005, 11:28
Ray's funeral was yesterday.

Bigger crowd than Turriff United ever got. Probably over 200 in the crematorium with another 150 "locked out" Thanks to the folks who travelled from Manchester, Aberdeen and other long distances. I know many old friends couldn't get there from Europe but you were not forgotten. Sandra and the girls appreciated the turnout.

Operational staff again pulled out all the stops to cover in the most unusual ways.

A great send off for a great pal.

Talkdownman
10th Feb 2005, 23:13
Very, very sad to read this.

I have been privileged. Ray was a most kind and generous companion during my NATCS youth in '67 at Redbrae, the 'Links', the 'Beach', the ' 'coyle', the 'Golden Eagle'........

My sincere condolences to his family.