PDA

View Full Version : Accident Report

hobie
27th Jan 2005, 21:24
Could anyone direct me to a report on an accident at Shannon (SNN) Airport involving an Excecutive Jet - crashed during take off - approx 8 souls on board - incident took place around twenty(20) years ago (it could be more)

cringe
30th Jan 2005, 19:46
Are you sure it was a jet? If not, HB-LHT (a Piper Cheyenne II) crashed after takeoff from SNN in 1976.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=55982&key=0

hobie
31st Jan 2005, 14:35
cringe, many thanks for that input .... you are correct ...... the incident sounds very much like the one I have in mind and I'm gratefull for the link/info you have posted .....

cheers ... hobie :ok:

Global Pilot
1st Feb 2005, 04:00
Iteresting post! I don't wish to appear morbid by my interest but I was unaware of this accident at Shannon, an airport I frequent regularly

An even more interesting NTSB report. Departing in fog, quater of a mile with sky obscured and the field below minimas. The report states the aircraft departed on a VFR flight plan. In these conditions and with Geneva as your destination, I would have expected an IFR plan. What was the alternate in the event of a failure on take off?

Controlled fight into ground/water. I don't know what the departure runway was but if it was 24 (assuming a calm wind the pilot may have elected for 24 heading to Geneva), entering the water in 34F must have been horrific! Must also have proven very difficult for the airport fire service to launch a rescue attempt in fog.

hobie
1st Feb 2005, 17:44
GP, subject incident came up recently in conversation and although I was in SNN at the time, memory dulls after so long .... I'm almost certain it was 06 and crash site was in/around Aerospace's Hangar (built since) ..... not sure why water was mentioned although if you walk around any Shannon field in November your likely to end upto your neck in the stuff at some stage ..... I remember visibility was desperate at the time ..... PAS's were DEC computer guys going back to HQ after a trip up to DEC Galway ....

I have not been able to find any more info than that in the NTSB link kindly provided by C ......

Global Pilot
5th Feb 2005, 16:24
Hobie, indeed some more info on this accident would be welcome.
WHen I think about it a bit more 06 makes more sense in nil wind. Mag track to Strumble is about 110 out of Shannon so off 06 a shorter change in heading is required to get on track.
Will keep an eye out for any more info on this one.