PDA

View Full Version : Air Law exam panic!

Captainkarl
27th Jan 2005, 15:23
I need help, Im 15 (still in school:D ) Have to pass airlaw before 7th april, Im worried I need help/advice on how to learn it, I have a trev tom manual and a oxford airlaw cdrom and Ppl confuser/fesser?

Im just panicing as I am the only 1 in the whole family with avgas running through me lol Please help me sum1,

topcat450
27th Jan 2005, 15:32
Firstly, calm down, 7th April is plenty of time.

If you've already got Trevor Thom, and a Oxford CD AND the confuser you ought to breeze it.

I'm a self-confessed thicko and I managed a pass with less than you've got. Don't fret about it and the confuser will help you loads, just make sure you have read the TT books too for the odd questions which aren't in the confuser.

Seriously, it's not that difficult. :ok: Good luck

Captainkarl
27th Jan 2005, 15:35
wat topics are 100% gurarteed to be in the paper?

LondonJ
27th Jan 2005, 16:04
Nothing is 100% guaranteed to be on a paper but Air law is just a fairly dry learning exercise there are no tricky concepts to worry about. I learnt mine out of the Pratt Books which are excellent but I'm sure what you have is just fine.

3 months is absolutely huge amounts of time, if you really concentrated on it you should be able to learn it in a couple of days. Make sure you don't gloss over the hard facts, learn what VFR minima is in all the airspaces, the wake turbulence spacing requirements, hand signals, quadrantal rule and so on. Believe me I have met some absolute idiots who passed, its a hell of a lot easier than the GCSEs that I assume you're revising for.

Whirlygig
27th Jan 2005, 16:27
As was mentioned above, nothing is guarantted to be on the paper but

1. light signals
2. signals square
3. runway markings
4. quadrantal rule
5. classes of airspace
6. Bit of history on ICAO (maybe)
7. VMC minima
8. licence entitlements

for starters.

I had a similar panic when I did mine as I had no idea what to expect or what level the exams were ppitched at. There is another book called Q&A for the Private Pilot's Licence which is very good. The standard in that book is slightly higher than that found in the real thing.

Don't worry.

Cheers

Whirlygig

Captainkarl
27th Jan 2005, 16:34
Quadrantel Rule, Could someboy enlighten me on this subject without me refering to a manual?

Whirlygig
27th Jan 2005, 16:43
No. It's in Trevor Thom and you really do need to learn it for yourself. Not being school ma'am-ish here, honest. It's to do with flight levels as a clue.

However, if you think you are going to target my eight points above to narrow your study time down, just remember there will be another 32 questions.

Cheers

Whirlygig

Captainkarl
27th Jan 2005, 16:53
another 32:oh: wats the pass mark? Do airlines find out these marks if you go into employemnt with them (atpl of course)

adwjenk
27th Jan 2005, 17:14
Hey

i did Air law in 1 week and walked away with 98% pass so dont panic.

Yes the airlines will look for exam results from your fATPL ground school they will also be intrested in your skill test passes on the CPL and most deffently the IR.

Dont worry wht i did was go through the CD make NOTES!!!!! from the CD and learn them and use the book for refrence and the confuser when u feel confident, sit down and have a crack.
Anything ur not sure use the CD and book.
But make notes which u can carry with you and revise nothing worse then thinking before the exam, theres something on the CD you need to know but cant think of it. Hopefully will be in your notes.

Also you should be good at making notes if your still at school!!!

Pass mark is 75% by the way

Best of luck

ADWJENK

Aussie Andy
27th Jan 2005, 17:20
Andy's recipe for success in the air law exam:
[list=1] read Trevor Thom a chapter at a time
answer the questions in the back for each chapter
repeat steps 1&2 until finished the book
get "the confuser" and/or subscribe to www.airquiz.com and start doing practice questions for Air Law
revise ONLY the questions you get wrong (saves time)
when you are consistently getting over 95% RUN DOWN TO THE FLYING CLUB AND DO THE TEST STRAIGHT AWAY
Pass
Forget[/list=1]Worked for me...!

Andy :ok:

S-Works
27th Jan 2005, 17:31
My recipe for passing exam:

Procrastinate for ages
Pick up Thom book, read all evening
Next day take exam, score 97%
Drink Beer and forget most of it.

Whirlygig
27th Jan 2005, 17:32
Captainkarl,

Are you doing PPL? CPL? or ATPL?

If PPL, then no, airlines won't find out your marks for PPL (although, as I don't work for an airline, I stand to be corrected). They will be far more concerned with ATPL marks.

For PPL, there are 40 multiple choice questions to be answered in one and a half hours.

Why do you need to do it by the 7 April. Are you with a flight school? They should be helping you with this sort of information.

If you are doing CPL/ATPL exams then you should be registered with a ground school as that is the only way of the CAA having some guarantee that you have done the required study time.

Cheers

Whirlygig

Blinkz
27th Jan 2005, 17:48
my guess is that its his birthday and he wants to fly solo? (i.e needing airlaw)

and at 15 I really hope hes not doing ATPL lol.

Airlaw is just learning it, there no east route. Just read the stuff, test, read again.

Its not hard in the slightest, all you have to do is know it. easy eh.

Good luck.

TheKentishFledgling
27th Jan 2005, 18:32
Matey - I'm afraid you're going to have to sit down and learn it! It's the one exam that's most like a school exam - stuff to learn.

Best way (and the way I did it) is to read bits of it whenever, and as often as possible (in the car, on the bus, lunchtime, whatever!). When you're confident do a practice paper. See how it goes. Concentrate where you went wrong. Try another paper. If you stuff up again, re-read it all and try again.

Good luck.

tKF
(air law pass on 4/7/03 according to logbook - 21 days prior to solo day / 16th bday!)

DubTrub
27th Jan 2005, 21:28
Karl, you could open the book, read and inwardly digest...

..instead of posting on PPRuNe.

Air law is not rocket science, it's about studying the subject.

Hows the GCSE's (or whatever they're called this year) coming along?:}

You could of course bribe Flying Lawyer to take the exam for you!:rolleyes:

Captainkarl
27th Jan 2005, 22:32
This is sumat i must do for myself, the GCSES are time consuming with the coursework! 2 weeks work exp next week with bonus avaition at cranfield!!!!!!!!!

LondonJ
28th Jan 2005, 01:34
Bonus aviation at Cranfield?:confused:

I remember doing my PPL exams at the same time as my AS's, did my human factors exam on the same day as Pure Maths! (airfield and school were conveniently next door to each other). Was a pain because I found the aviation stuff a hell of a lot more interesting than anything I was 'supposed' to be learning. Sorry and now to the point: if you find the stuff interesting then it shouldn't really be a chore but concentrate on your GCSE's I'm sure pruner's that fly for the airlines will agree that a good set of GCSE passes are for more important than getting solo on your 16th birthday.

Yorks.ppl
28th Jan 2005, 07:11
Others have already said it but study trevor thom, do the Q&As in trevor thom, then do the confuser untill you get 100% every time, then do the exam.
It works. 96% virtually guaranteed. (and should be better)
The exam is nowhere near as demanding as you think its going to be so dont worry.

DRJAD
28th Jan 2005, 09:03
Recipe:

Read the Book (Thom book 2 : and it's only half of it).
Refrain from agonising about anything.
Take the examination.

If you're interested enough in aviation as a whole you will have retained enough information to pass, otherwise you are likely to fail.

There is no point working yourself close to hysteria about any of it - in truth, with all the PPL ground examinations, you need to be able to remember enough calmly to make you a safe pilot in practice: not cram enough to pass a ground examination. Basic understanding of the subjects is worth far more to you and to others in the sky and below it than cramming enough into short term memory to pass, and then forgetting most of it, or never understanding the principles in the first place.

I believe that virtually all aviators will have enough interest in the subject to retain the principles if they approach it calmly. As others have said, between now and 7th April is a long time: a calm reading of the Thom book (the half of it which refers to Aviation Law) will enable you to cover the examination syllabus with ease.

As ever, when coming to paper itself, basic (really basic) examination technique is a boon: i.e. read the question and understand it before attempting to select an answer!

[Altered to correct a typographical error, only observed after initial posting.]

oliversarmy
28th Jan 2005, 09:20
As other people have said DONT PANIC !

I did my PPL over 18months ending with the skills test which i completed (and passed) last November.....I havent studied for anything since being at school some 17 years ago so initially found the work hard but after the first few weeks of reading the TT books I discovered that the actual subjects were not that hard its the volume that gets yer.

I think the Air Law has the edge because its the first one you have to do and pass before you can go solo so there is a lot riding on it.....if I can pass it so can you !!

OA

Gertrude the Wombat
28th Jan 2005, 17:03
Have to pass airlaw before 7th april Why?

Isn't it rather more important to learn it properly and be safe, however long it takes?

I don't want to meet anyone up there who has crammed for an exam in a hurry, scraped through with minimum pass mark and immediately forgotten it all, thanks very much.

(Sure, some of the stuff in Air Law is complete crap that you don't need to know for safety or any other sane reasons, but until you're in a position to judge which is which you'd best learn it all properly, eh?)

Maxflyer
28th Jan 2005, 18:54
Read it and learn.

The Chicago Convention is worth studying.

Give up the "Text Speak", you'll find most people prefer decent English Grammar.

Rant over.

;)

LondonJ
30th Jan 2005, 22:11
Did you know in the English dictionary the definition for Boring is 'Chicago Convention'. :bored:

I guess you have to know it though.

G SXTY
31st Jan 2005, 12:01
If it's any consolation, ATPL Air Law is even worse, and even more boring.

Degree level tedium as opposed to GCSE. :ok:

Sgt.Peppeh
10th Feb 2005, 14:41
Hello Son,

Panic ? I am over 50 twice your age and recently took up flying(though I have been around it since I was a kid). What I would say,you`d still make a damn good pilot even if you ever have to retake exams, it is for your own good to retake & pass. Aviation exams are not for cramming,you really need to KNOW & apply them.
Take it from me son, you`ll make an even better pilot,should you have to retake exams. Once it sticks in the memory,you`ll be better than OK.

Sarge.:8