PDA

View Full Version : JAA ATPL(frozen) to FAA

high-flyer
26th Jan 2005, 19:46
Guys

I'd appreciate a little help.

I have a UK issued JAA CPL/IR with MCC done. No type rating. Have been offered a job flying an N reg aircraft (twin turbine >12500lbs), so need an FAA type qualification.

Is it the case that i can do the type rating in the US (after lots of TSA paperwork etc), FAA medical, and sit the FAA type rating test check ride and have the licence converted?

Your help is appreciated.

Regards

high-flyer

KitKatPacificuk
26th Jan 2005, 22:18
High Flyer,

I did almost the same thing in June 04.

I have a CAA frozen ATPL with instructor rating and I wanted to get my FAA CFII.

Therefore I had to take the FAA Commercial written and IR written. Fly 3 hours with an FAA instructor so he could endorse me ready for the Commercial checkride with an Examiner.
I also had to fly another 3 hours with an instructor for the FAA IR endorsement, to show I'm ready for the IR test.

(The FAR AIM states 3 hours of flying required with an authorised instructor in the preceeding 60 days to the test.)

I took both flight tests at the same time and the IR side of the test was for me to demonstrate my proficiency since I already had an IR from an ICAO state.

After that, I then had a FAA Commercial/IR. But only on a single engine. If you want a multi commercial it'll have to be done in a twin.

I then had to do all the CFI, CFII and FOI writtens and get sign offs etc. And do the tests with an examiner.

So they will not just convert them.

So once you get as far as the Multi Commercial IR you will then go on for the type rating instead of the instructor route.

Luckily I didn't have to worry about the TSA last year.

If you a doing a type rating you'll need to wait until the TSA have approved you before you start the type rating.

It took me about 3 weeks to study, fly and take the tests for the Commercial IR.

Any more questions please PM me.

Hope this helps.

Tinstaafl
27th Jan 2005, 00:52
The MCC & JAR ATPL exams are meaningless here. As far as the FAA is concerned you have an ICAO CPL & ICAO IR. Nothing else.

If you have the hours for an FAA ATP then your best option is to do that. The FAA ATP includes an integral IR so only one exam & flight test ('checkride' in the US vernacular). If you're doing a type rating you can usually include the ATP specific items in the type rating checkride, thereby gaining both things in one hit.

Compared (UK flight tests) you can expect a rather thorough grilling from the check airman when you do the flight test. You'll be expected to answer operational scenario type questions at the level of the licence for which you're being tested. The ATP flight test is more or less an instrument rating flight test but using tighter tolerances compared to JAR eg quarter scale deflection for approach tolerances instead of half scale, similarly tightened with altitudes etc.

On the plus side, you'll find the (single) theory exam to be relatively easy. The bit I found most difficult was the rules & regs because they're so foreign. Don't forget the US uses TERPS and not PANS-OPS, statute miles for vis etc etc. Also the flight test is usually done using 'pop up' requests for approaches and not using an IFR plan & route. That *can* make things easy when it's quiet, but if really busy you can find yourself wishing for a nice long route sector!

high-flyer
27th Jan 2005, 06:32
Thanks for the replies so far guys.

I understood that i could start the type rating based on my foreign licence, then sit a CPL/IR checkride as part of the TR. I have less than 1500 hrs, so i think the FAA ATP is out of the question for now. The TR will be limited to non-PIC ops only until 1500 hrs reached.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to who to contact to get the definitive answer?

Thanks

high-flyer