PDA

View Full Version : Buying GPS & Transcievers in the USA

topcat450
26th Jan 2005, 17:11
OK so 2 questions:

GPS: I'm looking at buying a GPS and they seem to look cheaper in the US (just browsing Sporty's website), particularly with the current exchange rate. If I do buy one there I presume it'll come with a US database, if I stick to a well known brand like Garmin will I be able to install a European database when I get back? Anyone know how much that'll cost?
and it will be being delivered to a US address where I'll actually pick it up and so 'shouldn't' have to worry about import/courier fee's

Hand-Held Transcievers: Again, these look cheaper in the USA. I understand that it'll have to be CAA approved and so I can't just buy anyone out there, but, if I again stick to a known brand like Icom actually where I buy it won't make a difference will it? An Icom A23 will be the same if it's sold in the US and/or Europe won't it? This'll only be used as a back-up but I'd still rather not fall foul of some law/legislation I don't know of.

Cheers

TC

Genghis the Engineer
26th Jan 2005, 17:17
GPS shouldn't give you any problem, just make sure you get the right database.

For a transponder, do check - some ICOM models are specifically not approved in the UK, the A5 for example. There's an "approved list" on the CAA's website somewhere.

G

Sensible
26th Jan 2005, 17:32
So far as the transceiver is concerned, I have an Icom Navicom IC-A22 which I purchased in the USA. It is a USA unit and the only difference between that and a UK version is that the A22 has weather channels programmed into it and it is a lot cheaper to buy the USA version in the USA. Sadly the UK doesn't have weather channels and so that part is redundant here. Other than that, everything seems to work the same here or there!

Look at this thread regarding GPS units, in the end I didn't bother changing because I mostly rent aircraft with moving map GPS fitted.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126577&highlight=GPS

skydriller
26th Jan 2005, 18:39
If you check the sporty's catalogue you should find that for each Garmin GPS there is a different code for each of the database/map areas, so you choose the North Atlantic International/Europe option (someone correct me with the correct title??) code, no problems....:ok:

I got my GPS from sporty's when over in the USA with the correct database for here, no problems - and saved a bundle...

Regards, SD..

yawningdog
26th Jan 2005, 19:07
I bought the Icom ICA23 from the USA recently. It's not approved by the CAA because it has a feature that allows you to record transmissions. Otherwise it's just an ordinary tranciever.

Like you I have it as a backup, volmet checker, and general listener.

The only good thing about the Icom is that it's really nice & small. Otherwise I don't recommend it.

The main drawbacks are :

- If you connect a headset via the supplied headset adapter the onboard mic is not muted. Therefore all the background noise in the aircraft drowns out your tramsmissions from your Headset mic. The only way to overcome this is to use a seperate PTT switch which adds to amount of junk you have to carry around.

- Many headsets experience screaming feedback with the Icom. My David Clarke's and Pilot Avionics both suffer from this problem.

- If you have an electrical failure at night, the Icom's illuminated keypad only displays basic digits. Most of the function keys are painted around the keys which are not visible at night.

There's nothing special about the Icom, so check out the competition.

flyingfemme
26th Jan 2005, 19:09
If you buy a GPS with a fancy mapping option they come with two databases - the basemap (not changeable) and the area map (updateable from the internet). Buying in the US you may not be (easily) able to get a European basemap model and won't have the best possible model for use over here.

The last couple of Garmins that I have bought came with a free update coupon to get the changeable database current - this can be any area you choose so it doesn't matter which is in there when you buy.

If you intend to swap databases often and fly on multiple continents then you won't get a basemap that does them all anyway - get what's available or that which you use most often.

SR20flyDoc
26th Jan 2005, 19:54
The Garmin handhelds have a America's basemap OR International basemap. You can't change it. So go for a Lowrance (500 or 1000) or second hand 100 , with a high resolution basemap for the US, and a low resolution basemap worldwide. But with installable maps on SD or MMC cards

You can order with US or International aviation database, or download this data to a SD or MMC card. (500 or 1000 only , 100 on floppy to serial cable)

S.

Flyin'Dutch'
26th Jan 2005, 21:50
It is alleged that ICOM Europe will not honour any warranties on non Europe purchased units.

I am not sure whether that is true or not but stopped me from getting a US one a few years back. Have to say that the exchange rate was not as favourable as it is currently.

Evil J
26th Jan 2005, 23:01
I bought Sporty's own brand transceiver awhile back (at a knock down price) and its fine over here; don't know anything about approvals its only for back-up!!

ChrisVJ
27th Jan 2005, 04:32
You might want to be a bit careful if considering a Lowrance. I love the unit but it turns out the software for Canada costs more than the unit itself. The software has to be custom configured by Lowrance, and after lots of excuses it seems it will be cheaper for me to buy a Garmin 196 than mapping for Canada.

Don't know about software for Europe though.

bintheredonethat
27th Jan 2005, 08:53
The Garmin Base maps are not amendable. The americas base map is quite useless over here. Coast lines for example are just very very rough approximations of the truth. (several miles adrift and all straight lines).
I nearly got caught out flying into USA and not having swapped my two Garmin 295's over mid way across Atlantic . letting down over the 'sea' near Goose Bay and found myself firmly over terra very firma!.
A serious error to buy garmin 295/6 in USA.
happy adventures:

Pronto
27th Jan 2005, 11:44
May I sound a note of caution here? You may recall the recent case of Colleen McLoughlin (soccer player Wayne Rooney's girlfriend) and her recent encounter with Customs. (for those who need a reminder, here's a link: http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,10089-1385976,00.html)

You may import goods from outside the EU to a total value of £145 without the payment of duty. If the value of the goods exceeds £145, you pay duty and VAT on the full value of all the goods. So far as I can recall, the value for duty purposes is "CIF" (ie, cost (to buy), any insurance and freight charges). However, the value for VAT purposes is the sum of the CIF value and the duty you've just paid...

Getting the goods delivered to a US address is irrelevant. They were still bought outside the EU and so are liable to duty and VAT.

The link to the relevant part of the Customs website is: http://intranet.hmce.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageImport_ShowContent&propertyType=document&resetCT=true&id=HMCE_CL_001734

Sourcing these goods in the US may not be such a good deal after all.

tmmorris
27th Jan 2005, 17:35
Interesting question, though, what are goods?

E.g. when I go to America I buy clothes and wear them while I'm there. They've usually even been washed once or twice by the time I bring them home.

Are they 'goods'? I'd say they were personal effects which I need for my day to day life, so I don't declare them.

Now, what about that GPS? If you buy it in the US to use while flying there, then bring it home, is it still 'goods'?

T

slim_slag
27th Jan 2005, 18:14
yes they are goods, and in the real world nobody gives a damn (unless you make it bleeding obvious like what Posh Spice did with her rock)

Just remembered a mate who bought a laptop in the states and as it was for business he declared it, his logic being that he could claim the VAT back anyway. Customs officer got suspicious of this law abiding citizen acting like a fool and thought my mate was carrying something he did care about (like drugs) and took my mate in for a thorough grilling. You can decide on the moral of this story.

Wide-Body
27th Jan 2005, 18:26
If you plan on being a com pilot don't be tempted to mess with customs.

If you are caught "smuggling" goods in. And the customs guys ain't stupid. You May get prosecuted. If that hapens and your found guilty forget a flying job because you will not get an airside pass.

Sorry to be a nanny

Wide

TB-20
28th Jan 2005, 22:03
I agree with the comments regarding the Garmin GPS units, they are accurate but not complete.

I lived in the US for a while and bought a US GPSMAP-295 and a transceiver, both of which work over this side of the pond. For the GPS however I needed to add the base map by using a memory card and Garmin MapSource software - neither of which are that cheap. The good thing is that you then have a GPS that you can use worldwide once you load the aviation databases.

I've just upgraded to the 296 (nice piece of kit) but it has the same "problem" with the base map.

Sporty's do sell the Atlantic version but the saving is not that great especially if you shop around on the net. I ended up buying from Transair when they had their 10% discount.

Hope this helps.