PDA

View Full Version : Best practice for finding Aerodrome jobs?

italiancars
26th Jan 2005, 14:23
Hi all,

new to this forum, pointed here from a friend.

As the thread title says I was wanting some "best practise" advice from anyone on going about finding vacancies for tower only positions or authorities willing to train you in approach if you have tower rating (never validated still student).

I know you can check Flight mag and have a look here, but is it still a good idea just to contact people speculatively as I know the ATC world is small and this could be perceived as desperate if the people concerned speak to each other, if you follow my thoughts.

thanks in advance. :ok:

edited to say: if anyone knows of any vacancies but does not want to post up on the forum but would like some more information on me then please PM me or email me direct.

ILS 119.5
26th Jan 2005, 16:13
Why don't you try writing to Bournemouth ATC.

italiancars
26th Jan 2005, 16:32
I do have the contact number for Bournemouth as I was thinking a fall back plan would be to approach some local units and see if they would let me build up my hours unpaid if I got my APC which I need to use my Aerodrome ratings ADV & ADI while doing some other kind of work.

Forgot to add, I am completely mobile in the UK for the right position, therefore doesn't have to be South of England.

side-saddled
27th Jan 2005, 19:49
Italiancars,

I have been through your situation not too long ago and there are a few pieces of advice I can offer you.

1) Send letters with a CV to every airport in the UK you would be willing to work at, including a phone number they can easily contact you on.
It is also sometimes an idea to ring up and speak to the SATCO in person before sending this letter, to explain your situation.
A voice is harder to ignore than a letter and they will generally tell you to send one for their files.
(Phone No.s in the AIP. Ask for the SATCO's name or to speak to them. I found lists of names and addresses given to me or on the internet were wrong.)

This is not viewed as desparate and I would not be a valid controller today if I had not sent out about 25 speculative letters looking for employment when I was in your situation.

Although airports do get a large number of speculative letters, and it will seem that you get a standard letter in reply saying no vacancies and they'll keep you on file, people will actually get back to you if they are in need of controllers and I found a lot of people to be extremely helpful and encouraging even though they could not offer me employment.

2) Try your local airport. Although this did not work for myself, airports are more likely to employ someone who is likely to stay in the area because their family is there etc.
The last thing an employer wants to think is that once trained, you'll up sticks and move on to somewhere offering a better deal.

3)"I was thinking a fall back plan would be to approach some local units and see if they would let me build up my hours unpaid "

Sounds like a brilliant idea and many people used to do it, however a lot of airports now have problems with insurance and cannot allow you to do this. You generally have to be an employee in that company to be included in their insurance policy.

By all means ring round and try, it may still be possible.
I believe you could also possibly claim some kind of job seekers allowance if working for free, but this is an area you would have to look into and I'm not entirely sure it's correct.

Another option is to offer to work for them as an ATSA while being trained etc. Didn't actually try this approach myself but I have met people who did this and it worked out for them in the end.

4) "if I got my APC which I need to use my Aerodrome ratings ADV & ADI"

I wouldn't do your APC until you've found employment because it only gives you six months after passing to start training or you'll have to do another.
If you need any info on the Tower APC etc, let me know.

5) "while doing some other kind of work."

While looking for jobs as a controller, try and stay within the aviation industry, particularly ATC if you can as this gives you operational experience which employers will be looking for, particularly if you have never validated your licence.

6) Consider self funding through an approach procedural or approach radar course.
You can get career development loans in order to do this and it will make you considerably more employable, although will not immediately get you a job.

7) Make as many contacts in the industry as you can. A recomendation by a friend working at an airport goes a long way.

But most of all, don't give up.
It took me a year to eventually get a job and start using my licence.
There are many hoops you'll have to jump through, but the end result is definately worth it.

Good luck and check your PM's