PDA

View Full Version : NATS re-applying?

konastabprimo
26th Jan 2005, 13:46
Dear all,

I'm just about to apply for NATS ATC again (2nd time). Was wondering if this is a common thing? Do many people re-take and become successfull? Also wondering how those people who did re-take found the interview the second time round, does it change or follow the same format each time?

Just wondering;)

cheers

AutoP
26th Jan 2005, 16:01
I applied for the 2nd time and just had my tests the other day. The only difference I've noticed so far is that it took only 2 days to process my application form and I had my tests less than two weeks after sending it to them (it was over 6 months the last time I applied). Can't help you with the 2nd interview stage - I think I totally screwed up the spatial awareness tests this 2nd time round! I'm sure I felt that last time, but this time I barely answered half the questions. I'm 100% sure I did better in the 4 other tests, but I don't think it works like that. Good luck anyway.

Evil J
26th Jan 2005, 16:11
If it heartens you, the vast majority of people on my course did not get in on first application. It seems that if you are motivated enough to come back and try again you stand a much better chance of getting in.

Best of luck

Armitage
26th Jan 2005, 16:53
You should definitely re-apply. I passed on my second attempt and am of to the college later this year, subject to my medical next week. I have also spoken to a lot of successful, valid controllers who passed on their 2nd and sometimes 3rd attempt.

The test day and interview day follow the same format and as AutoP mentioned the procedure is now a lot quicker!

If you have any other questions regarding the test/ interview days I will do my best to help!

Good luck!

Ax

5milesbaby
26th Jan 2005, 17:16
I passed the second time as did half my course, there were even a few who took the maximum three attempts. The ones that eventually validated didn't follow any particular trend either, once more a mixture of all attempts.

From what I remember the format was basically the same other than in the interviews they would ask slightly different questions as well as the one "so whats different this time round from the last". Make sure you have a good answer for that one.

5mb :ok:

SantaUK
26th Jan 2005, 18:24
A lot of people get through second time...

They look for it in the interview, people that are wanting to go get through so much that they keep applying...

Go For It!!!

BALIX
26th Jan 2005, 19:26
This isn't a new thing, either. I got in at the second attempt back in 1981.

Good luck :ok: :ok:

konastabprimo
27th Jan 2005, 15:50
All sounds really positive.

Thanks all for your replies. I really want this bad, was totally gutted after the interview - I built it up too much and so was equally as upset when I didn't get through. Left it for a few months afterwards only to realise that every time I see a plane in the sky I think of ATC - which is pretty often in London! I like the the fact it is quicker 2nd time round, took over a year from application to interview 1st time!!

Thanks again for your time, I'll let you know how I do.

Cheers,
KSP:ok:

Someone_Else
28th Jan 2005, 13:01
I got in on second attempt last June and am now at the college working towards a Area rating. As other people have commented it is not unusual for a lot of the course to be second or third attemptees :O

Stick at it and good luck!

(edited as per Heathrow Directors post!)

Standard Noise
1st Feb 2005, 15:45
Am I the only one here who got in on my first go?:p

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Feb 2005, 16:08
<<I got in on second attempt last June and am now at the college working towards a Area validation>>

Sorry to be pedantic, butdo you mean "rating" rather than "validation"? If you mean the latter they're really whacking you people through fast! When I were a lad it would take about 4 years to reach that stage!

Someone_Else
1st Feb 2005, 19:20
Sorry to be pedantic, butdo you mean "rating" rather than "validation"? If you mean the latter they're really whacking you people through fast! When I were a lad it would take about 4 years to reach that stage!

Ok Ok, well spotted! Running before walking there! :D

SE

runtobarlu
2nd Feb 2005, 09:23
When I was a lad, I had to join as an ATCA Grade 1 (at a unit a long way from where I lived at the time - with no complaints may I add ). Third time around, I finally got an interview. Sorry to see that these days, two attempts is doing peoples heads in.

Sign of the times !!!!

pumuckl
2nd Feb 2005, 10:15
Sorry to see that these days, two attempts is doing peoples heads in. runtobarlu - that is probably because in the olden days you got as many attempts to get in as you wanted (I spoke to an ATSA who tried 10 times!) - these days you get 3 and that's it.

Scotsliveit
2nd Feb 2005, 10:43
I must admit to being very proud at getting through first time and starting CATC under a year from applying. My wee maw is very proud too.

Don't think it really makes a difference practically as long as you get there.

I think though trying again certainly for one thing shows you're trully committed.

Good Luck to All

konastabprimo
2nd Feb 2005, 11:02
Yeah fair comment runtobarlu... I wasn't aware of all these stories though... thanks all for your comments, certainly I'm not on me own which is interesting.

Good luck to ya all

foghorn
2nd Feb 2005, 13:05
I got through first time after applying at 29 3/4.

I'm 32 in a couple of weeks and start at the college in March.

Winter2004
2nd Feb 2005, 14:54
I'm a first timer too!

First applied in August 2004, got the acceptance email in November 2004, had the medical Jan 2005, just waiting for start date now which is FUN!

Winter

sla
2nd Feb 2005, 17:36
I got in second time round - first time they said I was too young, try again when I was a bit older.

I waited 9 years which seemed to do the trick!;) I'm looking forward to starting college hopefully in June. Can't wait!