PDA

View Full Version : Airfields not in Pooleys/AFE

topcat450
26th Jan 2005, 08:46
Studying my charts for new fields to visit, I have found plenty of strips (often noted as microlight but not always) which just aren't in my AFE guide. They claim to cover more airfields than pooleys and so is there any other sources for finding out about these smaller strips, or is it just a case of googling?

Is there a separate guide which microlighters use?

Ta in advance

Mariner9
26th Jan 2005, 09:53
Dont know about microlight books, but Lockyears farmstrip guide contains more strips than AFE/Pooleys.

ozplane
26th Jan 2005, 10:42
If you know a friendly farmer they have a list of farm strips of members who operate aircraft. There does seem to be an element of secret handshakes and rolled-up cord trousers to it though. I guess they want to keep the neighbours happy.

Genghis the Engineer
26th Jan 2005, 13:27
Many of the PFA struts keep "local lists", best thing to do is contact them directly - or see if they have a strut website.

G

FlyingForFun
26th Jan 2005, 15:12
In the past, if I've found an airfield marked on the chart, but not found it in AFE, Pooleys or Lockyears, then a Google search has sometimes turned up a phone number which I've been able to use to get PPR.

On other occassions, asking around the local flying clubs has turned up someone who knows someone who once flew with a friend of the owner of the strip..... you get the idea ;)

FFF
-------------

Evil J
26th Jan 2005, 16:15
And if none of that works, chances are they don't want visitors!!

bintheredonethat
27th Jan 2005, 09:03
The people referred to are the Flying Farmers Association (FFA)
and they have a web-site available to all.
members only can get details of all airstrips (about 200) .
membership is not expensive and to be eligeable you need to demonstrate an interest in aviation and some form of rural interest (and preferably a strip to reciprocate but that latter not necessary).
All trips strictly PPR as we all have, as well said, severe restrictions and noise abatement procedures.
We are not too keen on 'strip hunters' who just turn up for fun. --often make a low fly-by under excuse of 'checking suitability etc' and generally misbehave.
if you fly sensibly and demonstrate a need to visit a strip then usually fine, Go ahead and apply for membership details on website (via Google)

pistongone
28th Jan 2005, 15:24
Buy a copy of Nav Box you dont need the expensive one, just £17.50 and it has all the strips and some that arent even on the map, actually a lot that arent on the map. Phone numbers runway orientation alt etc all there and a great flight p[lane prog too!!!