PDA

View Full Version : Pointers to Research

country calls
25th Jan 2005, 21:03
I have recently discovered that a relative of mine while serving on 462 Sqn RAAF,was killed in Tripoli, on or about 20 April 1943, possibly when a bomb loading operation went wrong.

I have a couple of queries that I would like to resolve and wondered if anyone on the forum would be able to steer me in the right direction.

My Uncle was British and joined the Royal Air Force in 1940, but was listed on his service record as being on the strength of a RAAF Sqn at the time of his death. Was this a common occurence?

Has anyone got any experience of researching F540s at the Public Record Office? Would 462 Sqn have lodged F540s with UK archives, given evidence I have seen that it seems to have been Australian in name only?

Any clues or advice pointing me in the right direction gratefully received. Thanks in Advance!

CC

Archimedes
25th Jan 2005, 22:42
As a starter at the PRO, AIR 27/1915 may have 462 Sqn's Operational Record books, although the file appears to have 461 Sqn in there as well - 'it says 'and 462 Sqn' in the catalogue.

AIR 27/1916 is listed as containing 462's ORB, while AIR 27/1917 would appear to cover the period from Jan 1944 (but, in my experience, it's always worth a look to see if earlier material has crept into a supposedly later file).

This may have the information you're looking for in it, but that depends upon the person who kept the records - some are more like diaries of what happened to the sqn in general, while others are literaly just a record of operations.

You might also be able to get hold of the individual's service record, but not at the PRO (sorry, National Archives - never get used to the rebranding...): To quote their site:

"The National Archives is not the place for service records, as these are still with the Ministry of Defence. Ex-servicemen and next-of-kin may obtain brief details by writing to: PMA (CS) 2a(2), RAF Innsworth, Gloucester GL3 1EZ."

Suggest that you have a look
here (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/airforce/step6.htm) and you can navigate around the PRO site from that page too.

Hope this helps a little; also, the RAF Museum may well be able to assist, as might the Air Historical Branch (now at Bentley Priory) which will have squadron records as well. As 462 served in North Africa and then the UK, it is likely that all the surviving records (or copies of them) will be held in the UK, whatever might also exist in Australia.

You might also have a quick look here (http://www.awm.gov.au/units/unit_11167.asp) ; the Australian War Memorial site (the page has a nav bar, so again you can get to other bits of the site which might help find record books, etc). You'll note from that webpage that the Sqn had a very high proportion of British personnel, much to the irritation of the Australian government!

Hope that this might help a little.

Pronto
26th Jan 2005, 11:50
You may also like to have a look at the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website. It has a search function which may show where your uncle is buried. Some of the records also contain biographical details.

The website is at http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/search.aspx

P

country calls
1st Feb 2005, 18:16
Thanks for all the replies they have been really useful. I am off to Kew on Saturday to have a look at the sources you have helped me with.

Just as a follow on question, my uncle was a fully qualified telegraphist in civvy street and his docs seem to indicate that he spent the first year in the RAF as a W. Oper (Wireless Operater I am assuming). But then remustered to Armourer. Does anyone know if armourers where paid more and was it a job which was a volunteer only post?

Thanks again and I will update you with any more info I get my hands on.

CC