PDA

View Full Version : UK SEP revalidation outside state of issue?

Too Low Terrain
25th Jan 2005, 09:03
Hiho

I would like to re-validate my SEP classrating, which is going to expire next month.

I have fulfilled the necessary flight times. (12 hours in last 12 months)

As I am outside the UK I would like to do my training flight in
Germany with a qualified FI(A) or CRI(A).

Is the german instructor then allowed to enter the new expiry date
into the "Certificate of Revalidation" page of the UK issued license ?

Best regards,

TLT

BEagle
25th Jan 2005, 09:28
FIs may not sign the 'Certificate of Revalidation' page - that must be done by a FE.

All you should have to do is to complete the required 1 hr training flight and get the German FI(A) to annotate 'training flight' in your logbook, together with his/her signature and licence no.

Photocopy logbook proof of the required flight time, together with the German FI(A)'s entry and a photocopy of your valid JAA Class 2 medical, fill out the CAA form 1119 which you can download from the CAA website, then send everything including your 'Certificate of Revalidation' page (keep a photocopy!) to a UK/FE(PPL) to sign before the expiry date of your Rating. He/she will then be able to send the form 1119 on to the CAA for you if you've completed it correctly, and return your 'Certificate of Revalidation' page to you duly signed.

A few €uros to cover postage etc would probably be welcomed; NO FEE is payable to the CAA (unless they do this for you!).

If you don't know a UK/FE(PPL), PM me if you wish me to do this for you.

Irv
25th Jan 2005, 09:32
Our CAA is happy with German instructors now since they signed up for JAA, but remember it's the instructor who signs the log book and an EXAMINER who signs up the rating.

It's only if you use someone who is both an examiner and an instructor for the 'hour' that the same person would sign both log book and rating.

Irv

Whoops - i see I was too slow and was 'beagled'. There is a UK examiner in Germany - Anthony Johnston near frankfurt - but I think if you actually have a JAA licence rather than an old CAA one, I seem to remember you could get a German examiner to sign. (I'd have to look it up tho to confirm - i might have imagined it)

Too Low Terrain
25th Jan 2005, 09:40
Thank you already for your replies !

Read through papers again and found the following concerning
the required training/instrucional flight:

"This instructional flight may be replaced by
any proficiency check for a class, instrument or type
rating (or, in the UK, for an IMC rating) with a JAA
qualified examiner."

I am a commercial pilot as well and scheduled for my recurrent
check next month. (Airbus A320)

As I read through the text above: Probably the TRE doing my proficieny check may sign the Certificate of Revalidation for
the SEP part, as well ?

That would be the easiest way, hm ?

Can one confirm ?

skydriller
25th Jan 2005, 09:47
I am in France with a CAA issued JAA-PPL and the CAA have been very helpfull in all issues regarding licencing requirements while over here whenever I have contacted them. I re-validated my SEP rating easily here after a quick call to check if it was OK, and had my medical renewed no problem aswell in the same way.

Having flown with my FI (who is also an Examiner!!) at the aeroclub, I had him sign the form 1119 and my licence & logbook. I then sent the form with photocopies of my Licence and Logbook signatures(as a backup, not really required, I was later informed) to the CAA - no problems.

I suspect Germany will be the same. Phone the CAA and ask.

Regards, SD..

BEagle
25th Jan 2005, 10:47
TLT - yes, that is indeed correct. But you still need to download the 1119 and give it to the TRE together with the 'Certificate of Revalidation' page in your licence for him/her to sign.

But it must be signed BEFORE the expiry date!

WestWind1950
25th Jan 2005, 11:04
In Germany it IS allowed for the flight instructor that does the one-hour training flight to sign the back of the license for the renewal: § 8 (2) 1. DV LuftPersV. It does not have to be an examiner (even though examiner is printed on the license).

I realise this is something ONLY in Germany and I wonder they got away with it (though quite convenient, I must add).

Again, it's called European harmonisation :mad:

Westy

IRISHPILOT
25th Jan 2005, 12:03
Needs to be an Examiner. However, when I wanted to get this signed by my TRE (B737), the Irish Aviation Authority insisted that he had to be Examiner for an SEP.

So, make sure he is qualified, else check with your CAA first.

cheers, IP

Stan Evil
25th Jan 2005, 13:48
The UK CAA require an Examiner's signature on the F1119 for the revalidation. For SEP revalidation by experience ANY JAA examiner will do - IRE, FE , TRE, CRE, even a Ground Examiner.

The examiner can enter the rating revalidation in your licence and sign it. All you or he then need to do is send the completed F1119 to the Belgrano - no logbooks, licences or fees (!!!) are required.

As BEagle says - get it sorted before the current rating expires or you'll need a flight test.

Too Low Terrain
25th Jan 2005, 21:50
Thank you guys so much for your assistance ! :ok:

Will contact the TRE to confirm that all goes ok.

Too Low Terrain
30th Jan 2005, 18:09
One more question concerning all this stuff please.

A good friend actually faces the following scenario:

1) Applicant does *not* have the necessary flighthours for revalidation by experience nor did he do a training flight.

2) The weather/his time does not allow him to do it until SEP part of his JARFCL-ATP expires.

---> my guess is: a complete new "on plane" checkride with an examiner is required provided the SEP had not expired for more than 5 years, correct ?
(He plans to do this around june this year, so 4 months only)

Furthermore: It can be ANY JAR approved SEP Examiner, for example a German one ?

This (german) examiner then fills out form 1119 part "B" again, signs into the "certificate of revalidation" (of the UK issued license) and sends the form to the CAA to complete paperwork.

Is that correct ??

If it is that easy itīs really not necessary to rush for those hours now during these cold months.
And as far as I understand JARFCL there should be no difference between a "german" or a "UK" examiner....hmm...?? :E

However, to be sure, we appreciate your comments on our questions.

Many many thanks,

TLT + his colleague

BEagle
30th Jan 2005, 19:53
1. Yes, all your colleague has to do is to fly a renewal LST with a FE. This must now include Section 3A.

2. Your colleague may NOT use his SEP Class Rating between the expiry date and the date of completing the renewal LST.

3. Completed 1119 must be sent to the UK CAA (assuming it's a UK-issued Rating).

4. No CAA fee to pay unless the Rating has expired by more than 5 years.

However, all this assumes that the CAA are content to accept the non-UK Examiner's assessment. Suggest you check with them....

Can you imagine the French accepting the form from a non-French Examiner..???

Gertrude the Wombat
30th Jan 2005, 20:41
Can you imagine the French accepting the form from a non-French Examiner..??? Well now, that would depend on whether or not the form is written in French, wouldn't it?:) :) :)

Too Low Terrain
31st Jan 2005, 07:13
Thank you again for your help, BEagle !

He will be glad to hear that itīs quite easy to get the license back
once it has expired (by less than 5 yrs).

Happy landings !
:ok:

Irv
31st Jan 2005, 12:11
Can you imagine the French accepting the form from a non-French Examiner..???

Our UK-resident Frenchman (french PPL) wanted me to do his training hour as part of his 12 hours.
"NON" they (the french CAA) said, in a "de Gaulle" like way.
Pleas and arguements continued in French until 'they' said that he could use me if he wanted, but then they would stamp his licence "valid in the UK only". He eventually went over to France to do it!

Another_CFI
2nd Feb 2005, 08:50
Irv,

I had the opposite experience with the French. A holder of a French issued JAR-PPL required to revalidate his SEP. I did the needful and he then sent the paperwork to the DGAC along with a photocopy of my examiner authority. No problem.